BAT (No. 1?), military

Discussion in 'Bat' started by SMolson, Aug 4, 2013.

1. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

A BAT military stove, made by GDR (East Germany, aka German Democratic Republic). Unsure of her date of manufacture, but I'd put her between mid 70's to mid 80's. She was sourced from a Military Surplus store in the US roughly 10 years ago (still trying to confirm a more accurate date). Used by a fly fisherman on trips to Wolf lake, ON and Labrador. Replaced by a newly purchased propane camp stove, hence she became expendable and for sale...

Most appears to be original to the stove, including her wonderful case. She came with double sided user manual, spare parts bag, pan ring, 3 pot supports, plastic funnel, burner, spanner, pricker, fuel and fount caps.

The inner/outer cap are not original, they are Radius spares. The draught-shield/burner pre-heater is a painted (matt black) Friskies (cat food) can I cut to size. The paint is BBQ paint, heat resistant to 1600 F.
    1375633901-IMG_4665_BAT_opt.jpg

I love her case, thick plastic (PVC), riveted along her seams and for added strength, corners protected with steel sheaths, heavy duty leather carrying handle, thick strap and buckle, etc. I believe that's the original case, it shows military colors and suits the stove well. Ample room inside for more gear in addition to the stove.
    1375633923-IMG_4627_BAT_opt.jpg

Sticker likely affixed to front bottom of case by War Surplus store.
    1375633932-IMG_4628_BAT_opt.jpg

Stove disassembled
    1375633947-IMG_4640_BAT_opt.jpg

Spare parts ('Reserveteile') bag in ziplock for protection. ‘fur Petroleumgaskocher’ BAT No. 1 and 3. It likely included nipple, gaskets, pricker and washers (but envelope was empty). BAT No. 3 was a domestic stove, kerosene, brass, roarer so taking a guess that this model is the No. 1.
    1375633963-IMG_4629_BAT_opt.jpg

Double sided user manual, multiple languages (already a copy in the Reference Library).
    1375633971-IMG_4631_BAT_opt.jpg

1375633979-IMG_4632_BAT_opt.jpg

Some numbering on center page, bottom - not sure if any of these indicate date of printing or manufacture (73 = 1973? - likely not).
    1375633986-IMG_4633_BAT_opt.jpg

Fount stamping: 'BAT' and the BAT logo (of a bat, lol).
    1375634001-IMG_4641_BAT_opt.jpg

'MADE IN GDR'
    1375634011-IMG_4642_BAT_opt.jpg

'INSIST ON SEEING NAME "BAT"'
    1375634021-IMG_4644_BAT_opt.jpg

Fuel cap and vent screw. The disk on top of fuel cap becomes the fount's center cap when stove is packed for travelling/storage. No text or scribing on any of the pieces, just some nice knurling. Fuel cap's gasket had also dried out and needed to be replaced.
    1375634040-IMG_4648_BAT_opt.jpg

Center fount cap unscrewed from fuel cap. No washer on the center fount cap, although there is a gap between the last thread and the underside of the top of the cap. I cut a replacement viton washer that fits her (not shown).
    1375634051-IMG_4650_BAT_opt.jpg

Center fount cap deployed over fount's burner hole.
    1375634063-IMG_4651_BAT_opt.jpg

Pump rod/cap with steel rod. Again, no labeling just nice knurling. Pump cup was leather.
    1375634078-IMG_4653_BAT_opt.jpg

NRV leaked during pressure testing so it was removed. Different design to open the brass tube to access spring/PIP - small brass nut makes it very easy. PIP was molded one piece, dried out (replaced with brass cup and newly cut viton PIP, not shown).
    1375634105-IMG_4667_NRV_opt.jpg

No dings on the fuel tank or burner, she's in fine shape (just needs a cleaning).
    1375634124-IMG_4654_BAT_opt.jpg

Spanner was a little worn, the working end with rounded corners, not squared. Jet pricker was well designed - had a slider the user could push in/out to enable/hide the wire (better protection). No labelling on either piece.
    1375634145-IMG_4655_BAT_opt.jpg

Other side of pricker showing the slider that controls the wire.
    1375634163-IMG_4656_BAT_opt.jpg

Plastic funnel, no markings. Inside were 4 little nibs that I presume are there to support a copper fine-mesh screen (not present).
    1375634197-IMG_4657_BAT_opt.jpg

All her fuel cap gaskets and the PIP have been replaced, she now holds pressure fine so will post flame shots soon.

She seems like a well built 2 pint camping stove. Very lucky (and unusual imo) to find her locally, no shipping charges - just a 1.5 bike ride down the street.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. junior trangia master

nice stove :thumbup:
    but i personaly prefer roarer burners :-#

3. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

super find and thats a lot to be said for a silent that would run by a trout river in Labrador,unless this fellow had a hut or cook tent

4. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

G,,day mate. nice one.
    cheers
    kerry

5. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

It's been quite windy and unsettled weather here today with fronts coming and going and rain/t-storms to match, so I ran and took some shots of her indoors.

She runs very well, and heats up fast. Making evening strawberry jam
    1375666782-IMG_4672_Bat_opt.jpg

The horizontal length of her pot supports are 1.75 cm shorter compared to equivalent 2 pint camping stoves, which adds up across 3 of them. So unless a wide-based pot is used you'll have to deploy the pan ring.
    1375666788-IMG_4682_BAT_opt.jpg

Another unique feature of this stove is that her pump cylinder lies horizontal across the tank, not angled vertically down towards the bottom. I don't know if that's a hindrance or not, but I didn't notice any problems in the time she was running (40 minutes). One of the side effects would be if the NRV leaked you'd know it real fast (wouldn't pool at the lowest point because there isn't one). She's not a great simmering stove, as soon as you vent out pressure to reduce the heat output, within a few minutes she's back on near full-power again. Boy, that brass likes to conduct heat!

Hi Dave - I don't know how controlled or what environment the stove was used in during those other trips. I'm trying to get more information from the previous owner (his Dad sold it for his son). She only cost $30 Cdn, and I also got a jar of fresh red current jelly in the deal.

The case is NOT PVC. I had a closer look at it today and it's some kind of pressed fiber which has a thick laminate (polyurethane waterproofing?) over it. It's stiff but pliable, very tough but lightweight. I love the case, she's designed to stand up in very rough conditions/environments but will not dent like metal. Very happy and lucky to have found this. The fellow selling it was a retired diver (with Parks Canada then in the US in the Keys as a contracted 'treasure hunter'). Dove on old Spanish wrecks, amazing stories. Ended up talking with him and his wife for a couple of hours, turns out he works with brass as a hobby and is an experienced brazer, so i may take a few things to him for help and gain experience.

I hope to learn more of this stove's recent history, will post it here accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  6. kadi Morocco

Hello

I m new in this blog i m from morocco i have the same items are you interested

7. Radler Switzerland

The stove instruction sheet is from 1973. MONSATOR was the selling organisation for kitchen gear in the GDR. They also sold many BAT stoves.
    I think the case is much older. Are you sure it's made of PVC? Such boxes were used as travel box for ladies hats or for home delivery of fragile items i.e. baked goods before WWII.

Radler

8. TowItch United Kingdom

Is there a possibility that the case for the stove is made from Duroplast? A substance like fibreglass but made from cotton waste and phenolic resin. Duroplast was big in East Germany it was used for a lot of the Trabant body panels.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2019