Another Trangia copy

Discussion in 'China' started by Simes, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Simes

Simes Subscriber

I've posted this under China on the assumption that was probably where it was manufactured, it was actually purchased from either Aldi or Lidl in the UK. I have been unable to find any country of origin information either on the box nor the instructions.

i had considered Germany due to the retailer, but the only printed info is that it was made for 'Paget Trading' based in London. A brief search suggests they are a holding company of sorts.

The box.

IMG_20190327_092011.jpg

Packed stove.

IMG_20190327_092128.jpg

All the bits.

IMG_20190327_092221.jpg

A boil test is in order.

IMG_20190327_100626.jpg

And after running for a few minutes. There were flamelets from the holes, but as I don't have a Trangia burner to compare with I really can't make any critical comment.

IMG_20190327_101442.jpg

15 minutes to a decent boil of 1 pint of tap water.

IMG_20190327_102233.jpg

It may be worthwhile modifying for some form of cheap remote gassie, but that really won't be happening anytime soon.

In the event I do make a mess of it I have another I bought at the same time. Considering the rarity here I may hang on to the unused one for a few years and watch auction sites for prices.

2. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Hi
    I thing you can use carburetor cleaner to unplug little holes. Somewhere on side, you can find a truc to do it.

3. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Hi @JP2. The burner has only been used maybe 2 or 3 times so is unlikely to need cleaning just yet. I am aware that these copies are not as good as an original and wasn't expecting it to work well.

I think there has previously been some discussion on opening up the holes slightly which may improve things, but haven't done a search just yet.

4. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

What is the yellow flame? The inside of the burner look poly dark to me. The rest look well made,

5. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Just the pool of bio ethanol burning.

Which is why I may try to improve how it operates at some point. Or buy a Trangia one.