Anemic Optimus 8R

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Sparky, Apr 4, 2010.

1. jimk

Jeff...that was brilliant insight on your part...recognizing the difference between the two and knowing the solution.
    Jim

2. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

JimK, hang on to the anvil, they are getting pretty scarce. If the bellows is in good shape, it may be very valuable, too. If you are in the Houston area, visit our website: www.habairon.org. We would welcome your participation.

Ron, I missed your post about the hole down the center of the rod; I was also thinking a small hole drilled through the cylinder side near the bottom might also allow air to be drawn in on the up stroke, covered with the finger gripping the pump, and the rod pushed down forcing the air into the tank. Not nearly as elegant as the real one, though.

3. RonPH

Hey Sparky, I will try replacing first the o-ring to a smaller diameter. Seems the fit is too tight. That may do the trick. Otherwise, the hole would be much better and more practical than dinging the lower pump lip.

Ron

4. Knight84

Thanks Jim! I do like to tinker and fettle. I am still surprised at how well made the clone. But to leave such a detail out is sad and confusing.
    :-k
    These mini/midi pumps benifit from some lube such as graphite lube or even a little 3 in 1 or olive oil.

The hole is a good idea. Someone has thinking when they made that eh.

Jeff

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Guys,

For lubing the mini and midi pumps, I've found that oils, of any kind, will eventually gum up the works. I've used graphite powder, with 100%. success, for almost thirty years, in all weathers. For what it's worth.... Take care and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. Knight84

Well I have thought about it

I know graphite powder works and I have never had a problem with it. But I know it is banned on aircraft due to corrosion it causes to aluminum. :-k

I think the ideal product for these would be silicone grease. :-k

Jeff

7. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

Has anyone else modified their Clone Pump (Clump?) with the dimples? Did it work OK?

8. RonPH

I haven't done it yet. Have to replace the o-ring first and see if that will work. Otherewise, my best bet is a center hole.

Ron

9. jimk

I have a question about the indents, and as a noobie, I should be allowed to ask a stupid one now and then. Do the indents act to increase the circumference of the o-ring...it should have a wavy pattern or a series of bends around the shaft caused by a combination of the air pressure pushing on it to the front lip and the intruding indent then interrupting the progress...thereby making the o-ring longer(circumference) and shrinking the thickness so that air can flow around it? Or, do the indents simply prevent the o-ring from sealing against the lip?
    Jim

10. jimk

Ron and Sparky,
    I was thinking about this falling asleep last night. Couldn't you create an air bypass by drilling a small hole through the forward section that would be exposed in the o-ring channel behind the o-ring on the pull? It would have to be at an angle and positioned so that it would not interfere with the sealing forward push. That would be a very short drill.
    Jim [

11. jimk

I'm using Linux/Ubuntu so this is in pdf.

12. gotnoeyebrows Banned

i think the indents distort the o ring on the up stroke which shrinks the effective circumference allowing air to pass between the o ring and the cylinder wall

drilling a hole to the top of the plunger might work but the air may find it easier to escape past the thumb than through the nrv

i would be reluctant to try that if i had one of these pumps - the indents work so that's the way to go, imo

it depends if the inside diameter of the o ring is a tight fit over the part of the plunger it sits on it is difficult to see from the photos, the air might flow around the inside of the o ring - either way it is a neat way of forming a one way seal

13. RonPH

JimK, thats one other alternative and yes, you need a very short drill. As far as the hole in the center, its been proven to be effective really as its is being used for years by Coleman. The only downside is finding a loooong drill. For now, I still have to bring out my pump, head for Ace (which carries more varieties of o-ring) and find a smaller diameter o-ring.

Ron

14. -/-

My trusty Nikon Coolpix 995 that i had for 9 yrs trawelled south for 5feet and died on arrival :rage:
    It was bought because it was one of the wery few cameras that could focus at 10mm½" at the time.

Sad and depressed i went into a photo store and declared my problem. Salesman said Ricoh R10, mate.
    And i must say that i'm happy, here's an example:
    At 10cm
    RIMG0073.jpg

At 1½cm and no zoom
    RIMG0075.jpg

At 1½cm and max focusing zoom
    RIMG0076.jpg

Heres the proof taken with another camera
    IMG_0024.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  15. jimk

Thank you gotnoeyebrows(that's long). I only wish I could have asked the question with your brevity and clarity.

chickenthief(you need to explain your handle), that's a remarkable camera. I need one also.

So if your pump doesn't work:
    1. Punch in 3 indents.
    2. Drill hole thru center.
    3. Drill hole thru face into o ring channel.
    4. Spot weld 3 raised points instead of the indents.

I don't think a smaller o ring by itself will work.
    Jim

16. -/-

Whell, i needed a handle that was good "all over the world" So i made this mad choice, and i have it most everywhere :-)

In Danish, it's a term for a very low life loafer, that steals and beggs/hustles for a living. Amongst others steal livestock to get fed.

17. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

Well, I will save the hole drilling for Plan B. I must concede that the Optimus engineers have the benefit of many years of insight and experience with these stoves and I will try the indent method first.

18. Knight84

Thank you very much Henrik.

So many to pick from. I am leaning towards a Canon G11.

The indent method works and is simple.

The indents distort the oring and stops the oring from sealing properly.

Cheers,
    Jeff

19. gotnoeyebrows Banned

looking at the photos again, for the indents to work you need the right thickness o ring

it needs to be a snug fit in the barrel but a loose fit on the plunger to let the air through on the inside of the o ring

i'm sure you will get it to work as you want it to

i reckon it would also work if you cut two shallow notches ( 1mm max ) in the lower face of the o ring this would let the air through on the up stroke but not affect the seal on the down stroke, that might be worth trying first before indents in the plunger it would certainly be easier.

20. Knight84

Your right Got no

The o-ring needs to 'float' kinda. My oring has a outside diameter of about 18mm and a inside diameter of about 13mm and is about 2.5mm thick. I will try and hit up the hardware store and look for a replacement one tomorrow.

I think your idea of the shallow notches would work. :-k But the oring might seal those notches as well. :-k The indents work because the distort the oring.

Cheers,
    Jeff