Anyone know who made this?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Doug L, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

Found at a garage sale today.
    Is it complete? What fuel can does it use?
    upload_2020-8-1_12-0-38.jpeg

2. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

MSR Dragonfly

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Firefly

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

OOOPS, that was what was in my head... And I wrote the 'other' word. Danged 'old timers'. LOL!!!

6. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

Thx guys

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Doug L , Doug,

The MSR Firefly is a great stove! It's also a very LOUD stove! But, not only does it have power, which it has in spades, but it also simmers fairly well. It came with a special windscreen, which looks like a sort of truncated pot, with slots cut out to fit onto the legs of the stove.

Please note that the stove below is being used with a Perfektus silent burner. Works perfectly! I also have a BD silent cap that works nicely, too. But, in truth, when the wind is howling, and we're up at high altitude, we prefer to use the Firefly as it comes, because there is something very comforting about the answering roar of the FF, in response to the wind!!

FF w:new fuel line.JPG

We've used this particular Firefly for many years, and it's always work a treat! It began to leak from the ends of the rubber fuel hose, and sent it to Mike Ridout, who was the head Stove Tech at MSR back in those days. He rebuilt it, using a nice, long brass-braided fuel line, and that was a great improvement! I wish that MSR still did that sort of thing, but alas, they do not.

I've found that regular cooking pots, dent up the windscreen when packed. So, we went with truncated pots like the ones found in the Optimus Loke 85, and their #77 Meths stove. These work nicely with the stove, and pack up much more easily, than regular pots.

DSCN6639.jpg

If the stove you saw did not come with it's windscreen, do some searching here at CCS, because I recall that one of our enterprising members crafted a replacement windscreen, himself, and it seemed to work well, and pack nicely. If you have not bought this FF, I recommend the stove, highly, and especially if you can get it for a good price!! I now have four of them, and am very glad that I do!! Good luck, and if you have further questions, please give me a shout, and I'll try to answer them. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - This stove burns Coleman Fuel, and nothing else. FYI.