And now for something completely ... the same!

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Dean, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

Having grown tired of the utter reliability of the Optimus 00's, I thought I might like something a little different.
    I do have a couple of Primus 210's and after sitting in a dark corner for several years, one of them (1930's with soldered on bicycle clamp) has gradually come together and is now my go to for mid morning tea brews etc.
    I thought about something more modern, when I saw an ad for a one pint Primus.
    I stopped for a moment and looked at one of those electric engraving kits as an alternative.
    The stove turned out cheaper than the engraver, so I bought it.
    P1260801.JPG

The tin is a bit misshapen and rusty, with some perforations showing daylight at the lowest part of the sides and the inside is rather dusty rusty orange.
    P1260800.JPG
    The steel parts (legs, windshield and spanner - Made In Sweden) are almost crusty rusty. The burner (PRIMUS SWEDEN) is blackened with white deposits and a frilly edged spirit cup at a bit of an angle. The fount is that curvy shaped small discus style. It has all its attachments and through the dirt there are no signs of solder repairs, although there are a few soft dentlets. It rattled when I shook it and I have now removed various dry debris, including a full length match stick.
    P1260802.JPG
    The best part was the flame ring which was well jammed on the burner and had the top of the ring rolled over such that I thought it was a home made replacement! I inverted it over the neck of an old Poundland aluminium drink bottle, the neck of which is a good size for both reforming the vertical side and the widening shoulder is perfect for forming the flare.
    [​IMG]
    Restored, I can now see SWEDEN printed on it, so that is original too.
    I am sure this will come up reasonably well and become an efficient workhorse.
    P1260804.JPG
    But in the meantime, I cannot get over a feeling of deja vu!
    Oh, and before you mention it, I did know what a 1960's Primus 210 would be like. Oh, and the reference to the engraving machine - I could have buffed out the Optimus 00 branding on one of my others and re-engraved it "PRIMUS 210!"

Attached Files:

2. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Always had a soft spot for 210s. This pair were my regular users for quite a while.

210sTwoOfTheBest.jpg

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Dean Well said. I recently restored a badge-engineered Optimus lantern from your stove’s era of the takeover of Primus by Optimus. Evidently they hoped to lure potential buyers loyal to the Primus brand.

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I never have been able to call my much-used Optimus 00 a 'Primus 210' just because that's what it says on the tank.

5. Dean

Thank you for your comments.
    I gave all the steel parts an overnight soak in citric acid, and that has lifted off most of the crust, although the spanner will need some further action. The windshield has then been "painted" with jenolite (phosphoric acid compound). A soak in neatsfoot for the pump cup has revived that nicely. I have replaced the filler cap seal, reserve cap seal and the NRV pip. Loaded a drop of paraffin, primed it and away it went!
    P1260805.JPG P1260806.JPG
    Passed the tea test!
    P1260812.JPG

With a light clean and polish, it looks so much better than yesterday. I was particularly impressed watching the rust scabs dissolve away
    P1260813.JPG P1260814.JPG

Just the tin to attend to now, although I thought that the PTC stoves had just the plain red tin, with or without a branding sticker. As the burner is marked Primus Sweden, it is probably an earlier (1962/63 ish) stove, so perhaps the tin was old stock too.

6. redspeedster

redspeedster United Kingdom Subscriber

What can't you cook with a matched pair of 210s' :lol:

7. Dean

Salad.