blocked burners

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Henry, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Henry

Some time ago there was a posting about blocked burners.
    Just thought I'd share a little trick with you that was told to me years ago.

Take the nipple out of the burner and heat the whole burner to a dull cherry red using oxy- acetylene. Better to do this on a fire brick rather than in a vice as the mass of metal in the vice takes too much heat.
    When it reaches a constant colour (or color for our colonial friends) turn off the acetylene and turn up the oxygen. Be careful as the tubes begin to glow very brightly, to much and you will melt the burner. Oops!
    You will be amazed the amount of fireworks that shoot back over your hands and out of the nipple hole.
    I have tried this with completely blocked burners and it always works for me.
    Tis a miracle to be sure.

If there are any collectors that don't have access to an oxy-acetylene set and have tried acids etc. to no avail I would like to offer my services free of charge. Just post me the offending burner along with return postage and I will do the deed for you.

When I say free, if you have any unwanted small items, nipples, burner rings, twenty pound notes etc. you could include them.

Henry

2. Stonehopper

Hi Henry, I have a blocked burner and have read your advice. I don't have access to a gas set, and was wondering if your offer to clear the culprit still stands. I've got the jet out (small Primus roarer) and put 50psi in the bottom - no joy. It's an old burner, and one I would like to fit to my S.H.& S. which currently has a silent jobbie. That works well enough, but the pan ring is a roarer type, and I believe the Wartime S.H.& S. was intended to be roarer.
    Regards - Derek

3. brassnipplekey

Good grief ... That,s a 'blast from the past' ,
    Henry looks a lot older now :)
    If you've not got access to oxy acet gear .. Do it yourself using a blow torch & repeatedly heat & quench in water .. 7al times & you'll be amazed at how much black crap comes out .
    Possibly heat and quench is not as effective as a heat & oxygen blow through .. but it works & is potentially less harmful to the burner .

Nick

4. Stonehopper

Thanks Nick, I'll give it a go with the gas torch. (Only a little one!)

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

They did a silent wartime one as well - maybe for use nearer to enemy lines ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi Derek

If you don't have access to oxy-acetylene equipment, then you might try this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  7. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

I think I'd go with Trevor's suggestion . . .I'm a touch timid about putting brazed burners near to oxy acetylene gear, in case it all became a heap of components, rather than a blocked burner :shock:
    A good heat and quench session with a blowlamp can clear a lot of muck !

8. Stonehopper

Thanks Trevor, I started the heat and quench process and got 'some' air going through. Needs more application - off for more torch canisters! The blockage is now within the head, tubes are clear. I'll keep at it.

9. Neil B

I've been heating them over a stove in my garage, then dunking them in a bucket of water with apair of pliers. It has cleaned out the black crap just fine, saves me on gas canisters,

Neil

10. Stonehopper

Not only stubborn, but now leaking from the tube head joints. Been through about 25 heat and dunking cycles. Looks like I'll have to pass on this one.