Alcohol table stove

Discussion in 'Mystery Stoves' started by Willonthewall, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Willonthewall

Here's an odd one I picked up from ePrey. It was listed with a £5 start and I liked the look of it so put in a £5 bid. Thought no more about it till I got an email saying I'd won and could I please pay :)
    It was badly tarnished but cleaned up OK. ;)

1223903225-IMG_3893.JPG

It has a cast aluminium pan support

1223903288-IMG_3892.JPG

and a nicely fretted frame and windshield

1223903304-IMG_3891.JPG

The burner alone weighs 430g and has a solid twisted woven wick. The burner and tank together weigh in at 1.43kg - not a lightweight :shock:
    1223903323-IMG_3890.JPG 1223903339-IMG_3889.JPG

Burner closed - burner fully open

1223903365-IMG_3888.JPG 1223903380-IMG_3887.JPG

It is brass and appears to my untrained eye to be silver plated but there are absolutely no marks of any kind and I've gone over the whole thing with a fine toothed comb. :x

1223903394-IMG_3886.JPG

Knowing the French penchant for alcohol stoves and the "eastern" look of the windshield I thought perhaps Algerian/North African in origin? But that's just a wild guess. I think if it were British or European it would be likely to have some sort of mark.

BTW - forgot to mention that for the £5 bid I got TWO stoves :whistle: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1223903408-IMG_3894.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. spudz

Well done that man !

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. Willonthewall

George [-X not to put too fine a point on it, the family can please their b****y selves, I'm gonna clean the other one up and leg it to the antique warehouse at Brampton ;) or maybe even one of the local restaurants and see if there's a profit to be turned ;)
    Of course, if they were to INVEST in some of my items, then maybe they'd get their share. Trouble is all I get is "not MORE rubbish" or "you're not bringing that lot in here"
    Hey Ho - such is life :roll:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. Neil B

I think I saw one just like that in an antiques shop, but he wanted £25 for it, so didn't bother, but it said it was made by Bronson. Thats Bronson not Ronson, like the lighters.
    Hope that helps.

Neil

6. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

I see these quite a lot, including ebay but normally lpg fuelled. Sometimes as 'Primus' stoves - because the burner heads are sometimes made by Primus.

7. Willonthewall

Cheers Neil - I'll take one to sell then if I get a deal, casually offer the pair, for the right price of course :p
    Antique shops usually work on a 100% minimum markup. We were advised by a dealer never to go to an evening or weekend auction as that's where the "punters" go. Try for midweek and try to spot a dealer. If you outbid them by even a small margin they'll not go over their budget as they know what sort of profit they're looking for. That way you know you're paying around the trade price. ;)

8. Neil B

Cheers
    Neil

9. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi Bill

Looks ideal for your candle-lit suppers with the Queen! :D :D

10. Willonthewall

Mock ye not Trevor :lol:

We'll be dressing for dinner next year at Newark, candelabra, dickie bows the works :lol: and of course the ubiquitous Crocs :roll: (with socks :shock: )

11. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

I guess you are correct George.
    I have been seeing a stove that looked almost exactly like this one at an internet auction which finally ended.
    It just had some minor differences.

The stove was stamped Elkington Plate, England.
    Is that something anyone can recognize?

I have seen other stuff marked Elkington, but then it was small jugs in stainless (I think...), so there's another connection to the catering industry George also mentioned.

12. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Saw one that looked much like this just the other week at a hotel near Leeds. Didn't get chance to see if it was gas or alcohol. Used for keeping food warm.

13. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Yes, it's not really a stove, is it?
    Keeping soups and other food warm must be the main purpose.

The 'Elkington' that I saw was a bit larger than this one posted here if the seller got his specifications right; 2855g in total, and a tank diameter of 223 mm.
    Pretty big...

I'm not sure about the rights of possessions when it comes to pictures published at public auction sites like this, but if someone objects I'll take the full responsibility for publishing these pictures. 8-[

This is how it looked! Not exactly that same, but very similar:

1257116124-elkington1.jpg 1257116137-elkington3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015