ARARA 37, WW2 German soldier stove.

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Harder D. Soerensen, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen United States Subscriber

I got this one for a fair price because the German seller couldn't make it run, and had gotten tired of it.
    When it arrived, the tank was half filled with stinking kerosene(!), and a closer inspection revealed a scorched wick and a Safety Return Valve which was assembled upside down.

After a thorough fettle with a new wick, a new pip, new filler cap seal etc. it was time to start it.
    It worked - but with way to large and yellow flames, so a new jet was needed. Not being able to find any, my good friend @gideon volunteered to make me a couple as you can see here:
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/helping-mr-soerensen.37989/

After that it ran much better, but only after adjusting the height of the burner plate a bit, did it run great.
    I have used now it a couple of times while hiking, and it performs flawless every time.
    Thanks Gideon for (also) helping me out here!

I miss the top lid and the key for it (4mm x 4mm axle), so if anyone should have spares - I would be happy to buy them in order to make it complete.

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

IMG_3941.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3945.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

IMG_3949.JPG

You can see @kerophile thread on CTR-markings here
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/german-ctr-markings-on-stoves.35238/

2. gideon

Now i must to do a key for your stove. Why you didn't inform me about it before?

3. Harder D. Soerensen

Yes - why didn’t I :-k
    I will have to look for an original to copy. Not easy to find.

4. Mark Layman

Mark Layman Subscriber

5. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

That's a real nice one, Harder. And yours works!
    I have an Arara 37 that I got off evil bay about 2 years ago. Mine is possibly a wartime unit, as the tank is steel. Yours looks like brass. Also the lettering on mine is not embossed but engraved with lined letters like some Swedish stoves. The windshield of my Arara screws on and is deep-threaded with at least 3 coarse grooves on the top and 2 on the bottom. No markings on either endcaps. Painted overall with German army Olivgruen.
    I need a key myself, if Gideon is inclined to make a batch. I will compensate him handsomely.
    The stuffing box nut is still on tight, and the regulating spindle will not turn. Without a key I will not force it. Ross pointed out that the Svea/Optimus #2078 fuel cap gasket is the same, so that's one less worry. Mine shows a steady stream of bubbles when dunked in a sink of hot water straight from the freezer.
    I intend to practice first on fettling an Optimus 99, before tackling the more daunting Arrara 37. They are one of the least talked-about stoves on this, the best of all possible stove websites.
    I thought I had the only one.

6. Harder D. Soerensen

@gideon is very good on his Lathe, you should send him a PM.
    My "stuffing nut" was tight as well, but I let it soak in WD-40 for a day or two - Then heated it a bit with a small pen-torch and off it came easily.
    The tank is steel, but the soldering has some kind of brass-look to it. Tank is completely clean and good looking inside (borrowed an endoscope to check it).
    I had a standard fuel cap gasket in my spares-box, so it does fit one of the standards. The SRV was fairly straigt forward to fix - same with wick.
    With a bit of luck - it'll use the same graphite seal as an Optimus 111.
    It is quite sensitive to jet size and burner plate height. Let me know if you need a hand here.

Mine is similiar to these:
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/arara-37-luftwaffe.21623/

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/arara-no-37.6281/

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  7. SveaSizzler

I have both types of graphite seals -- [2094] for 8R, 99, 111, 123R -- and [2091] for 123. Maybe one will work.
    Great links, I missed those.
    I will have to do a Gallery shoot for mine, as it's different. I've been holding back without the money shot being possible.

8. Albatross

Albatross Subscriber

A9299AD5-640D-46CD-BDE6-F26D057D3520.jpeg 159A90BF-324F-4618-A3A8-138CE526BE34.jpeg 9DA6753C-C1C6-4525-B63A-3DFF05882563.jpeg A7E8A05C-8619-464B-99DB-D999C014FE59.jpeg Hi Harder ,
    We have similar tastes, I brought this little Arara37 ,it must be a mix and match model as the end caps are plain, and the key has been made up

9. SveaSizzler

I got a few Arara 37 pix:

DSC00160.JPG DSC00162.JPG DSC00168.JPG DSC00175.JPG DSC00192.JPG

My unit has a screw-on base and top. No straps or springs. The bottom tin has some petrified black rubber cushion, 1940s type with the impression of a skate key in it. I guess this was so the key would not rattle in the original owner's rucksack. Unfortunately he lost it, along with his war.
    One shot has a sidefill from a UV flashlight. Not sure what more that can tell us, but it was fun at the time.
    A side-by-side with the BW M1931 mess tin. Color matches.
    Stove status: INOP. Spindle stuck. No key. Needs gas cap gasket [which looks a lot like the Svea 123 type will work.] Case screw threads are rusty. Have Vasoline threads on now to work it in.
    Interesting project that was over my head when I ''won'' it 2 years ago. Slowly working my chops up.

10. Harder D. Soerensen

@Albatross
    Nice one - have you tried it?
    I use mine regurarely. Great little powerfull stove.
    End caps looks similar to the later Juwel 34 caps? The ones for Arara 37 are screw on-models.

@SveaSizzler
    You could try letting the spindle soak for a couple of days in an anti-rust solution and then heat it with a pen-torch?

What about your SRV?

Please let me know, if you might need a hand in bringing them back to life again?

11. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Harder, An impressive stove and post, thanks!

and for more examples shared here thanks to SveaSizzler and

Albatross,
    Thank you, THAT is a very interesting 37, not sure I've seen one like that?
    Will like to see more of it if/when you can.
    ---------------
    Re key.
    I may never own a Arara 37, those that have one may want to know if Juwel 33/34 key works?
    Which can be found easy enough.

As to examples of the "original" key have a look here and here.
    thx omc

12. Harder D. Soerensen

@OMC
    Thanks

Regarding keys, my Arara 37 regulator is a 4x4mm axle
    945E03DE-A751-4F5A-8B26-482B6BA4B82A.jpeg

whereas the Juwel 34 is a 3x3 mm.
    3B4AC719-A80B-445E-A9EF-E01B4645B822.jpeg

@gideon was kind enough to make me a handle in 4x4mm.
    Its very well made and work for several stoves - incl. the 111-family.
    B0DBD7DE-DD51-4056-8228-432BAD492F42.jpeg A34840E3-1427-48D2-81B3-920BA582CE19.jpeg 9192DC47-0EA9-4DBC-B72F-287782C3CA0B.jpeg

13. gideon

Hope you are enjoy it now!

14. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

@Harder D. Soerensen Unless there is some parallax in the location of the camera and vernier scale my reading for the Jewel 34 is more like 1/8 inch or approx. 3.2 mm. But that does seem strange for a German stove.

Regards
    John

15. SveaSizzler

@Harder That's a generous offer. I will take you up on it when I get to fettling my Arara. I think I will fettle my Sveas and my ''new'' Opti 99 first to build up my skills. I have amassed all the parts for them. Just waiting on a new blue pencil torch. My old one was shot, so I ordered a new one from Amazon. The bozos I ordered it from, for no apparent reason sent it to Foxboro MA, about 2260 miles in the wrong direction from Tucson AZ. They can't send me another until next Monday.

My Arara 37 SRV looks just like yours, so a simple slot screwdriver should work. The regulator stem and packing nut are both 12 mm [unlike the Svea's which are different]. I will need a key from Gideon. He wants me to send him a mechanical drawing of my desired key configuration.

16. Harder D. Soerensen

@Jeopardy
    It is 4x4mm and 3x3mm.
    Taking pictures while holding both stove and ruler resulted in a slightly off-looking ruler.

@SveaSizzler
    Anytime!
    Regarding key from @gideon
    He is a good guy and a skilled Lathe-operator, so be careful what you wish for ;)
    A drawing seems fair since @gideon has to adjust the Lathe to your specifications with a high accuracy.
    You could start by defining:

- Choice of metal for the key

- Length of key

- Size of opening (i.e. 4x4 mm)

- Handle-end design?

Cheers

17. gideon

@SveaSizzler you can send me a pm here to discuss what do you need. You're welcome. Regards.

18. SveaSizzler

19. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

@Harder D. Soerensen thanks for clarifying the 3 mm dimensions. I wasn't sure if there was an alignment issue with the camera and the vernier scale. 3 mm does make much more sense for a German product.
    regards
    John

20. Albatross

Albatross Subscriber

Hi Harder,
    Thanks for every bit of info. I have run the little stove, as I do with some of my other stoves, I would like to think the Arara37 was used in the field,
    Kind regards
    Tony