Alpha

Discussion in 'Other Barthel Brands' started by Helena Christensen, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Helena Christensen

Does anyone know what this is?

IMG_3374.JPG

Tank is about half a litre, marked with "Alpha" and underneath "GB" - Gustav Barthel. I think it runs on ethanol, and the air mix is adjustable with the vertical screw in the middle, which I can raise and lower to get more or less air. Opening for fuel is the horizontal screw which goes through the tank. Pressure gauge on the top works good. The little black thing on the fuel lid is a short hose which I put there to fill air with a compressor. What was it used for ? Have never seen anything like it...

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, I have never seen one like this before. However, there is a Gustav Barthel catalogue in the Reference Library (accessible to CCS Subscribers) which shows laboratory burners:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/barthel-laboratory-burners.10766/

The model you show is not there, but there is the "Neukryolith", approx. one-litre Benzin/ Benzol-powered laboratory burner which has some similarities to your model. This catalogue model has a built-in air pump on it's tank. It also seems to have seven interchangeable burner heads or burner tubes which can be connected to the burner base.

Hope this helps,
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Is there any particular reason why you think it runs on ethanol?

4. Helena Christensen

The size of the nozzle, and i tried it with both eth and petrol, and with petrol it had a soft, smokey and sooty flame. With ethanol the flame was short and blue, but it only worked for a few seconds, it was garbidge in the nozzle. I have cleaned it now but not started it since.

5. Helena Christensen

Sorry, I can*t see that link. I also thought that it was a lab burner of some kind, but what a complicated construction... I wish I was there when they made it, and could have a peek into their brains !

6. Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Helena,

I am in the process of restoring to running condition a similar burner to yours made by G. Barthel.
    [​IMG]

Mine is missing a jet and I am interested to know if yours has the jet size stamped on it?

I love the style of yours!

Also interested to know if you have yours running now?

Best regards,

Brassmonkey

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Brass monkey
    Helena hasn’t been on CCS since January of last year and the chance of alerting her if she did pay a visit would be better with an ‘alert’:- @Helena Christensen

John

8. Brassmonkey

Thank you Presscall I will give sending an alert to Helena a try.

Regards,

Brassmonkey

9. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Somehow, I missed this when originally posted. I had to have a few close looks at it to understand how it works! Rather complicated if you ask me. But a nice thing to have... :D/

10. Brassmonkey

Hi Wim,

Nice to hear from you.

Tried to get it running today. But without correct fitting Jet I have not had much success.

Best regards,

Brassmonkey