Borde/sigg combo?

Discussion in 'Borde' started by Chef BC, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Chef BC

I had a visit by the stove fairy today, sometimes I never know what she will drop on my front door step!
    I would like to hear any information, or background on this combination. The Borde stove perhaps could function on its own but the rest of this Sigg look alike was included. The idea is choice but which seems to be either a lost concept for gear packaging that never really took hold or it is the final incarnation of a failed home bench project using a Sigg clone? I see no indication of the manufacturer or Sigg stamped anywhere on these cook pots and they seem to be a lighter gauge than the authentic Sigg kit I possessed two weeks earlier. The kit aside from the Borde burner is this frying skillet two pots which the smaller nests inside the first, and the bottom and second level pot/stove supports. My apologies for only the single photo but my cell phone camera had a reaction to the solar flares. 8-[
    None the less ths seems to be a fun kit but I have my questions about it, any help is appreciated. Until I get better photos this will have to do.

1331270495-Lightbox_1331253996500_1_opt.jpg

2. hikin_jim

Interesting, Harold, but careful not to melt the pans!

HJ

3. Sparky

Harold, I saw that kit on eBay and was intrigued but not enough to pay that kind of money. Glad it went to a good home. The seller did advertise it as a Sigg set, didn't they? Might be room for some rebate thru Paypal? :-k Nice bomb, though.

4. Hazet

perhaps this post and thread may help a little.

{Admin: Links broken on move to CCSv4}

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2016
  5. Chef BC

Jon, thank you that is precisely what I was looking for and curious about. The kit seems fun and at least as useful as any similar set, perhaps does not matter what brand cookset you place on top of it. As for being expensive :? :oops: yeah i took it in the shorts but this may be the last Borde I ever purchase. My photos are in work but the Borde fires up perfectly. Guess I'll be leaving posi feedback for the seller, he came through in all respects otherwise.

6. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

I've got the same setup and I believe mine is stamped Sigg (could be wrong there). The catalog scan is from a Gerry catalog in the early 1960's, your setup is at the bottom.

1331305869-sigg-borde_opt.jpg

It is VERY EASY to melt out the windscreen on this set. I melted a bit of mine by having the stove running too hot and a not exactly in the center of the windscreen. Use this with caution. The stove is actually a bit overpowering for the size of the cookset.

I have a second set which is missing the top windscreen, best guess is it melted away.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, ChefBC,

You have a very nice, and fairly rare, Borde/Sigg setup, Sir, and even though you had to pay a bit for it, I think your pride of ownership will more than make up for the price!! Well done!! :clap: :clap: :thumbup: 8) :D Like you, I have paid "high cotton" for a few of my very rare and hard to find stoves, and I've only regretted it once. In truth, even then it was OK after I got over the hurt in my wallet!! :shock: :-({|= :lol: :lol:

Alan's warning about melting the aluminum is very warranted here, and you would be wise to pay close attention to what he wrote!! I melted a good-sized hole in a Sigg pot once, just careless, so it's easier to do than you might suspect. Still, you did very well, Sir, and my hat is off to you!! Thanks for sharing your new find with us, and enjoy having it in your Stove Stable! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. Hazet

Here is a picture from a recent ebay auction. it shows a rectangular Borde support base and the cook set. Can't really make out the text, sorry.

1331322126-__KGrHqZ__o_E8VjvRVdbBPPTH_HE_Q__60_12.JPG

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Harold,
    Did you take a ferry to pick up this beautiful setup? Or did it ship?
    Sequim would have been worth the trip, you think?

Ken

10. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

Amazing! 50 years ago it cost $15 - now it runs at $400!

11. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

well,talk about great minds in the same track :shock:
    1331335851-propane_tank-b_day-snowshoe__21___Small_.JPG

i just took this shot a minute ago of my Borde-71 kit combo.i had both out on my desk looking them over as part of the work-up for the canoe adventure this Spring.i'll have the 71 stove along of course but the Borde's windscreen is heavy soooo..how about??..well with the lid under the Borde to bring it up level it looks like it will work just fine. :thumbup:

12. Chef BC

I had visited Sequim last August, was almost convinced it would be a nice place to live but I got "that close to the ocean feeling" out of my system when I lived in Gleneden Beach, OR. =; The ferrys have their place here but are no pleasure trip, also one only has to take Hwy 16 to Silverdale, merge onto Hwy 3 and don't blink past Sequim!
    Dave is that a slot loading iMac G3 back there? ;) I think the Borde/71 windscreen would be a keen idea, you just have to figure out how to keep it from rolling on to its side. :-k

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, Dave,

Though your idea of using the 71's windscreen seems neat, I would worry, big time, about melting the top part, which looks rather thin, to me. You will see that ChefBC's kit does not have any circular divider, like Sigg kits have for the 123, etc., and I believe it is because the Borde and other stoves will melt that circle of aluminum! Could be wrong, but if it were me, I'd not take the chance, as those 71 kits are fairly rare, at least out here! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

14. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

I would NOT use the borde in the primus windscreen, it will melt it in no time flat. The borde has an amazing amount of power for its size.

15. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

Just checked my set. Sigg is stamped into the frypan/lid on the sidewall of the frypan.

16. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

well the Borde/71 kit idea seem great at 1 AM when i was looking thru my favorite sites and saw the Borde/Sigg combo.i'll just have to make my own light weight screen based on the patterns i have seen on CCS
    Chef..yes that is a Mac G3.a give-away complete with a hockey puck style mouse.the OS is old so trying to do much on the web using the phone hook up in my den is sort of worthless.the old IBM Thinkpad i use is slow but works much better using Firefox.
    i use the G3 to view canoe trip photos stored on USB's and i play CD's on it.the one in the photo is from the Coda shop in Edinburgh.my daughter picked it up for me when she was there last summer.
    1331408439-old_mac__4___Small_.JPG

17. theyellowdog

I did not realiise that the sigg set came in two sizes.

I got this small set with my little borde. It did not come with pots, will find some one day.

I found the larger set a couple of days ago, it is beat up but still good.

The small set fits inside the large set, although it may not if it had a lid.

The only markings that say sigg are on the lid of the large set. It also has 1 1/2 on it. I guess that my be an indicator of size.

1369972232-photo_1-3.JPG 1369972242-photo_2-3.JPG 1369972534-photo_3-2.JPG 1369972732-photo_4-1.JPG

18. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

Theyellowdog, can you send me measurements of the two sets, I'd like to compare them to mine. I do not know which size I have at home.