Borde Patent Feldflaschen-Kocher

Discussion in 'Borde' started by Doug Eisemann, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Doug Eisemann

Doug Eisemann Subscriber

Not sure if this belongs here, so feel free to move this, or punish me severely for misposting.
    Here is something I just came upon that illustrates one of the items in the Borde Patent literature in the flesh (or metal) so to speak.
    This is the first Borde Feldflaschen-Kocher that I have seen in actuality, designed for use with the standard Swiss Army canteen and cup.
    According to the patent documents, this device was designed to be used only with "Hartspiritustabletten" or the equivalent of META or other solid fuel tablets.
    2 kinds of Swiss Army canteens are illustrated, the brown enameled unit being a much earlier style, but essentially the same in function. Indeed, this Borde cooker differs slightly from the patent in that it includes a metal bracket/handle used to support the early style of canteen cup that does not have the folding wire handles. The bracket folds neatly under the cooker when not in use, and the canteen and cup nestle inside, secured by the side screw.
    Hope this sheds some light on the various cooking devices developed by Herr Borde, as I know there has been some lively discussion on the subject in the past. I'll add some better photos once I get my camera working again!

1244077574-571723280_2_Big.jpg 1244077599-571723280_Big.jpg 1244077616-571723280_4_Big.jpg 1244077838-1196252870-borde_326906_1958.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  3. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

I didn't realize Borde made anything other than the bomb. One more item on the list. I do have one of the sigg canteens shown in the photo.

4. Doug Eisemann

Doug Eisemann Subscriber

Interesting point about the Sigg military canteen. If you go to the Sigg website, and click on "history" you will notice a little picture slideshow that actually shows a few photos of production of the canteen for the Swiss Army, I assume back in the 50's or 60's. In fact, I would not be surprised if Sigg was the manufacturer of the Borde Feldflaschen-Kocher as well, rather than Mr. Borde himself. It's hard to say what Borde patents actually made it into production.

5. Doug Eisemann

Doug Eisemann Subscriber

Here are some better photos of the Borde Feldflaschen-Kocher. As you can see, it is quite a compact unit which nests neatly together with the Swiss-Army issue canteen.
    This particular model has an addition to allow for the use of a canteen-cup without the folding handles as shown in the patent diagrams. This consists of a simple aluminum handle with keyhole slot that engages the neatly machined brass nubbin on the cup. This handle perches on the extended transport lockdown screw as shown. Functional, but sort of a tippy arrangement. Needless to say, the fold-out handles were probably a welcome improvement.
    No markings to indicate actual company of manufacture on the cooker itself, although the cup and canteen were made by BAG Turgi, who is still a major metal fabricator in Switzerland.

1245797057-BordeCoffee_006_opt.jpg 1245797082-BordeCoffee_007_opt.jpg 1245797114-BordeCoffee_008_opt.jpg

Cheers,
    Doug

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  6. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello,
    Very nice item. I too like Alan didn't know such an item existed. I too have the one on the right.

Way cool ! And I know have one on my list !!

Chuck

7. Beni

I recently found one of these as well.
    Had some solid fuel tablets at home, so I decided to make a cup of tea.
    Hope the taste of the tea gets better with use. This first cup was something like Rooibos "Vanilla & Army surplus store". :?

IMG_20161201_2158274.jpg IMG_20161201_2208360.jpg