1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another 1975 SURMET N°2

Discussion in 'Military' started by Wim, May 26, 2009.

1. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Brand new, still covered in lots of grease. It is one of 2 I have, the other one is an older Turley & Williams, also looks as if never used, but it came partly dismantled and w/o spares & tools. I tested it last weekend, needs assembling (only 1 screw came with it, all will be replaced with decent metric ones :evil: )

1354986181-PB030039_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

A few more photo's of the Surmet, as you can see it is still unfired. The older brother now lives in Tracer's shed ;)
    It still has the tools, spare jet and burner plate (I don't really see the need for a spare burner plate as I have never seen one "burned out" :roll: ). There is a funnel as well, but that one is used in the shed to fill all sorts of things (you know, stoves & lanterns and such... :lol: ).

1354976995-PB030039_opt.jpg

1354977028-PB030040_opt.jpg

1354977049-PB030041_opt.jpg

1354977067-PB030042_opt.jpg

Best regards,

Wim

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Hi Wim

Nice shots of your stove.

These stoves have a bad name for reliability - though I do not really know why.
    I had one that did not burn well and so I passed it on to another member. He did a fettle on it and then told me that it burns perfectly.
    In other words, the stoves are probably OK, it is the users that are the problem. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They were certainly built for rugged military use and had all the spares and tools you would need.
    When I got mine, I had envisaged using it for weekend (or week) camps, but I found it to be sooooo heavy. I liked the idea of a heavy-duty single burner stove but got rid of it as soon as I got my Nomad.

4. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Nice one, I mean two. One of these days I'll find a No. 2 to go with my No. 3, regardless of the record the No. 2 has. I like the old UK milspec stoves.

Thanks,
    sam

5. Mad Stover United Kingdom

I recently bought a badly beaten up one of these, is there any information available on refurb/maintenance of these No 2 stoves. I have basically to straighten it up get rid of blue and silver paint and then start!
    How do you free NRV valves on these do they unscrew, are they interference fit? I don't want to force anything.
    Any hints help much appreciated.

Cheers