Big Veritas Stove 1948+

Discussion in 'Falk, Stadelmann & Co Ltd' started by igh371, Aug 19, 2017.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC06007.JPG

Describing this only as a 'Big Veritas Stove' as there does not seem to be any documentation available to identify a model name or number. It is awaiting a fair bit of restoration work, unlike @Spiritburner 's pristine chromed example.

There is a little history I was given by the vendor: "It was in a derelict house which we bought to renovate, and interestingly, the next door lady (85) says she remembers it being the only form of cooking, used in the outhouse where we found it."

Investigation of the registered design number (853465) has revealed little more than that the stove must date from either 1948 or a little later:
    1345014_BT_52_2400_001crop.jpg 1345014_BT_52_2400_002crop.jpg

DSC06003.JPG DSC06004.JPG DSC06006.JPG DSC06008.JPG DSC06005.JPG

2. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce SotM Winner Subscriber

A very interesting stove, especially the pot stand that the trivit goes on. The small bit of history is worthy of documantion, may by you could get some info if the lady remembers some more. History makes things so much more interesting.
    Well done,
    Cheers
    Rob

3. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

That is a very interesting, if not so little, stove. Any idea how much fuel it takes? It looks about the same as a Tilley lamp in the pictures.

I was wondering about that pot stand too. How tightly does the band at the bottom fit onto the top of the fount? I'm not sure how safe I would feel if I was cooking something that needed vigorous stirring if there was a danger that the stand could slip out from under the pan.

Regards
    John

4. Wim

Wim Subscriber

I am jealous of your bench grinder! ;):lol:

Best regards,

Wim

5. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

I am lucky - I have seen and even touched that grinder! :D