BAT (Germany) problems

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by A A C, Aug 2, 2021.

1. A A C

A A C Norway Subscriber

I got a good price on an identical pair of BAT stoves. Both marked Made in Germany with no other model designation . Both looked in good condition , fairly clean no dents etc. Both have brass plated steel tank bottoms though the rest of the tank seems to be brass (non magnetic. Neither had original burners, one being a Primus and the other a Svea, both silent types . One stove had a BAT outer burner cup with the bat crest .
    I cleaned one of them up replacing seals NRV pip and pump leather.
    F639C8B3-23C6-4073-AA6D-EC68D987DEAE.jpeg 6B2B7EEE-B7E4-4856-B7B9-80CD23F331D2.jpeg
    Looking nice and so far so good .
    However on test firing the tank wouldn't hold pressure and an ominous pool of fuel appeared under the stove.
    1A4146CB-1BCE-4E97-8B5F-4A43099AF94B.jpeg
    This is what I found on closer inspection ; two cracks on the tank wall . The brass looks creased . I looked at the other stove and - lo and behold * this tank was cracked as well !
    I am going to have a go at repairing one of them . I have not done so much soldering apart from attaching legs and other minor jobs ... All tips and advice are welcomed and greatly appreciated. Alastair.

*these were not the actual words used at the time

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @AAC you describe classic stress corrosion cracking in your pair of BAT stoves. I would advise against repair.....

Sad tale of Phoebus No.30.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

4. A A C

A A C Norway Subscriber

@kerophile @gieorgijewski
    Thanks gentlemen . Very sound advice . I now realise the cracks appeared when I pressurised the tank to a working pressure . I had done a low pressure leak test with a balloon over the riser when I was cleaning the tank . It held pressure then . Looking at this from a «glass half-full» perspective, I now have lots of extra parts !
    Do you think the steel bottom on the otherwise brass tank has been a factor ?

5. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

in my case - finger dropped down inside the tank...
    bottom brass - is only foil...
    ballon test is not good - not enough high pressure

pressurised tank under water test - will be better

6. ulysses

ulysses Subscriber

The "silver lining" / good news is that you have two, high quality Swedish burners. Keeping searching; there are good quality No. 1 and 5 fonts / tanks out there without burners, to be had cheaply, most likely.

Paul

7. A A C

A A C Norway Subscriber

I am an experience richer after the disappointment . I have learned about classic stress cracks ! I have two Swedish burners, tank lids, pump pistons and two very solid looking NRVs with hex ends .
    These stoves are now officially out of circulation. A fitting resting place for worn out BATs - hanging upside down in the attic ! ;)
    2BFFD0C7-3BC5-477F-BA13-68D897FC7D3C.jpeg