ANNBY L747 SILENT/ROARER WITH PREHEATER

Discussion in 'Dae Lim Gas Co' started by kaw550red, Feb 17, 2009.

1. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

I have had this 1 1/4 pint paraffin stove for several years but until yesterday had never lit it. I did not have the instructions and was concerned about the preheater on the side of the stove.

It must be about the most patented stove in the world. There are seven patents marked on the tank. Underneath those patents there is a USA and a Taiwan patent which may duplicate some of the seven above them. Patent numbers are also shown on the preheater and whilst most of them repeat the numbers on the tank there is also an additional one so that makes at least 8 patents applying to one stove. Many of those patents probably apply to the preheater. These normally use butane to heat the burner. This one uses paraffin out of the tank.

Clean the nipple with the internal cleaning needle and shut the burner valve. Pump pressure into the tank. Open the valve on the preheater and the tank pressure atomizes the fuel which mixes with pressurized air from the tank. Light this fuel/air mixture and you get a blue flame directed straight onto the burner.

1234875072-L747_ass_opt.jpg 1234875124-L_747_preheater_flame_opt.jpg

When the burner is hot you open the burner valve and light the burner. Then turn the preheater off. The stove has fittings to make it silent or a roarer. The fittings simply drop into the top of the burner.

1234875416-L747_Silent_opt.jpg 1234875444-L747_roarer_opt.jpg

The legs lock into their housings with a projection on the outside of the leg. The preheater has a spring loaded valve on top. I think that this doubles as a safety valve and an airscrew. Once the stove is turned off lifting the knob releases all of the tank pressure

1234875623-L747_leg___preheater_opt.jpg

That is not the end of the surprises. I unscrewed the pump lid to inspect the pump washer and was amazed when the whole pump tube came out with the pump rod. I thought that I had broken it! When I looked closer there is a flange at the top of the tube with a seal under it. Screwing the pump lid tight seals the pump tube to the tank. I presume the idea is that you can the pump valve from the outside when the assembly is removed from the tank.

1234875919-L747pump_opt.jpg
    1234875958-L747_pack_opt.jpg 1234876011-L747_case_opt.jpg

This stove will be gone in 6 days so if anyone wants any other detailed photos they better ask now

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Littledre

Bryan said
    If you don't mind me asking where is it off to.

3. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

The stove is currently up for sale on ebay as item 300294407104.

I have never had time to photograph my collection and it is only as they are being sold that I am adding them to this website although I think that there must be about 100+ that I have not put on the site

I have no idea whether I will get all of them on the site but Ross has copies of the listing photos

Regards Bryan

4. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Very nice stove bryan i have seen it on ebay when you use the pre heater do you have too keep pumping while its in use to keep up the pressure like the pr heater on a petromax lantern.Good luck bryan with the auction i am sure it will reach a great price

5. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

I have no plans to sell mine!..of all my "brass classics" this modern one is my favorite.along with a few others it's no fail on the start and very well made.the pre-heater does not have to run for long so i don't need to pump the stove up to keep it going.every stove i have with a pump gets a few more strokes after its going just to "make sure"--i have run this photo before but here it is with a heater attachment.

1234905248-PB180046__Small_.JPG

6. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Brian & Dave

There was a drop in pressure as the preheater heated the burner so I did have to pump it up when I lit the burner. Afterwards I wondered whether you were supposed to pump until the safety valve opened and then start the the preheater. It would help if I had seen the instructions.

Dave I had not realized that the Captain heater fitted stoves other than Captain. With it being held in place by the two pins I played safe and sold it with a Captain stove. Afterwards when looking at the S Korean burners they all look to be a similar size so it probably would fit nearly all of them.

I had not realized that the Annby stoves were put on the site by the maker rather than the brand name so put the stove on to try and create interest in stoves other than the glamour makes like Primus and Optimus. I would not have been in a hurry to put it on if I had known that there were several other examples of the same stove. I initially got it in the wrong place and Ross moved it to where it should have been put

There are many interesting makes of stoves and if collectors were a bit more adventurous it would relieve the demand for makes such as Primus and Optimus and even out the prices.

Regards Bryan

7. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Bryan, The picture on the container of the heater attachment shows this stove. The roarer burner attachment and the windshield "look" very similar to the Captain Bro stove. Possibly either the components are common, or they are different brands of the same maker?

Perhaps some of our Far East members can step in with additional knowledge they may have on the various companies involved in the Korean stove manufacturers?

8. thor

:roll: I really like these stoves they are coming in different sizes both as stoves and heaters. They are made by a small family business in Tokyo and are still in production today.

1234982432-photo_stove.jpg 1234982928-heatstove_001.gif

9. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Everyone

I get the impression that Dae Rim, the makers of the stove, owned the patents shown on the stove.

On the preheater it says
    PAT 19323
    USA 4392819
    Taiwan 16546.
    Annby Korea
    These are in very small letters and the ends of some of the numbers are chopped off by the safety valve

On the tank it says
    PAT. 19323 21828 23651
    23767 234980 34981 35910
    U.S.A 4382819 TAIWAN 16546

There is no indication that these patents are being used under license so I presume that Dae Rim owned the patents so either invented the features or bought the patents off who ever did invent them.

If this is correct the lamps that have these preheaters fitted have been made in countries where the patents did not apply or after the patents expired if the patents were worldwide. It seems unlikely that the patents were worldwide or there would have been no point in taking out patents in USA and Taiwan so it may be that the patents were Korean although the Korean patents that I have seen show the year before the patent and only have 4 digit numbers. The patent for the Shinabro 340 case is 1975 1101

If you cross check the patent numbers the preheater has PAT 20465 which is not shown on the tank so must apply solely to the preheater. The tank has PAT. 23651, 23767, 234980 and 34981 which are not shown on the preheater so must apply solely to the tank. One of those must be for the pump arrangement because I have never seen a stove, lamp or blow lamp with that identical arrangement. Some have removable pumps but the pumps are screwed into the tank rather than held in with the pump lid

It is interesting to know that the stoves are still being made although in Japan rather than S Korea where they originated.

The model seems to have been made in a variety of forms. From a plain tank, a tank with a fuel gauge attached, a tank with a preheater attached, a tank with a preheater and fuel gauge attached and a tank with a self igniting (using a flint) preheater and a fuel gauge attached

Regards Bryan

10. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

As this is a Stove Reference Gallery entry for South Korea it would be useful if those pics were also in the Japan section for future reference. Could please you also post these in the Japan section with details of the maker, model etc? They certainly look like they deserve a reference. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  11. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

MISTAKE

I made a mistake between the L747 and a similar S Korean stove. The L747 appears to come with a tank with a preheater attached, a preheater and fuel gauge attached and a tank with a self igniting (using a flint) preheater and a fuel gauge attached.

The plain tanked version and the tank with the fuel gauge attached were actually a different make and model

Sorry for the misinformation

Regards Bryan