Any Fuel alternatives for a Svea 106?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Stovost, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Stovost

Stovost Subscriber

I'm wondering, must kerosene and kerosene only be used in my 106? Will Coleman fuel work? Other alternatives?

2. dwarfnebula

dwarfnebula United States Subscriber

No coleman fuel in that thing, it's much too volatile and explosive, you'd likely end up with a fireball when you crack the air bleed. Suppose you could try diesel or jet fuel, pretty sure I wouldn't though, they're full of additives which will gunk it up and potentially contaminate your food. I'd stick to clear Kero.

3. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

I've used BBQ lighter fluid in my Monitor C11 MoD stove, works alright, my only wonder is if it will coke up the burner tubes.

Murph

4. hobowonkanobe

Nordic thug turned me on to using low odor paint thinner, it actually burns cleaner than kero and is usually cheaper. Granted, by a buck or so, but...
    I have used mineral spirits as well. Some claim diesel is ok, but stinky beyond belief, and for a while I was known to use lamp oil. I don't endorse the latter though, as it will clog and otherwise mess up yer burner.
    My 1957 210 was a casualty of this practice; I had to do white vinigar treatments so often as a result that the copper tubing of the burner just crapped out.Then the tank threads for the burner got streched out too far to use as well,... it's my "spare" brass stock now.

5. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

I had a co-worker, one of whose previous jobs was in a refinery. You'd be amazed at what is extracted from crude oil. Anyway paint thinner is just deodorized kerosene. Low odor paint thinner is taken a step or two further. but they're all kerosene. Diesel will work, but has a very disagreeable odor and has lubricants in it for diesel engines, mostly sulphur based. Coleman fuel, Camp Fuel, Blaze-O, Wal-Mart camping fuel are all Naptha with few to no additives or contaminants. Far, Far too volatile to use in any appliance not marked to use it. Especially not in Kero burning pressure stoves. White gas appliances will have no provision for venting the tank while burning.

In some parts of the US, especially along sea coasts, one can still get White Gasoline in bulk from commercial fuel outlets. Chevron is my go-to source. All one need do is ask.

I've bought it in 5 (US) Gallon tins. I've seen it in 35 and 55 gal. barrels as well. Having a 55 gal drum on a stand in one's yard would totally be worth the hassle and fines just to see how close to a stroke the local Nannies could come. Watching some jobsworth turn crimson, then white and crumple to the ground would sooooooo be worth it!

Vicious ol'

Gerry

6. Stovost

Stovost Subscriber

Thanks, I'm gonna try the paint thinner.

7. Stovost

Stovost Subscriber

Thanks! It's unanimous about not using Coleman Fuel, for sure! Didn't know that about Paint Thinner being refined Kerosene. The things you learn, when you just ask the right questions. Still waiting for a reply from Base Camp on the parts I need, before firing up my Stove for the first time. I'm leaning towards using the Low Odor Paint Thinner as a fuel over Kerosene, for the benefits of the lack of stink. Haven't burnt either in it yet, but I do know that burned Kerosene is a pretty bad smell. Hell, Kerosene unburned stinks for that matter!

8. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Have a good look at the tin before you buy the thinner as some of it is spirit (meths/denatured alcohol) based, such as this one - Link

Regards,
    Terry

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  9. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Not "paint thinner" per se, but odorless mineral spirits-
    Recommended for "center draft" lamps- Read carefully!
    From Milesstair
    I used it in an unvented kerosene heater (kerosun type) and although it worked and was fairly oderless, it did, for some reason, clog the wick faster.
    I would think testing oderless mineral spirit in the stove outdoors would be the first step. It might work fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  10. magikbus

Before you use paint thinner, you should be aware of two things.

1.) the flash point of the thinner, as a low flash point will be dangerous if there is no nrv in your appliance. (see below) Kero is somewhere around 150 deg flash point, thinner and more volatile fuels rate around 110 or lower.

2.) Does your appliance have an nrv in it? If so, low flashpoint fuel, ie; white gas or Coleman fuel should be all right.

Some stoves require you to open a fuel tank knob to relieve pressure to shut down the stove, if you try this on a stove with low flash point fuel in it you are asking for a firebomb.
    Stan

11. Stovost

Stovost Subscriber

Not sure of the NRV. What is an NRV, by the way?The stove in question is a Svea 106. I'm assuming it's OEM, therefore, unless an NRV was part of the stove originally, it won't have one.
    If I'm understanding it correctly, actual Paint Thinner is not the fuel to use, but Mineral Spirits is? Please clarify this for me? Thanks.

12. BernieDawg Banned

Doing a search at CCS (a Google search works well - see the top menu bar for "Search") will turn up *tons* of information on NRV's. Try it and see!

Here's just one that came up in seconds from the quickie search that I did:
    https://classiccampstoves.com/posts/64230

NRV= Non-Return Valve.

There is one at the bottom of the pump tube of almost every kerosene fueled stove you will see in the CCS Stove Gallery. You have been there, of course, to see other stoves like your Swedish-made Svea 106?

And, of course, searching on "Stove Operation" brought up this link first thing:
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/90/

And, it only took seconds to find - far less time than it took to respond to your questions with this post, actually.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015