Beat up svea 106 with bicycle clamp.

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Stef, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Stef Netherlands

This is my last purchase. I'm not sure if it's a good purchase. It's really beat up. And the pump handle is stuck?? Not sure what that could be. Is it a saver? Curious what you guys think. IMAG2260.jpg IMAG2266.jpg IMAG2264.jpg IMAG2263.jpg IMAG2262.jpg IMAG2261.jpg

2. Stef Netherlands

The burner is bent to one side. It's a little hard to see. And there's even a small dent from the inside?? And there's something lose inside...

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    The Svea No. 106 is a great stove, and worth fixing.

The pump should come free if you put some penetrating oil down the pump tube (or even soak it in kerosene).

The burner can be straightened with gentle leverage.

You are missing the travel cap that fits on the end of the pump when not ‘travelling’. These are available on line.

Good luck getting it going.

Cheers

Tony

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

5. kerophile

Hi @Stef as Tony says this stove is well worth saving!
    In addition, yours is the first larger stove I have seen fitted with a cycle clip. It is generally 1/2 and 1 pint stoves that were fitted with cycle clips in the UK.
    Here is a link to a restoration of a Primus No.100 stove, to perhaps give you some ideas and encouragement:

1911 Primus No.100 Resurrection.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

It should be possible to straighten the burner/riser assembly by grasping the burner firmly, holding down the tank with the other hand and moving the burner into the correct position.
    Dent outwards indicates that something loose inside the tank has caused it, though it seems strange that anything loose in there could have the kinetic energy to inflict such damage.
    Stuck pump - use penetrating oil to loosen.
    If you’re unlucky, what’s loose in the tank could be the fuel pickup tube, broken off when the burner was knocked or bent out of line. Unscrew the filler cap and jiggle the tank until it’s possible to peer in and catch sight of the object.

7. Stef Netherlands

Thanks for The replies guys.
    And @kerophile thanks for the eBay link.

The pump handle is free but I can only move it a little. It feels like it's hitting something solid on the inside. 1576050737449934824650.jpg this is how far it will go. If I can find the right tools here (girlfriends place) I'll attempt to take out the pump. But I don't want to damage anything.

IMAG2268.jpg
    This is the small dent from the inside out.

If it's the pickup tube that's loose inside the tank. Is that something that's fixible?

Greetings stef

8. Stef Netherlands

I got the tank open. And it was full of tiny balls of solder. And one very big splash off solder. The splash is still in there. It was very hard to make a picture. I'll try to make a picture with my new phone when I get it. Hope the tank is leak free.

9. kerophile

Hi @Stef have a look at this post showing the inside of a classic brass stove tank and the method of construction:

Valor No.51 Dissection.

After assembly of the top and bottom of the stove, and attachment of fittings, the joints were flooded with soft solder to further strengthen the joints, and make a hermetic seal.

If subsequent additions or repairs, involving high temperatures, are carried out on a tank this jointing solder can re-melt and result in loose joints and blobs of re-solidified solder in or on the tank.

The addition of a bicycle clip to a tank is an extreme example of this process as there can be a massive lump of very hot brass casting being soldered to the thin walled tank.

On your Svea 106 stove it can be seen that the bottom seam of the tank, leg attachment points, and possibly riser tube all show evidence to solder melting and re-solidification and this solder has been dispersed from original locations.

Some of this could have occurred when the cycle clip casting was first attached to the stove (these clips were after-market additions).

Repair of the damage caused by loss of internal solder is difficult as the tanks are assembled with rolled seams and expanded /mechanically jointed componets, making dismantling practically impossible. Nevertheless there are posts on CCS of riser tubes being successfully reattached and repaired by skilled CCS members,

Valor 55C

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  10. Stef Netherlands

Thanks again for the in depth information @kerophile ! I keep on learning.

11. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

My only addition to this is that I have seen stoves with clamps that allow them to attach to the handrails/siderails on a boat. It may explain the damage to the stove as well. I would offer advice but this is clearly beyond my skill level. Good luck.

Stove mounted like this

91eIfNDPn1L._SL1500_.jpg