Another SVEA 123R cry for help!

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Bob_the_Bomb, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Bob_the_Bomb Romania

Hi all

Apologies for starting a new thread but the other ones I’ve found - whilst informative- are a bit old now.

Like many other posters, I had one of the originals back in the 80s which I purchased as a young soldier as an alternative to hexi, and it served me well for many years, until SWMBO persuaded me to ditch the hiking gear before a move as she would only be going car camping in future.

I now find myself able to restart solo hiking and so I’ve started rebuilding my hiking gear. One of my first purchases was a new SVEA 123R.

Yes, it candles, and yes it burns with a lot of yellow in the flame.

I’ve tried resetting the needle several times but as my job revolves around making machines STOP working I’ve had no luck.

Is there anyone out there who could fix this for me? Hence reposting as I didn’t know who might still be active from the previous threads.

Thanks!

Bob

edit - I’m posting this whilst in France but happy to post it back to UK or indeed elsewhere

2. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

You remember that this is a white gas stove, right? And that it needs to be primed? Did you try 4 or 5 clicks on the cleaning needle? To verify that the problem is not the cleaning needle, you can leave it off the stove and run without it. I am not one to claim the old 123 stoves without the needle are better, as I love built in cleaning needles. I lose and break separate prickers and I can’t see the tiny hole anyway. But you can eliminate the cleaning needle as a source of trouble this way.

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

In January this year I posted THIS on a flaw with a late model 123R, comparing it with an older Swedish version I have.

Poorly machined taper threads on the burner riser of the newer product let air in.

12C57B42-2CE6-401B-BE52-5932996E79AF.jpeg

The threads on the older product were accurately machined and made a proper seal.

08A42E6F-C3CF-4CE4-A84B-1E4286444A25.jpeg

That said, the symptoms I faced weren’t as you describe. Yellow in the flame points to a fuel-rich mixture and though it’s unlikely that a relatively new stove has a worn jet, it could’ve been poorly made (as my burner riser threads were) and be oversized from new. Given my experience with poorly-machined threads, another possibility is a fuel leak through faulty jet or jet orifice threads (or both).

The ‘candling’ pilot flame on shut-off is usually down to the wrong ‘timing’ of the jet pricker rack, bottoming out in the rack cavity before the control spindle is fully engaged on its seat. With a stove having variable quality issues though, a poor mating of jet spindle tip and seat is another possibility.

4. Bob_the_Bomb Romania

Thanks!

As I said, I ran my original one for many years with no problems.

I tried with 3, 4 and 5 clicks.

5. itchy

I take it "new" does mean new and not just a recently purchased used stove? The Chinese made Svea 123R stoves can be hit or miss. I have one that seems well behaved.

Sometimes the yellow in the flame can be minimized by raising the burner plate a little.

6. Bob_the_Bomb Romania

Thanks! Yes it’s a new stove with about 5 minutes total run time between attempts to adjust the pricker.

I’ll try the burner plate trick but I’m really looking for someone with more fettling skills to take on the repair job, as I’ve tried it half a dozen times now.

7. Bob_the_Bomb Romania

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Before sending it out to someone....
    Try it without the cleaning needle.
    Run several tanks of fuel.
    And verify that the fuel is clean.

There may be nothing to fix.

9. Fettler United States

If it's new, maybe it's worth getting a refund? Shipping costs often loom with that kind of thing, but if it's defective make them eat it.

There are a gazillion of them out there, little used, often for a fraction of the cost buying new.

The self-cleaning needle models required (or at least resulted in) a change to the spindle thread pitch, consequently the precision of the flame adjustment particularly down low is very poor in comparison to the earlier models. It isn't a huge deal but it is annoying.

10. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I had a new Taiwan version at one time. It was a good stove and worked as well as the Swedish version with which I replaced it. There was no good reason why I replaced it, other than I wanted a Swedish version.

11. snwcmpr

I have heard good and bad about the Taiwan versions.
    I only have Swedish versions.

12. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

I just came back from a day trip, used a Taiwan 123R (Pak Cook?), I've used this stove a dozen times, last couple times seems like it takes forever to get up to full power, but it gets there eventually and then really cranks.

13. snwcmpr

Pak Cook is a clone, right?

14. Pancholoco1911 United States

15. Bob_the_Bomb Romania

Thanks!

Yes I bought it from Amazon and gave it a 1-Star review saying “Don’t buy this, it leaks!”

Amazon contacted me the same day and gave me a full refund.

So I’m not out of pocket :)

But I’m also without a stove and I’m looking to including one as I repack all my hiking gear. I don’t want to have to resort to a propane stove (or an alcohol one)…

16. Bob_the_Bomb Romania

Thanks!

I tried it without the needle. It still candles. Running it for longer doesn’t diminish the yellow flame either.

On my old one, within the same time the flame would almost be invisible and the tulip would be glowing…(sigh)…

I would really like to send it to someone now as I’ve tried everything within my personal ability…

17. snwcmpr

I think you should find a Made In Sweden version of 123 or 123R.
    Cost less and better chance of a great running stove.

18. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Bob_the_Bomb

You could try re-seating the shut-off spindle using toolmakers’ cutting paste. I’ve done this a few times over the years.

1. Take out the spindle and clean the inside of the burner, especially the spot where the spindle tip seats.

2. Put a small dab of cutting paste on the tip of the spindle (avoid getting it on any of the threads.

3. Screw the spindle back and forth against the spindle seat (open a bit/close). Do this a hundred times or so.

4. Flush it all out and see if it’s fixed.

In the absence of cutting paste you could try dry sodium bicarbonate but you’ll need more rotations and flushing.

Tony

19. Lance

Bob where abouts is your here abouts. I know you are not in the US but I really have no idea where Montrose is. I've heard the name several times but not located it on the map. PM me with your addy.

20. Bob_the_Bomb Romania

Thanks Lance!

Montrose is in Scotland. It’s normally referred to in sports news as “Montrose Nil…”

I however, and my Svea are currently stuck in France…

B