Best Coleman stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Terry Moore, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Terry Moore United States

I've used a coleman 533 for years as a
    work /camp stove and at times for all our cooking. I really liked it UNTILL I started using this 502. Night and day difference. I'll be selling the 533''s and 508''s now and just go from there . I know they are not for everyone but I just really like them

2. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

It's my favorite as well.

3. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

The best Coleman in my opinion was their first, the #1 for a two burner. For a single burner it would be the 500- Speedmaster. Mike...

4. Jim Lukowski United States

The 502 is awesome and nothing comes close to simmering as well as the 502, but it's only 4500 BTU. I'm impatient waiting for my morning coffee when camping, so I heat the water with a 'Born to Boil' M-1950, and then switch to the 502 for the perking.

500's are nice, but as is, can't handle a slight breeze. I made wind screens for mine and now it's a stellar performer. The screens were really simple to make for this stove.

5. Marc

Marc Subscriber

I prefer the 400 for a single burner stove. Simmers well and a higher WOT.

6. Majicwrench

7. Terry Moore United States

Heavier more durable made

Better grate holds pans more secure
    With less slipping

Easier lighting

Better more precise temp control

Better low flame setting for cooking

Less complicated generator replacement
    If needed

Metal pump instead of 533 plastic pump

I have 2 of the 533 stoves and 2 of the 508 stoves and don't see much difference in the 2 but see a lot between them and the 502''s
    I have the svea 123,primus 71,and the Optimus 80's as well as homemade alcahol stoves and have not used our gas stove in over a month choosing instead to use and compare these stoves for all our cooking

8. OMC

OMC Subscriber

hello Terry,
    I am a +1 on, note A., the more stable 502 "Better grate holds pans more secure
    With less slipping
    " [and pot/kettle tipping].
    502 grate has 8 points to support pot on outer edge of the 4" grate vs 400s, 508, 533 use same grate and support in only 4 points of 3 1/2" grate.
    and
    +1 B. "Less complicated generator replacement" [ /cleaning ]

However
    re "I have 2 of the 533 stoves and 2 of the 508 stoves and don't see much difference in the 2..."
    maybe you have 2 508As? :-k
    508 vs 533 the difference is significant
    103_3587.JPG

508 has 2 levers: red on/off, black flame control.
    533 has 1 lever: red on/off.
    I post defending the "hot" 508 (not 508A) but...

Re hot 508 vs 502
    Sounds like the title of this thread could be:
    Best Coleman stove, the 502.
    I'll always join praise for the 502 (it was "my 1st" 1 burner c1971/72, never failed), near zero maintenance req'd. that and noting again my A & B above.
    thx omc
    oh, re note A. the different pot supports:
    coleman1brnrGrate.JPG

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  9. Majicwrench

@Terry Moore, good reasons. I don't actually have a 502 at this particular moment in time.
    I use a 500A for most things when I need/want a single burner Coleman.

10. skorpiius

skorpiius Subscriber

Of the 500a, 502, 508, 508a which have the most readily available spare parts?

11. jrs08

jrs08 Subscriber

x's 2 on the 400. Great simmering and really cranks out the BTU's if needed. Have used one for 30yrs. Wish they still made them. jrs08

12. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

@skorpiius

Generators for the 400B/508A are probably the easiest to find in the US and the 400/400a/508 are probably the hardest to find, unless you happen to walk into a Black Sheep Sports in northern Idaho and they had 19 of them sitting on the shelf. I see 502 generators on ebay all the time.

Mike

13. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

@Terry Moore, spot on as to the 502! It also carries more fuel, and the larger base makes for a more stable surface to cook on.

@Jim Lukowski , that's the book number - I've one here that will turn the pot supports red hot, I suspect the jets a little worn, and burning well above 4500 BTU!

Murph

14. Jim Lukowski United States

@Murph

Yes, 4500 BTU is Coleman's published number. When working on a 500 with bad burner rings, I found that the 502's are the same outer diameter and therefore interchangeable. It makes sense that if your tip is worn, you'd have an even hotter stove.

Out of curiosity, I added a burner ring to a 500 and the flame was more robust, but when attempting to simmer, the flame began disappearing and the burner started glowing red. I decided it was wise to remove the extra ring.

15. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Thanks to HV @MrAlexxx - I can bid in with;
    Small and light with good simmer:
    My 400.
    Good simmer for larger pans: My 502 (great one)

Lightweight hiking in all weather and winds - My old M1942 MOD Mountain stove.

16. Haggis

For what it’s worth, I like 502’s,,, it’s my absolute favorite single burner Coleman,,, I’ve given one to each of the male members of my large family,,, Now I’m back up to three 502’s in my shop, so a couple of close friends will soon be getting their own 502. They’re heavy to carry far, and that’s a negative, so when I’m back in the bush, it stays home,,, it’s a car stove...Really like the cook set/carrying case...

I like 533’s when I’m actually in the bush, back of beyond, and need a dependable workhorse stove. 550B’s are good too, but I have to fill them too often, so a 533 is my go to stove when I’m back in canoe country, far from the nearest road... Endlessly boiling water to drink, for cooking, or for tea I need lots of heat, but when cooking, the 533 will also simmer as well... It’s only 6 ounces lighter than the 502, but as mentioned, it burns hotter, and 6 ounces is that much more fuel I can carry.

Every stove has its place to shine I suppose, and the 502 is a tough as nails, but not far from the truck, and in no hurry to get things done stove...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  17. 8R Pete

8R Pete United States Subscriber

I personally like the 530 Coleman stove.

18. Haggis

Stove weights “borrowed” from someplace,,, How many BTU’s, how much fuel the stove will hold, and how well the stove simmers is yet another issue...

“Coleman 400 brown:29 oz (822 g)

Coleman 530:35 oz (992 g), in container with tool, 44 oz (1247 g)

Coleman 576:32 oz (908 g)

Coleman 550:18 oz (510 g)

Coleman 500:65 oz (1842 g)

Coleman 502:38 oz (1077 g), in 501 cook kit, 50 oz (1417 g)

Coleman 533:32 oz (908 g), in plastic case, 42 oz (1191 g)”

Weight matters when hiking or portaging between lakes...

Again, in the “Silent Places”, I prefer the 533, but the 502 is my overall favorite Coleman piggyback stove...

19. skorpiius

skorpiius Subscriber

Even though I don't need more stoves (hah!) I think I may get a 502. Currently I use my 550B as an occasional 3rd burner with my 425, but the 502 really seems like the 1 burner 'version' of the traditional suitcase stove whereas the other stoves mentioned seem like various attempts through the decades as a canoe/hiking lighter weight stove. The 502 just seems like the perfect complement to the suitcases.

20. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Ive only got 4 Colemans so my experience is limited. None of them that old. 533 and feather 422 absolute power houses but simmer goes from quite high to extreme. Both light perfectly in all weather Ive thrown at them. They would benefit from new generators. The 422 is light enough. 505B has ended up my go to stove. Not quite as grunty as the first 2 but powerful enough to be useful and a reasonable simmer. Pity its so heavy. Apex2 lightweight and goes well enough. No powerhouse but enough and a good simmer. Can be finicky at times lighting and always pulses. Previous owner replaced the fuel line and made it too long. Shortening reduced the pulsing. Probably my lightest stove. I would use it more if it didnt feel fragile. I know its as robust as everything else it just doesnt feel like it. 2 burner I think is a 3M $25 auction find, coat of green paint and throw in a match. Ive had it 5 years and thats its sum total of maintenance. It just works. No fuss lots of heat a usable simmer (on the slave burner) Probably should of sanded it before painting.