Any information would be appreciated

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Allan Overton, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Allan Overton United Kingdom

Picked this up at a car boot, just curious as to what sort of camping /picnic stove this might be, all information would be gladly appreciated
    Allan 1624179507969631576849245366524.jpg

2. Scrambler

I'm a relative noob so I can't identify it. That said, it looks like the base of a kerosene lantern- single wick design. Without proper venting it would be fairly inefficient as a stove.

To me the fascinating thing is the handle. This seems to imply it would be carried while alight. Makes sense with a lantern but why with a stove?

Perhaps for keeping a kettle warm after it has boiled? Something from/for the Lord or Lady?

I would be interested to see it with the central cover (I presume snuffer) off.

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Oh my, what a difference.

5. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Welcome @Allan Overton

Thank you John :thumbup:
    @presscall , also French is: Le Grillon
    in that link note it is described as "tinned", would that have you thinking the tank is brass plated tin?
    -------------------------

Allan,
    IF Le Grillon is metal or tin tank, it's cheaper construction may more closely match yours?

re "... curious as to what sort of camping /picnic stove this might be..."

It is just a hunch, but that is, that it is a version of low cost British picnic stove.
    "cheap meths picnic stoves" and
    " ... there may be at least 2 British origins to consider" source

Your stove: I'm curious but I have no guess re approx. age. There are TONS of that sort:
    wick, wick adjust & snuffer, the size / shape (far fewer w/handle).
    Sorry but as for potential value, just me I'd guess near zero yet I can't recall seeing another like it (metal construction with a few brass pcs).
    Anyone else?

Moving a lit alcohol stove can rightly be considered a bad idea SO stoves with handles are atypical.
    The Glogau (of chicago) was low cost (PLENTY survive), is well known but aside from side handle not "similar" to yours.

John's example was not a low cost version nor was the Radius 40
    thx

PS A strange niche for collectibles occurs now and then:
    "cheap" disposable / less durable items (certainly incl. paper, trinkets etc.) become very rare and after 75-100 years can be nearly forgotten (some increase in value, the vast majority do not).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  6. threedots New Zealand

@Allan Overton . Veritas alcohol stove I believe. Check underneath for the 'Clover' leaf symbol.
    John

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021