Bleuet Cartridges

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Petromax828, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Petromax828

Does anyone remember what cartridge the Bleuet took anymore? Found another Bleuet in better shape than my old one, and the cartridges cant be found anymore, at least not here in Finland...

Anders

2. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

The Bleuet's which I have ( dating from the late 1960's ) all use the standard 190g pierceable gas cartridge which are still available in the UK at least.
    The problem which them is that the shaped rubber washer which surrounds the "piercer" goes hard and then doesn't seal at all when fitted to a new cartridge. Not a lot you can do except put it outside and wait for all the gas to vent.

3. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Look here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. Petromax828

Thank You Ian!
    Too bad there is no number on the cartridge, makes it a bit more difficult to find...

Anders

5. Rod1883

Hello Keith, everyone

I'm new here having found the forum, and this topic, searching for a spares source for our old Bleuet S200 that we have dug out of the cupboard for a trip to France and Classic Le Mans in a couple of weeks. The butane cartridge in the burner, that has been in place for years and years, still has gas in it, but I'm concerned that the rubber seal that you described won't seal onto the spare cartridge that we have, when fitted.
    Do you know if/where a replacement seal can be obtained?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Rod

6. -/-

Welcome to Rod1883

There's no spare rubberseal to be had, sorry.

7. hikin_jim

Henrik,

Surely something like that could be rigged up from a nitrile sheet, yes?

The CV206 (sometimes also labeled C206) cartridges shouldn't be too hard to find in the UK based on what other members of this forum have posted. The C206/CV206 cartridges are readily available here in the US.

HJ

8. -/-

HJ you give me too much credit!

The shape is quite complex and casting is the "only" way.

1277278985-RIMG0502__Medium_.JPG 1277278995-RIMG0503__Medium_.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  9. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Rod 1883,

I'd be inclined to burn off the remaining gas in your stove's cartridge, then fit a new one and see how the seal holds up. I have a Camping Gaz Globe Trotter which is showing no sign of the seal hardening 30 yrs down the line. Indeed, I have a number of CG stoves and other appliances and have yet to experience hardening of the crtridge seal.

10. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

The seals only harden when exposed to air. If you always leave the cartridge on the seal should last forever.

11. hikin_jim

My old S206 Camping Gaz stove's seal is still working well as is the seal on my GT106.

HJ

12. -/-

Cover them with a tiny amount of silicon grease, guaranteed they never dry out! And they just slip onto the next canister.

13. Rod1883

Thanks to everyone for the replies, advice and photo's.
    What a helpful and friendly group you are. The photos's are great and show me waht to expect when the cartridge is removed. I shall see what happens when the cartridge needs changing, and have some silicon grease handy too.

On another topic - I have a number of old stoves hidden away somewhere that were my Fathers, probably dating from the mid/late 1930's when he was a keen scout. I'll dig them out, probably in a few weeks time, to see what they are, and if I can, post some pictures.

Thanks,
    Rod

14. -/-

Only 2 posts and you're allready hooked!
    That was fast :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  15. Ronzo

Forum;

Sure this is an ancient thread, but I thought I'd still revive it, add my 2 cents, plus ask for the latest on S206 availability. I purchased my Campinz Gaz stove using the S206 cartridges in Germany in around 1972, and used it only a few times as a backup...and love it for its unpack-lite-it-and-cook simplicity (compared to the SVEA123, not that I don't love the SVEA for it's advantages!). Recently I needed to loan out the CG it into emergency service again during a power outage and had no issues with the seal whatsoever...obviously it needs to stand up to the hydrocarbon fuel, but the rubber seal seams like a high durometer robust type which stands up very well...

...and I also used up what I thought was the last cartridge I might be able to get here in the US. (I have since found one more, but that is the absolute last cartridge I know I have!)

The last I heard, S206 cartridges are no longer available here. Can anyone please update me if that is still the case or if it has changed. If I truly cannot buy these cartridges here anymore (and likely ever again), but they are still available in Britain, I'll likely make it available for anyone interested there.

Cheers from Connecticut!

16. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Ronzo
    It's possible to refill a pierced cartridge in situ by removing the jet and connecting up a purpose-made refuelling rig. Though the gas carts you speak of are still readily available in the UK, the smaller capacity Campingaz carts for the original Bleuet from the 1950's have long been obsolete and refilling one installed in the stove is the only way to keep the stove in use.

image.jpg

John

17. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

The C206 canisters are not readily available in the US. I have an army surplus store a couple hours away that still has a small stock of em, and I spoke with someone on the east coast that found a stash in an old hardware store just a while back. As noted above, they can be refilled, does not have to be as complicated as pictured above, a cheapy butane caninster with a rubber nipple works fine.

18. presscall

True, but more gas has to be transferred than when refilling a butane lighter and hand-held refilling arrangements can get messy (and can freeze fingertips) with gas blow-by. Quite possibly you're steadier of hand than I am, Majicwrench.

Either way, something to be done oudoors and well away from ignition sources obviously.

19. Ronzo

John; Thanks for quick response! That link and refilling rig are truly as you Brits say: Brilliant! My compliments! (My comments regarding refilling likely being illegal are along those of Nordicthug's...I'll be control of my actions, fingers, safety and future, thank you...and in this regard, thank you once more for the Safety Check link ...more Brilliance and great support on your part!)
    My only issue with this technique is that I'd dearly like to take my stove on a trips because of the simplicity of operation, but once empty I'd need a cartridge in the field, because refilling there is not much of an option...

Mw; Thanks also for your response! Is there any chance I might ask for the detail on that "east coast hardware store stash"...I'd love to lay in a mini stash of a few cans myself...

I also checked epay, and it seems that appliances using these cartridges are not much more than "a dime a dozen", so I'll probably save that last canister, lay in a few more on reserve if possible, but convert over to using the slightly heavier, and more complicated SVEA123 for any outings. For as infrequently as I have used this stove, I probably wont go to the trouble of making up a refilling rig, but I find it commendable that creative, resourceful individuals have come up with workable options.

Cheers!

20. presscall

Thanks@Ronzo
    True enough.

Best wishes,

John