Auto Optimus - 89

Discussion in 'Optimus Auto No:8' started by presscall, Dec 16, 2015.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I've posted this here under the 'Optimus Auto No.8' Stove Ref Gallery entries because it's essentially two Auto No.8's mounted in an enamelled stove frame and marketed as an 'Auto Optimus 89', so it's THIS '8G' but with the frame extended with another bay to enable two Auto Optimus stoves to be installed.

It went unsold on ebay before I drafted this post and it's the listing photos I've used, with thanks to the would-be seller. I considered it to be a sufficiently rare example to justify their use to capture the details for the Stove Reference Gallery before the link to the ebay listing fails in time.

$_57 (1).JPG

$_57 (2).JPG

$_57 (3).JPG

$_57 (4).JPG

$_57 (5).JPG

$_57 (6).JPG

$_57 (7).JPG

Here's the single-stove 8G, photo from the Stove Ref Gallery entry.

image (2).jpg

The twin-stove '89' features with the 8G in this catalogue in the Stove Reference Library.

image.jpg

In this flyer from 1916, also in the Stove Reference Library, the caption to the entry for the Auto Optimus says it "burns without use of the pump - self-lighting". I interpret that as meaning that it self-pressurises from the priming charge sufficiently to ignite the burner without use of the pump (like a '96' stove tends to do) and not that the pump isn't used at all.

The perforations on the rim of the primer cup presumably have something to do with that transfer of primer flame to burner? Or oxygenating a priming charge of paraffin without the need for alcohol primer?

image (1).jpg

John

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  2. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Alex, obviously intended for the Australasian market.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. threedots New Zealand

I wonder how successful that invention was. Short lived?
    The burner would get very sooty quickly.

5. presscall

CCS member Radler recently posted some details of an Auto Optimus used to power a heater of a type known as a 'tambour' in Switzerland.

John

6. Radler

Hello presscall

Thanks for the link. About two years ago, a twin burner Auto-Optimus was offered near in Switzerland Biel/Bienne for ridiculous sfr. 5.--. It was the same green enamel as on your pictures, but on one side the fingers of the pot support were broken away, and it had silent burners, if I remember well. I am sorry today, I did not buy it, but it was too far away to fetch.
    I wonder why they used roarer burners for such a typical indoor stove. Maybe the Auto-Optimus system tended to underburn or it was just for "audio-supervision" the stove. :content:

Radler

7. Beni

Found one this weekend. Stopped when I saw a flea market sign on the side of the road. After 3 years of collecting this is my first GPA I found in the wild. DSC_0842.JPG

8. presscall

@Beni
    Congratulations! Great find.

John

9. Beni

Thanks.
    Already started to clean it. I hope to get it working soon.