Another Svea No. 16

Discussion in 'Svea No:16' started by Ben Hall, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Ben Hall

Ben Hall United States Subscriber

Bought this off the e-place for probably too much. :lol: But, it looked like it needed a hole, had the external NRV, so I couldn't resist.

The original flame ring / flame spreader was completely worn out - very thin, very brittle, and missing in places. The spirit cup was also cracked, and later broke off completely. One of the pot supports was quite bent, I straightened it (carefully!) the best I could, but it still appears slightly twisted in the photos.

With the amount of wear around the pump plunger cap hole (where the pump rod goes thru), I suspect this stove has seen a lot of use.

In the photos, it's got a Butterfly brand steel flame spreader and Butterfly brand spirit cup.

After rinsing out the tank, cleaning the jet, some Ballistol on the pump leather, and a new fuel tank cap gasket it works quite nicely. Once it gets up to temperature, the flame is blue inside the flame spreader and completely clear once past the burner. On locally sourced, possibly sub-par kerosene, there is no smell once it's up to temperature. In the Northern Alabama USA summer warmth (83 deg F, 28 deg C), one fill of the spirit cup is much more than it needs to preheat.

Glad this stove came to live with me. :)

Thanks much,
    ben, KD5BYB

svea16_1.jpg svea16_2.jpg svea16_3.jpg svea16_4.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks for posting this, Ben.

Cheers

Tony

3. Ben Hall

That should have been: "But, it looked like it needed a home,"

thanks,
    ben

4. Ben Hall

You're welcome!

Thanks much,
    ben

5. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

@Ben Hall Not just 'another Svea 16', but another example of the very last iteration of the Svea 16, i.e. one of those with the recessed filler cap housing. That version of the Svea 16, together with its Svea 15 silent counterpart, made up most probably the very last external NRV stoves ever produced. Late 1930s, possibly even just into 1940s. Some of the story can be found here. So one of quite some historic significance:thumbup:

6. Ben Hall

@igh371 Thanks much for the reply and for the link! That's awesome to have an estimate of the date. If this stove could talk, I wonder what stories it would tell? :)

Thanks much,
    ben

7. Ben Hall

Good morning all,

Couldn't sleep so decided to get up and ready the Svea 16 for a Stove of the Month entry photoshoot. ;) I then remembered I'd saved the pictures from the e-place auction, and they are really nicely done, so I cropped them up and figured I'd post them in this post.

Note the flame-spreader - it's been totally worn out over time. I'm not sure how many hours on high heat is needed to do that, but I figure it's a lot!

svea16-2.jpg svea16-3.jpg svea16-1.jpg svea16-4.jpg svea16-5.jpg svea16-6.jpg svea16-7.jpg