Borde gasoline burner

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Charlie, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Charlie

[​IMG]

Managed a find a new (to me) stove today so Im quite happy.
    It has a receipt dated 22/4/53
    And 2 sets of paperwork & box.
    I have not looked at it in detail or researched it yet so know absolutely know nothing about it. (Except it looks cool)

If you want to enlighten me feel free. :D

[​IMG]

2. Charlie

Been reading a few posts about the Borde here are the stamped markings. I notice mine seems to have the coil wound different to others Ive seen images of.
    [​IMG]

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I just got one a few weeks ago, did not realize there are a couple different sizes too. It does get hot in a hurry (tank).
    Duane

4. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

There was one on Gumtree today, in it's box, for £10. Missed it by minutes. :( I'm off for a lay down in a darkened room.

Terry

5. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

Nice score Charlie! :thumbup: I believe yours is the last version that used the narrower tubing for the main tank. There's only one like yours in the gallery. The version that came next is the most common version which is basically a fatter version of yours.

I've never seen the blue and white instructions before. Any way you could post a close up?

Thanks! Jerry

6. Charlie

Trojandog,
    Wasnt this one, I found this in a local shop. I very nearly left it there too. Starting to gather by reading posts they are quite sort after.

7. Metropolitantrout

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/borde-trio.30603/
    Charlie,
    The one I was thinking of isn't in the gallery so you should definitely post yours as it is unique. The above link will give you some idea of how these stoves evolved. I believe yours would fit in between the middle stove and the top version (in the 2nd photo).

Cheers, Jerry

8. Charlie

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  9. Charlie

Thought it be good to show the original receipt that was in the box too.[​IMG]

10. janders

janders Subscriber

11. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Nice. Bought originally in 1953! Wow.

sam

12. Charlie

Which gallery was you meaning I post images of this stove/burner. Reference Gallery? If so, (dumb question alert, I have not checked) is this listed as origin of stove manufacturer?
    Sorry being new here I need pointing in the right direction.

13. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Post your photos here. Reference Gallery, Switzerland, Borde.

Ben

14. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Stove Reference Gallery

Manufacturer: Borde

Regards,
    Kerophile.

15. Charlie

Thanks guys,
    Got to go out will post when I get home in a while.

16. Metropolitantrout

Thanks for posting the instructions. The stove drawn in them is the model prior to the one you have. The engineers must have drove the sales and marketing reps crazy with all the tweaking :lol:

17. Radler

Interesting document, the delivery note, dated 22nd of April 1953:

"1 Borde burner No. 16, small model, for demonstrations".

The receiver of the stove got this stove from Borde not as a user or ordinary buyer, but had to demonstrate it to some public. The question is: to whom? Is the receiver a selling agent or somebody who is looking for a manufacturer in Birmingham?

Radler

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  18. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Charlie, It "looks cool", you decided to pick it up AND share it with us and we all
    THANK YOU
    for doing so. It's one of the finest examples. Both of your posts are great to see, thank you for contributing excellent content in the SRG
    http://www.classiccampstoves.com/threads/borde-no16.30778/

AND posting here in a category that welcomes discussion of Bombes and your no.16.
    The Borde puzzle is becoming clearer one piece at a time and your No.16 being unique and a complete and dated example with all paperwork is a "key" puzzle piece. Thx again.

Re further details of the Borde puzzle: I'll defer to and note fairly recent Chef comments re differences. It is well put, *link below.

My comments: Illustrations of stoves/parts are OFTEN not completely accurate but in this case your instructions DO show your No.16 with your coil inline w/tank (CCS's only example... and dated!). AND Borde groups the 16 w/their No.33.
    IF your No.16 were side by side w/No.33, also ca 1953, what might the differences be, I wonder.
    SRG has examples of the similar (earlier?) low profile No.33s, actually the No.36 = a pair of 33s, **link below.

The 1953 No.16 / 33 are low profile burners to easily fit Borde's "V" and low profile cooker such as No.36 and also MANY other setups as well. The 16/33 tank lids can vary but they're used in cookers and both may accept the rare reserve tank (to double the capacity of the Bombe)?

Nmp posted a short Borde, not sure of vintage or model of his stove BUT in his "INSTRUCTIONS": the 16 / 33 illustration is NOT low profile. BTW that "illustration" also shows us yet another unique burner, w/coil inline w/tank. *** link.

I'm thankful for Chef's input and credit him, Jerry and others who began touching on many more Borde specifics and will defer to him and others (it's a challenging topic).
    thx again omc
    tag @Chef BC

Chef * http://www.classiccampstoves.com/threads/a-borde-bomb-in-australia.29989/
    No.36 ** http://www.classiccampstoves.com/threads/borde-set-no-36-twins.14282/
    Nmp *** http://www.classiccampstoves.com/threads/short-borde.27733/

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015