Another Optimus 111

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Henry, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Henry

Got another Optimus 111 yesterday.
    I think it's a common or garden 111. Can anyone tell me from the attached pics
    I tried it with paraffin and it was fine.
    All it needs is a bit of a clean up and a new paint job. The colour which doesn't show up too well in the pics is a cross between pale lilac and battleship grey

optimus111a.jpg

optimus111b.jpg

Henry

2. Colin

Henry,
    I used to have every confidence in your ability to post photos.

Colin.

3. Henry

They were there yesterday

4. Henry

They're back again now, spooky
    Henry

5. Colin

Henry,
    As we discussed on the phone I think this is a paraffin 111. The photo doesn't show the tubes leading up to the burner crown too clearly but I still think it's a paraffin burner.
    It looks like one of the earlier ones - it has a slotted pressure relief type valve as opposed to a pentagonal Alun type. More knowledgable stovies may correct me on this.
    It also looks to have a brass windshield - much nicer than the steel one fitted to my workhorse kept in the car.
    Knowing what you're capable of I'd say this stove will be better than new in the very near future. Trust you will post a photo of it emitting blue ?

Hope this helps,

Colin.

6. Henry

Colin
    I think you must be correct, it burns 'kero' just fine. I took it with me on the London to Brighton Land Rover run at the weekend and it was faultless (so was the Landy by the way).
    What a cracking little stove, so easy to light, compact, they ought to start selling them to the general public, they'd make a fortune ;)
    Don't know about the wind shield being brass, I haven't started fettling yet.
    If it's any help the 111 and the Optimus worldey logo is embossed into the lid also the tank heat shield is made of stainless steel. My other 111T, B, C, H J or what ever, has a plated steel shield.

7. Henry

Colin
    Had a look yesterday, the wind shield is made of steel. Does this confuse matters.
    Also is this any help to Georgi in his quest for dating etc.
    Henry

8. Colin

Henry,
    No.
    Colin.