B 41 Coleman 500 ivory painted tank

Discussion in 'Coleman No:500' started by presscall, Feb 10, 2010.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

I thought I'd best post this topic before the stove's sold, which it is about to be as I write this (10th Feb. '10) possibly to someone who's not a CCS member, in which case we'd have lost sight of a mint example. The following was my email exchange with the seller, 'arnbay' (ebay username)

ME: It's a great favour to ask, but though I won't be bidding on the item, I wonder if you'd permit reproduction of the photographs of your rare stove in the Stove Reference Gallery of our collectors' site.

'ARNBAY': Yes, I'll be delighted to see the photos posted there so others can enjoy this treasure.

All photos courtesy of 'arnbay'

1265842467-1.jpg 1265842474-2.jpg 1265842480-3.jpg 1265842488-4.jpg 1265842495-5.jpg 1265842502-6.jpg 1265842508-7.jpg 1265842514-8.jpg 1265842521-9.jpg 1265842545-10.jpg 1265842552-11.jpg 1265842558-12.jpg 1265842564-13.jpg 1265842570-14.jpg

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. mbechtel

Good idea to grab the pics, I was drooling over this thing.

3. pshaw

Where did it go?

4. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

now thats a Speed Master that looks like it was made for a kitchen or a chip wagon in the 40's.
    it fits the clean cafe,white fridge and sink look.

5. presscall

Hello Arno and welcome to CCS!

Did the stove come to you with a history? In particular, have you any idea how the stove and box have remained in such good condition for the best part of 68 years?

Oh yeah, that green label on the box top. In your snapfish photo set you've one of that label with a caption in which you've deciphered the writing on it, which is torn in places. I couldn't get the definition necessary from the picture hosting site to add a pic of that label here but could you post us a picture of it and repeat the caption please? I've a feeling it might contribute something to the history file for the stove.

Thank you,

John

6. arno

Thanks, John. This stove came to me from a neighbor's 'estate,' Their son had come to clean out his parent's garage after Mom's death. Dad had been a Navy officer. In 50 yrs the garage had collected a lot -- a 2 car garage, no cars all storage. When I met him to commiserate, he was shaking his head over the boxed aluminum Yule tree. He asked if I was interested in anything. I gave him $3 for a short piece of narrow gauge rail line. The rest was just a jumble. The next day he came to say he'd put everything in the driveway and called a junker; I should take anything I wanted. This was a pile but I picked a few old tools, 2 camp stoves (the 500 and a 502) a fantastic Stanley vacuum Bottle, 1923, with cobalt blue enamel liner and Bakelite stopper (now at ebay). It was a year before I even opened the 500 box. I expected to see a piece of rusty crud that might never work. NEW! Absolutely never used.
    The green shipping label is torn, but shows that it was shipped from a Los Angeles Sporting Goods Store to one in Long Beach, CA. (not very far). Likely the Navy Captain was stationed there. Why was it never used? My guess is that the Navy officer shipped out after the attack on Pearl Harbor (Dec 1941) and had no opportunity to use the stove for years. By then 'gasoline' was considered dangerous? They did buy a 502. Or they bought a larger Coleman, now that they had 'boomers'? My guess is that his wife brought the stove along for years until they settled next door. I will try to post the shipping label. ENJOY!

7. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

WOW! Thanks for the information and the photos.

8. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello,
    Wah, wah all my stove money is going to the University of Miami for the next 4 and 1/2 years.

Then lookout ! man I love this stove !

chuck

9. presscall

Good grief! ... One more time ... Good grief!

I don't usually use those smiley things, but that response warrants a couple :clap: :clap:

Thanks again, arno.

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  10. arno

Sorry to be so slow in adding label pic. NOT EASY with small size required...
    To decipher label: Largest Sporting Goods House on Pacific Coast send to Imperial.. in Long Beach.
    (Named for the Imperial Valley, Calif)

11. presscall

A plethora of these things headed your way tonight (8.30pm UK time) Arno ...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers, friend

John

12. arno

John, My stepson, a Stanford University senior, is at Oxford U for a couple months on a linguistics project. He's blogged a bit on how much we're separated by English.
    In the US, an 'estate' sale doesn't mean anyone is selling some big real estate, it means the folks have died and they are clearing out the house, however small it might be!
    8)

13. presscall

Hi Arno

No, I wasn't fooled by the linguistics, on this occasion at least! I knew what you meant. "Good grief" was my reaction to the jaw-dropping tale.

Thanks to TV, movies (now in 3-D) and the interweb (particularly this international, much-loved 'stovie' forum in my case) I find the American/Aussie/Canook/UK ... etc. variations in the use and spelling of English easier to follow than I used to!

Car boot sale, UK = yard sale, US. There's a lot of mention of those on CCS.

Thanks again for all of that information on the stove. I'd love to put in a bid myself but fear it will get out of my league, price-wise.

All the best,

John

14. Texas

A very interesting story. Assuming the original owner did immediately go to war in 41 also places the couple as children of the Depression era. I grew up under the tutelege of one and he was a keeper of stuff....as am I. His stuff didn't have to be particularly good stuff, just useable and sometimes useful stuff. No stoves in the stuff but I do have 40 years worth of a rural vocational agriculture teachers record accumulation. Stuff and what to do with it and sometimes left to children to deal with.

Glad to see that stove.

Bob

15. itchy

Would Coleman have already shifted to war-time production (paint instead of plate) prior to Pearl Harbor and our "official" entry into the conflict?

In anycase, it is a beauty.

16. presscall

Good point, Itchy, and one that I put to 'flivver' in the context of a discussion about my own ivory font Coleman 500.

Cheers,

John

17. ulysses

John:

Pres. Roosevelt declared a national emergency in May of 1941. Among other things, it Federalized / nationalized the various state's National Guard units into Federal service. It may have also identified strategic materials, like nickle and brass, for defense industries, if it hadn't been done before then. By "B 41" Coleman time, the factory may have shifted to the painted tank.

Paul

18. itchy

I missed the "B 41".

It is amazing what insight one can get into those times from something as insignificant* as a humble stove.

*Not insignificant to members here of course.

19. Texas

Many things were in short supply or rationed in the U.S., including some foodstuffs, tires, gasoline, etc. Communities had "Victory" gardens, local canning and processing efforts, metal drives and on and on.

Contrast that to today's "throw way" products and seemingly including some stoves. We seem to make them cheaper (as far as materials are concerned) and sell them higher.

Best,
    Bob

20. arno

This NEW 1941 500 sold at ebay for $337 to a fellow in Ardmore OK, usa. There were 6 bidders who went over $200. A bidder from Japan was close at the end.
    I much appreciate John's willingness to help educate me and introduce me to this site. :thumbup: