Aladdin suitcase stove

Discussion in 'Aladdin' started by Matty, May 12, 2016.

1. Matty

@Tony Press

Yes, the lantern thread I created.

Tony, you won't be disappomted in the 1A I suspect. They are brass except for the hood clips.

I do have one that is brass except for the hood clips though the hood cover and the filler cap are copper.

I have seen these lanterns scorned and I don't know why. They either don't sell or are virtually given away.

Crackle paint - Hmm, interesting, I have never seen/noticed that on any I have seen.

All the ones I've seen the paint is so poor it's nor funny and perhaps that is why they don't sell, regardless of their all brass construction and their history. Not that their history or construction is well known.

2. Matty

I was asked privately if they could see the heater stove unit as a stove. I thought I may as well show it here.

I'm proud to say the grate is an original with the Aladdin name embossed on it. They are very hard to find from my own experience. Having said that, I bought a box of parts on ebay, some burners. When the package arrived I had a great surprise as one of the Aladdin grates, not shown in the ebay listing, was in there. That gave me a grate for the spare fount & burner of one of these units I had laying around.

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Matty

I think I've got another wrecked early Aladdin 1A with (deep) green crackle paint out in the shed. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Tony

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

@Matty @Tony Press

Matty, your Aladdin stove/heater looks the same as this Radius 33 from a 1937 catalogue.

Radius_33.jpg

But of course, yours is an Aladdin.

AladdinTrivet.jpg

5. Tony Press

@Matty

Now, here is an example of why it's not "what you know", but "what you don't know" that's important:

I have two early Aladdin 1As, identical at first look, with the odd pump tube cap, old style pricker wheel, and the winged fuel filler cap, and crackled green paint. One has a steel tank, the other doesn't...

[I will post these over at CPL]

Cheers

Tony

6. Tony Press

@shagratork

The tie between Radius and Australian Aladdin is very tight in the early days...

Cheers

Tony

7. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi Tony

Yes, I know about the link up with Radius.
    In fact it did not take me long to find the catalogue image.
    Using my spreadsheet I went straight to the Radius section.

8. Matty

Tony, yes of course, this entire topic proves that. If what we didn't know wasn't important, I wouldn't bother to research.

Tony, I think I have one and perhaps two steel tanked Aladdins. Not the winged cap variety though. Having said that, remember, fuel caps can be swapped/changed.

I also have a steel founted Kayen.

Trevor, that is a nice illustration of the Radius heater/stove. Thanks for showing that. Yes, mine is an Aladdin. Not only is the grate embossed with the Aladdin name, the fuel cap and pump are Aladdin.

Whilst all three of those parts are removable, replaceable, swappable, it is unlikely all three would have been swapped. Plus, they match my second example of this Aladdin.

9. Matty

@Tony Press @shagratork

Fellas, I have been thinking about why Aladdin had such a close relationship with a manufacturer half a world away. Half a world away in a time of limited communication and not very rapid communication.

How Aladdin and Radius corrosponded over planning, designing, develeopment, testing, manufacturing, ordering, invoices, payments etc, etc, I don't know.

Aladdin had been manufacturing in Australia and the rest of the world quite hapily. They were a giant at design, developement and manufacturing of their own products. When push came to shove as the war broke out, Aladdin doesn't seem to have missed a stride and simply developed their own range (Still based on Radius of course)

Why Aladdin simply didn't do that (design & manufacture) in the first place may always be a mystery to me.

Just to keep things in perspective. This is what a plane looked like in 1932.

Then keep in mind, Aladdin's products coming from Sweden would have taken 6 months by ship. The cargo ships in those days stopped, unloaded and re-loaded, at every second port.

1932Plane.jpg

10. Matty

Soory, I just found this, I wish I had prior to my last post.

In 1931 it took 11 days to get mail from England to Australia. Then it would need to be delivered as normal mail when on the ground which takes time.

Then, you have to take into consideration there weren't thousands of mail planes, just the one. After each trip, the plane and I bet the pilot too, needed servicing which apparently took a fair bit of time.

I'd say the least time it would take to get contracts, plans, orders etc, from Australia to Sweden would be a month, I'd bet more.

The following is care of National Film and Sound Archive of Australia.

https://www.nfsa.gov.au/collection/curated/charles-kingsford-smith-arrives-melbourne-overseas-mail

"Early in November 1931 the Southern Sun departed for England on an experimental flight to examine the feasibility of operating a regular mail service between England and Australia. Carrying Christmas mail it crashed on take off from Alor Setar, Malaysia and was unable to continue the journey. With the mail salvaged Smithy came to the rescue in sister aircraft VH-UMG Southern Star and departed on 5 December arriving in England on 16 December."

11. Tantra

Tantra Subscriber

I have a the stove and 100% same
    I have to say here stove really not bad