Another SW late call. Porlock

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Simes, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Simes

Simes Subscriber

The hunt for the man from Porlock continues this weekend. Weather forecast looks reasonable and we are planning on mid afternoon Sat to Monday.

Practical advice on bell tent pitching welcome.

Simes

2. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

hi Simes
    same site as last year ? i'll do my very best to get there again

atb Bill

3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Simes, some time ago, someone explained me how to erect a Bell tent by one person. I must admit I forgot most of it (Alzheimer I suppose... :oops: ) but if memory is not fully defective it went like this; use the lenght of the central pole as the radius to make a circle, onto which you then "plant" the tent pegs. Put the tent in the circle and attach the ropes to the pegs, then insert the central tent pole and push up the tent. Adjust ropes. Hope this makes sence and is correct! Please let us know if this worked OK for you and enjoy your camping weekend!

All the best,

Wim

4. toonsgt

Bell Tent instructions

Very similar the the US Army Hex tent. For one man setup: Mark your center point, locate and drive your stakes(not all the way in yet, they may need to move slightly. Unroll the tent and connect 2 ropes loosely on stakes at 10 and 2 oclock postitions. Insert the pole into the peak grommet and pull the whole thing bewtween the 2 connected ropes until the base of the pole is on the center point. Stand at the base of the pole and grab the 6 oclock rope. Keep your foot on the base of the pole and pull the 6 rope. The tent will start to rise. Once the pole grabs into the earth, continue backing up until the tent is taught at all three ropes. Hook the 6 rope to the stake. Ensure the pole is fairly vertical and adjust the ropes until it is. NOT the pole. Connect the remaining ropes and give them a final adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Had to teach myself this technique as a young Private who was driving for an Officer who wouldn't do ANY physical labor. Came to a head one stormy night in Germany when I reminded him that I was a Soldier, not his personal servant. At least I didn't have to drive for him after that.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

If you got the same one(s) as I have, it's easy.

Peg out the groundsheet - one side is longer, which is for the door. You need to get that in the desired position - unless you want to find out later the door's facing the wrong way and have to start all over again! No need to push the pegs fully home at this stage.

Place the tent in a pile on the the groundsheet and turn it so the door lines up with the longest side of the groundsheet. Go around the base of the tent and use the same pegs holding the groundsheet to hold the corners of the tent. Hammer them fully home.

Open the door of the tent.

Erect the pole.

Walk into the tent bringing the pole with you. Locate the centre of the canvas and place the top end of the pole there. Lift the pole into the vertical position which raises the tent. Place the base of the pole at the centre of the groundsheet.

Go round the tent pegging out the guys.

Erect the door-frame and place it inside the doorway. It won't fit exactly so just get it as best you can.

Light the stove and make a cup of tea...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Hiya Bill

Yes same site Sparkhayes

Doing the Sat/Sun nights this time and planning on arriving in daylight. Last years epic can be found Here. Trying to erect a brand new tent under car headlamps isn’t conducive to good relations with SWMBO :doh: , the neighbours in the van next door was convinced one of would be guilty of homicide or at a minimum not speaking in the morning. :lol:

Mike/Wim/David

Many thanks for the advice, although I will admit my original request was a bit disingenuous :oops: :oops: as we have already pitched it once at the back of the Masons Arms near Yeovil a couple of weeks ago, but I couldn’t find an emoticon for ‘it would be great if we could stand in a field with a can of beer and discuss the best way of doing this for a couple of hours’. Although if any of you are in the area Sat afternoon we could still do it.

A couple of shots below, one of the tent and a view of the field itself, and one of the Tilley.

1284630747-Masons_Arms_1_opt.jpg 1284630763-Masons_Arms_2_opt.jpg 1284630775-Tilley_opt.jpg

7. David Shouksmith

Looks the same as mine, Simes.

A couple of years back, I got a Coleman awning to do exactly what you did. I never did get around to putting a brass eyelet in the middle of the tent end of it to fit over the door-frame.

That lantern's a queer 'un - a hybrid of a Tilley X246A tank and Tilley BR49 upper parts. You really need an X246 Guardsman tank (failing a proper BR49 one) and then you could straighten those bandy legs and it would look 'proper' again! ;) :lol:

8. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Yes a Belltent UK 4M with the goundsheet and inner. (SWMBO is definately anti bug)

Like most tents it has it's idiosyncracies, in this case I was after experience with tucking the skirt under the groundsheet if you leave the g/s pegged down. ??

There's also a loop in the inner that I think the pole should go through before it gets erected, wasn't in the instructions, in fact no hints with the inner at all. Half the fun I suppose hence the run out again this weekend to iron out a few bits.

The Tilley is interesting and as it works perfectly ok and will probably stay as a talking point. Picked up in Bath market and have been mulling over it's provenance, only because someone has gone to quite a bit of effort to make everything fit. I have a plausible explanation after discussing it with Neil a while ago.

I have the 'cowl/cage' to go over the pre heater assembly, not sure whether to re fit when using meths. Even the pressure pip works as you can see it raised in the pic.

9. David Shouksmith

I'd refit it, Simes - you'll probably only lose it if it's kept separately. I've found the paraffin preheater works OK as long as you raise the cowl to let air in until the wick gets well alight. Having said that, my BR series lanterns - 49, 49A and 49B - aren't really users, although they could be if I didn't find most other lanterns more convenient!

I think you may have over-pumped the tank on your lantern - the inner is meant to be just level with the outer at working pressure. Having said that, they're notoriously inaccurate and you're probably better pumping up the lantern by 'feel'...

Regarding the groundsheet, I remove the pegs from it and replace them in the bottom of the tent wall as I go around. The groundsheet then just sits on top of the 'sod-cloth' - or whatever the plastic flap is called these days. There's enough overlap for it not to be a problem. Whatever's on the groundsheet holds it down.

I've no experience with the inner tent - it was introduced the year after my bell was made. It sounds like you've the earlier set of instructions. IIRC, the peak clips onto a wire 'loop' attached near the top of the pole. It attaches to the back of the bell with bars attached to lengths of elastic which pass through plastic loops sewn onto the canvas - pretty standard stuff, as seen on the Cabanon Pyramide, for example...