Backpacking with my Scouts

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Brerarnold, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Brerarnold

I am off for some backpacking with some of my Scout troop tomorrow. Reason told me to pack the Snow Peak Giga Power stove -- it works great and is the lightest stove I own. Emotion told me to pack the Svea 123R. Emotion won out. Shucks, it's not that long a hike and not that much extra weight.

2. ajvuik

ajvuik Subscriber

the svea123... somehow that feels like the best choise ;)

Anyway, have fun with your scouts and WE WANT PICTURES!

hehe,

Arjan.

3. Brerarnold

I guess I'll have to figure out that picture thing someday. :-k

4. Andrew61

Get the Scouts to show you how to do the "picture thing", they are young they will know. Tell them it is for their digital photography badge or computing badge or something like that.

5. Brerarnold

Had a wonderful time. Tired and sore but so what? The Svea performed wonderfully as always. Among the various Coleman white gas stoves (Didn't catch the numbers on any of them -- one might have been a 440?), it is a real stand-out. I got to experience once again that great chuffing sound of "Tea and food on their way!" and then the equally wonderful sound of silence when cooking is done.

One of the dads was so impressed, he wants to get one now.

Works great with the GSI Soloist cookset. Take of the L-shaped pot rests, and it nests right down inside the cookset for transport.

Once again appreciated the wisdom of Colin Fletcher, who remarked that one of the virtues of the Svea is its aluminum cover/pan/cup. Not for cooking or drinking, but to turn it upside down and use it as a rest for the Sierra cup. (I do use it for boiling tea water while I am preparing food to cook in another pan.)