Ambassador

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Robert Bruce, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce SotM Winner Subscriber

Ambassador stove , I could not find anything on the net about this stove. There is no markings except the name and Australia. Any one with info ?

Cheers
    Rob

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Robert Bruce
    The brand has got a mention in the Manufacturers' List but with no information associated with it.

Come to think, maybe that's a new entry in the list and it's your stove that got it there when you first posted about this in the Stove Forum on Monday? Otherwise, it must have cropped up from a previous example.

John

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @presscall & @Robert Bruce

"Ambassador" was in the Manufacturers List when I noticed this this one that Robert has for sale on eBay (I checked). So one had been before but that's the only trace before Robert's turned up.

Cheers

Tony

4. Robert Bruce

So who has the other one ?
    Mine seems to have been only fired once or twice. The seals were dri and replaced, the pump bucket needed only oil. There was no smell of kero in it , so it had not been fired for a wile. The overall condition was great, just a wash and still most of the coating on it. The mistory thickens , don't think it is very old by the condition of it but it could have been stored well for a long time and be old , just dint know. The pip was cork and crumbled away so replaced it with a Viton one. It works like a champ.

Cheers
    Rob

5. Matty

The stoves appear to have only been sold in New South Wales between 1950 and 1952. Well, that's all I could find after a quick search.

I hope this helps.

Ambassador1952.png

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Matty

Interesting that the add mentions only a silent burner.

Cheers

Tony

7. Matty

8. Robert Bruce

Thanks Matty, those are real beauties. Looks like it was made somewhere between 1950 and 1952. Great condition for its age.
    Now to see who manufactured it. We can see one seller in Mittagong NSW.

Cheers
    Rob

9. Robert Bruce

Oops Bowral.
    Cheers
    Rob

10. Matty

@Robert Bruce

They were advertised in many country areas of NSW but also in the old Sun newspaper from Sydney and The Sunday Herald from Sydney.

The Sun newspaper takes me back to the days just after I left school - 1973. The paper had morning and afternoon editions along with its rival The Mirror. Back then, I'd buy both papers, the morning editions and the afternoon editions were always at home once I returned from work.

11. Robert Bruce

Interesting only a silent burner was offered Tony, that is what mine is .
    It looks like they were not very popular or it was at the end of preasure stoves for camping. Interesting being made in Australia when lots were being offered from overseas. May be they thought it would be cheeper. The stove is reasonably well made and except the filler cap everything Primus fits. The filler cap incorporates the air screw and is slightly smaller with the usual hole on the centre.

Cheers
    Rob

12. Kero-Scene

NSW produced shale oil up to 1952, likely there was local kerosene production. If this turns out to be only known in this area then perhaps the same people/companies were involved?

Some shale oil production occurred quite close by at Hill End but the exact dates aren't readily checked online-that particular mine may have operated somewhat earlier. (The history of gold mining is what is now emphasised for tourism.)

Just speculation,

13. Robert Bruce

@Kero-Scene , the Hill End connection bears some merit , in the absents of anything else it seems likely. Ummmmmmm

Cheers
    Rob