Are Burmos and Primus parts interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by gnome, Jan 18, 2022.

1. gnome

gnome New Zealand Subscriber

A Burmos 21 touring stove followed me home.
    It was reasonably priced but the ad was slightly incorrect. It called the stove a Primus Burmos.
    While returning home with the stove I picked up some Kero for it. However it is obvious the stove has sat for a long time and the both cap seals are dry and/or cracked.
    There is a local camping shop that stocks seals for older Primus and Optimus stoves. Given that the stove looks like a copy of a Primus stove does anyone know if a seal kit for the equivalent Primus will work?
    After reading about the hit and miss quality control of Burmos stoves I’m not too inclined to import parts to fix a possibly bad stove.

Attached Files:

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Don't know where the ad was but 'primus burmos' I wouldn't call incorrect. Primus has garnered a generic meaning over the years for this type of stove, whereas Burmos certainly hasn't. A reader would easily infer a Burmos brand 'primus stove" from the ad.

3. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

@gnome
    Yes, a kit of Primus parts for a similar sized stove (Pr.210) should fit fine. Off hand I cannot remember whether they both had their Pressure release valves in the top of the filler, but I think they did.
    If you look through the forums here for Burmos 21, you will see some of the issues with build quality and the struggles many have had with the removal of the Non Return Valve. This is either a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or it wants to be one of your first tasks. It needs a special tool made to extract it. (I have found that the heads of the Burmos NRVs seem to be longer than the tool I have). There are NRV tool designs on here as well.
    Best of luck
    Dean