Arara No. 35

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by phaedrus42, Mar 23, 2019.

1. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

I found this little one this morning at a collectibles market for about a fiver.
    I see a number of 37's in the gallery but no 35's.
    Anyone have more info on this model? And yes, I will need a flame ring for it ;)

arara35-side.jpg
    arara35-top.jpg arara35-bottom.jpg arara35-burner.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @phaedrus42 . This un-numbered 1 pint Arara looks somewhat similar:

Arara 1 pinter

The Primus burner mounted on your stove is a later addition, dating from the 1950s. Your stove is likely older IMO.

Primus burner marking question

Primus No:210 - 1955 - The Campers Primus Outfit

1955 "The Campers" Primus Outfit (210)

The air release knob has been modified to allow more pressure to be exerted on the screw.

There would have been a reserve cap (to seal the tank when the burner was removed) mounted on the pump knob of your Arara originally.

The circular rib, pressed into the bottom of the tank, is a stiffening feature and suggests that thinner gauge brass was used in the manufacture of these Arara stoves.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Thanks, @kerophile , the fount does feel much lighter than a 96 or similar fount. I will undo the ugly pressure release screw mod. Currently soaking everything in warm caustic soda and then a wipe-down and brief citric acid bath. It should soon be respectably clean and in good working order.

Am I correct in thinking that the Primus burner is equivalent to the original in size and performance?

4. kerophile

Hi, yes the burner is suitable for a 1 pint roarer, which is what I think you have.
    As regards performance you have a Rolls Royce “engine” is an “Ford” stove.

You should be able to get a reserve cap from ebay (Juliands)

Good Luck with your stove.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. OMC

OMC Subscriber

There are over 20 Arara examples in Germany "other" category.
    Note 1. Ross @Spiritburner , Can we please have Arara category added under Germany in gallery? Thank you
    -----------------

Agreeing w/kerophile, we're thinking 1 pinter [now I see he just posted : ) ].
    Also that Arara is earlier: I wish I could credit CCS source but Arara has been mentioned as pre-war (WW2). May also be post WW1. Seems well established in 1930s Dresden at any rate.

Phil,
    You asked kerophile re your 210 sz burner, I will add that Arara made their own burners, Ray fortunate his example has rare original burner and yes appears to be of 00/210 size.

Re OP "Anyone have more info on this model?"
    Arara is a **unfolding story that has yet to be told. There are many puzzle pieces already and more will be added, like yours!!!
    Thank you for posting it.
    I'm not saying yours is c1935 but your "No.35" connects to:
    Arara 1935 catalog
    Ray's Arara 1 pinter in tin, link above [FYI @Ray123 ] his with "GK".
    Ross's Arara 1 pinter similar to Ray's.
    Yours is "No.35", the 2 above are a close match but have no model# on tanks.

Ok, opinions vary but I found Motoshi's comment convincing re
    Arara connection to his 1 pinter (Melcher): "...stove that Arara supplied to Melcher for Asia... " market. Melcher name, logo and chinese text stamped into tank during German manufacture... is the suggestion. I for 1 buy into it, to-date.
    ** it's an ongoing slog there are already many pieces to work with but many missing pieces as well. We're learning more as time passes, more examples post and details emerge.
    thx omc

6. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Fascinating history! I'm glad I could make a small contribution to the pool of knowledge about this manufacturer. Even incomplete and not all original, I will post it in the reference gallery when it is presentable and working.

7. kerophile

Hi @phaedrus42 Earlier you said:

“Currently soaking everything in warm caustic soda”

You should be aware that stove brass will corrode in sodium hydroxide solutions. Warmer, and more concentrated caustic solutions will be more corroding.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

8. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

That is technically correct, but at the very low concentration >0.5% that I have used there has been no discernable effect on the brass and it is very effective in removing organics such as fuel residue. Point taken, though!

There is an interesting table on the corrosive effects of various chemicals on metals here:

Corrosion Resistance Common Metals