Bernzomatic on Kampkook valve repair

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by fizzle, Feb 27, 2021.

1. fizzle United States

I have a Kampkook 2522 double burner that, at some point in it's past (before it came to me), was converted to propane, with a Bernzomatic valve stem. It has worked great for years, but recently the valve has started to leak when fully closed, in the off position. I have removed the inner brass valve assembly from the outer aluminum housing/knob. Inside the brass assembly, there is a spring loaded valve core that looks just like the valve core in an automotive tire stem. I completely unthreaded this valve core, but the needle in the center of the valve core will not come out, even tugging with needle nose pliers. I've never had such an issue with tire stem valve cores. Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG

2. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

@fizzle , the needle is part of the valve core, it doesn't come out.

3. fizzle United States

Maybe I'm mis understanding. The valve core is completely unthreaded, but the needle won't come out with the rest of the valve core, like it would on a tire stem valve. Are you saying that even though the valve core unthreads, the valve core and needle are not removable on these propane valves??