American Gas Machine Model 2422 1945-1946

Discussion in 'AGM - American Gas machine' started by Doc Mark, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, All,

At Thanksgiving, we were down in San Diego to enjoy some time with our Mom's, and siblings. As it usually does, my birthday was just a day before our special day of Thanks! I'm now 68 years young, and loving it!

A few days later, the girls had somethings the wanted to do, so I took myself to "that same old swap meet", where quite literally many hundreds of my stoves had been found, to see if anything fun came to hand. And, true to form, two stoves raised their little burners, and called out, "Please buy us, as we are tired of not being able to do what it was we were born to do"!! Note that I found each of these stoves in the offerings of different sellers. And, I also found a nice Manfrotto tripod. Each buy had taken a bit of negotiation on the prices, but in the end, I did very well. On to the stoves:

The first one I got turned out to be an American Gas Machine Model 2422, which, I believe dates to 1945-1946. If someone has a better date for this stove, please let me know where to find that information. The outer case definitely needs a bit of help, but the rust is actually not horrible, and its presence only added to my surprise when I saw how nice the insides were. Here's what I got:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I believe that this stove was originally was offered by another seller, who, as you can see, kept marking the price down, very probably without success. When I found this, it was underneath a really ratty old Coleman 425, that was more rust than stove. I ended up getting it for $10, and that it was well worth it.

3.jpg

Here's what's left of the decal. Bummer that it's not complete, but hey, I'm still glad for what there is!

4.jpg

5.jpg

Please note the ridges, or flutes, running alongside the fuel tank, end to end. I rather like the look and feel of them. Must have been part of the manufacturing process.

6.jpg

I think that the rust on the generator, and mixing chamber, will come off fairly easily, with the proper application of a little elbow grease.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Fuel tank cap is made of heavy cast material, and is stuck fast, right now.

9.jpg

After removing the pump rod, I found the pump bucket leather to be in almost new condition. With the
    addition of a bit of gun oil, this pump worked like a champ, and the fuel tank held pressure quite nicely.

10.jpg

Both knobs turned very easily, and both burners passed air easily, and quite robustly!

11.jpg

12.jpg

I will put some fuel in this guy, fairly soon, and see if, indeed, he fires up as easily as I think he will!

All in all, it was a wonderful day, and finding two stoves and a tripod, was a blessing, indeed! The second stove will be posted soon. Thanks for checking out this Old Timer, and I welcome any information you might be able to share with me, if you are familiar with this model. Terry Marsh has a very nice one on his excellent site, so I'm happy to have been able to post this one here at CCS! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. The second stove I found, can be seen here:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/yet-another-homestrand-mariner-with-svea-kero-burners.36849/

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

68? Man, I gotta run harder Doc, you're catching up to me!

3. Doc Mark

Howdy, Ed,

I'm trying to catch you, and you're not that far down the road. I "can see you from here", but can't seem to make up any distance, now matter how hard I run to close the small gap between us!! Best to you and yours, and May God Bless you all this Christmas Season!!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

4. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

That's a beauty of a AGM. Not sure if Fred Kuntz has those decals. H birthday to you
    Jan

5. Doc Mark

Good Morning, Jan!

Thanks, very much, for your B-day wishes. Much appreciated. Also, many thanks for reminding me about Fred's decals. I'll have to check with him, to see if he does have a proper replacement for my old, peeling decal. I had already decided not to strip the case, and just to try and arrest the rust growth, so I could save what decal there is. We'll see how it all turns out. Thanks, again, and hey, Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc