Blue Speckled Enamel Unidentified Stove

Discussion in 'Mystery Stoves' started by pineapplerose, Mar 22, 2013.

1. pineapplerose

pineapplerose Subscriber

Look what followed me home yesterday.
    I had been prowling the local paper and answered an ad for a suit case Coleman dual fuel double burner stove.
    While on my way to collect it I needed to stop a set of traffic lights, right by a new-to-me-junk shop.
    This was sitting up on the shelf along with a Desca metho stove. :clap:
    It was hard to explain when I got home that I had gone out for one stove and arrived home with three. :roll:

The only markings on the stove is Made in Sweden stamped on the burner. The spirit cup is Companion, (looks good after a dip in the dishwasher descaler solution) it was heavily encrusted with soot where some one had attempted to get the stove going.
    The whole burner was pretty sooty too.
    The pump leather has plumped up nicely after a soak in oil, I have pressure in the tank, looks like the cap and pump washers could do with a change along with the burner washer, that looks like a home make lead job, quite out of shape.

Before I dismantled the stove the burner was sitting proud of the pot supports, now it is sitting under the rim of the top plate.
    I have a feeling that this may be the wrong burner as it seems too tall.
    Would you say it is missing a silent burner cap?

There are little fins around the flame area, suggesting that it is a Primus burner.

It is quaint and will join the band of happy campers that have got into my shed and seem to be multiplying :-k

The Desca needs a fix around the tank opening, neat little soldering job there, the tank is also crusty with rust. I would like to preserve the price sticker of 9.70kr. Maybe I can lift it off and stick it back when I have attended to the dirt dust.
    When I have the Desca ready I will do a show and tell.

Any suggestion to the maker, age or era gratefully accepted.

cheers
    Sooty B Fingers

1363932002-front_squew.jpg
    1363932027-back_view.jpg 1363932051-Burner_view_top.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Nice one!
    And It does need an outer cap.
    Can't help with the ID though, new to me.

3. Derek R.

Has a 1950's look to the design. On the face of it - and without any knowledge of same - that burner doesn't look very well supported which makes me wonder if it is a compromise of sorts.

4. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

Almost all my kerosene (paraffin) stoves have the top of the burner about 5/8" from the bottom of the pot. If the burner on this one is closer than that, you might try pressing down on the burner, bending the tube it's attatched to a wee bit, and lowering it just a metric tad.

I have two cast alumin(i)um Sea Swing stoves in which the burners are too close to the pot and do not burn cleanly at all. One is a roarer and one a silent. I've thought to put spacers between the fastenings holding the stoves to the frame to increase distance from burner to pot.

However, inertia compounded by bone idleness and a bad back have conspired to get me no further than a couple of fuzzy line drawings complete with near illegible dimensions and notes.

Gerry

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Not seen anything like it before. I notice that the pot supports are angled down towards the burner, so any large pots would sit on the highest point, which would put the pot base at about the right distance.

I agree with Derek, that the burner doesn't look quite right just sitting on the end of that pipe with no other support. I would think that the arrangement would vibrate quite a bit in transit which might weaken the coupling at the base of the burner eventually causing a leak.

Looks like a stove designed for domestic use.

Terry

6. Sparky

Piney, and so it begins. Stovepox! No hope, lass! :shock:

7. Vintagetwinshock

Vintagetwinshock Subscriber

G'day sootyfingers
    Looking at the photos of your stove, you've got yourself a nice buy, although some galah has put the silent burner inner cap on upside down, you shouldn't have any trouble locating another brass silent burner cap (Yours is missing). :) :thumbup:
    Looking through this sites vintage catalogue section shows similar stoves to yours, I would imagine that peoples houses weren't that well equipped in those days, & would be a common item used in remote communities (Bush), you,d certainly have no trouble cooking loads of beans on that (once fixed) washed down with tea & Arnotts tim tams (Kids love em). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope you've fixed your companion OK, certainly looks like the stove bug's bitten you just like the redback in the dunny, god help you if something like a chip fuelled bath heater joins your collection. :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Best wishes from the old country=Johnno.

------------------------
    if in doubt, brew up.

8. pineapplerose

pineapplerose Subscriber

That burner is a problem, I will see if I can get a smaller shorter one, I am waiting to hear back from a local who has one on Ebay. Next week I will try our local shop called Maxbuilt, they are very good with all things to do with non electric fuel stoves and lighting. The tube that supports the burner is heavy duty copper so giving it a metric tweek is probably not on. I still think it has had a change of burner, it came off too easily.

I had a real laugh about the chip water heater.
    Nearly forty years ago when we bought our first house the bathroom had a gas water heater. To light it you threw a burning match on a hole, wait for the boomf before you had hot water.
    The farm where I grew up had a chip heater in the men's bathroom and a water jacket on a slow combustion stove for heating water for the rest of the house. I have been around hot burning things all my life from learning to light a Tilly lamp at 5 years old to building and firing a wood glass furnace and pottery kiln during my University days.
    I think I have almost everything to do with camp cooking tucked away in the shed.

I couldn't resist having a play with the Desca, managed to get it cooking, pictures on Saturday.

Yes I did get the Companion working once I changed fuels and got it out of the wind, I am now cleaning up the brass.

Off to try and get my hands clean, I am showing a group how to knit socks in the morning.
    cheers to all
    Sooty B Fingers

9. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Pineapplerose,

like Vintagetwinshock said, your inner cap is upside down (I often see this happen to online offerings :roll: ) and outer caps are still a-plenty. Not to easy to see in the photo's, but (as far as I can see) I don't think you can lower that burner much without the lower flamelettes sending the heat UNDER the top plate of your stove, creating a rather unwanted, even dangerous situation. I'd like to advise you to wait with any modification to the hight of the burner until it is complete and working. This way you'll be able to determine IF and HOW MUCH you can lower its position.
    Can't help either with identifying your stove, but it sure looks nice! Somehow it doesn't "look" Swedish to me, maybe Aussie mfg? :-k

Best regards,

Wim

10. Vintagetwinshock

Vintagetwinshock Subscriber

G'day sootyfingers,
    Your teaching a group to knit socks is carrying on a tradition when the womenfolk knitted socks, junpers, wooly hats, gloves &c plus baked 'Anzac' biscuits for the troops during the first world war, a whole generation of young men were drawn into the conflict, many of them volunteering so as to assist the mother country & preserve freedom, for the menfolk, many of who'm were away from home for the first time, receiving these parcels uplifted their spirits, cementing their ties to home & proved that the country was behind them. :)

During my years in the country, we had a gas bath heater just as you've described, I got my career start into motorcycle engineering there, a career which has lasted 40 years. I've always been a person who loves the outdoors, since I joined the scouts 50 years ago. :)

Looking at your stove, that pipe does seem a bit of a Heath Robinson affair, I would have thought it would have had something more substantial like the British army # 2 or # 12 stoves?,underneath the burner is a brass rising tube which looks as though it's come off a Primus/Optimus #1 or # 5, which is very similar to the companion, of course the ideal scenario would be if you could get a look at another one, hopefully someone will post a photo. :lol: :) :thumbup:

Best wishes from the old country=Johnno.

PS, Thank god I graduated from the Melbourne institute of Australian elocution. :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

-----------------------
    If in doubt, brew up.

11. brassnipplekey

Going of the speckles .
    Have a look at Aladdin .
    I've an Aladdin twin range in same white on black speckled enamel.

nice stove .

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  12. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Yep - I saw the finish & thought Aladdin too.

13. Jason Kelly Australia

Hi, I have found a stove like your blue speckled one. No brand name. did you happen to find out what the brand is or history?

Regards, Jason Kelly (Brisbane, Australia)
    jkelly@nhp.com.au

14. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Jason

Any chance of a photo of your stove?

Are there any manufacture markings at all?

Tony

@Jason Kelly

15. Jason Kelly Australia

06A1680C-DAF0-41D4-9EB2-5B3DABE05AE7.jpeg

Attached Files:

16. cmb56

cmb56 Sweden Subscriber

Is it only me or do not the burner look home made?

Michael

17. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @cmb56 . As you say it looks home made.
    It looks like it has been machined from the solid and it is not clear how vaporisation of the fuel is achieved.... vaporisation tubes or a cone-type burner.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

18. Jason Kelly Australia

The burner is cast brass. I ground back to smooth the brass. Too much detail to be homemade. I have seen this burner elsewhere just can’t recall where.

19. Jason Kelly Australia

Looking at the burner I will say there is a lot of brass. Heat would be channeled down the 3 legs to the centre cylinder. This would be the vaporising chamber. The pre heat cup is quiet large, I guess to get heat into the supporting legs.
    I just want to know who manufactured the overall stove. I’ve googled 1000’s of images and only come across one on this forum.

20. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Jason

I’ve not ever seen that kind of burner.

You've got some interesting lamps and lanterns on your bench as well.

Tony