Brand New Preway No. 9!

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Joe P, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Joe P United States

Picked this beauty up today for $15. Had the idea of fixing it up, but when I arrived to buy it, it was in pristine condition, save for a thin layer of dust on it. Looks to have never been used. The pump's leather was even in workable shape!

20190709_215211.jpg 20190709_215205.jpg 20190709_215913.jpg 20190709_215937.jpg 20190709_215949.jpg 20190709_215933.jpg 20190709_215924.jpg

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Whoa....!

3. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber SotM Winner

Wow, nice score. The only problem is you won't be able to fire it up without Fu**ing it up. Still for $15 I think you got the steal of the year. Dang that's pretty!

Ben

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  4. Joe P United States

I know! I want to use it so badly, but I don't want to harm its condition. What a quandary lol

5. Duck

Duck United States Subscriber

That’s why I don’t buy unfired. To tempting for me to fire it up. Nice stove, I’ve been looking for the 3 burner version since I screwed up and lost the OfferUp post for one. Been kicking myself ever since. Now I favorite any stove I might be interested in.

6. Lennart F Sweden

That's why you need to buy a used one too when finding an unused stove or lamp.

7. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Good grief, you'll really need to find a proper user.

That certainly deserves some show off shelf space.

8. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I am a stove user and even I might not fire that one! I restored one just like it, although a green color. I do use it from time to time.

9. Haggis

Very nice,,, wowzer!

10. itchy

Beautiful stove.

I wonder, is it possible someone did a very nice job restoring it prior to you finding it?
    I know next to nothing about these stoves but it appears to me some of what may have been bare metal parts and hardware have been painted.
    If so, the good news would be that you could fire it up guilt free.

11. Joe P United States

I don't plan on using it :) I have a No. 4 that I need to restore, and that will be my user lol

It has to be all original and unfired. The lady I bought it from found it in the attic of her mother's house after she passed away. The lady had to be at least 65, so her mother was likely 90+. Neither of her parents, as she put it, were the camping sort, with no need for a stove of this kind, and she and her siblings didn't know where it came from. The kicker is that her parents built the house!

12. Lennart F Sweden

I guess they bought the stove just in case there could be a need sometime - NIB and only testfired once stoves keep popping up as people raised during the 1940's leave their houses, they were taught to prepare for crisis and shortage.

13. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

Your PW has been repainted, very nicely, by some previous owner. PW stoves of that era were black or a green/khaki shade that often leads to them being mis-identified as a military stove. Given that it is nowhere near being unfired, light it up.

14. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Welcome Joe P,
    Nice stove. Thanks for posting it, ye old stove is generating some healthy interest. I'm thankful too for member comments thus far.

Credit goes to @toonsgt back in 2010 he posted his PW No.9 --> link, to my eye his appears to be original.
    I think back in 2010 and maybe true today:
    We don't know a lot about PW stoves certainly including your fairly rare No.9.

From link: "... someone was putting together a P/W list …" <-- that would be a nice post to link into this discussion if anyone is familiar with a list of PW models.
    --------------------

Joe,
    Again there's a lot about PW models that we don't yet know (you may help w/that) but , one thing, I'm pretty sure your 9 predates PW's use of their term "Preway" which is good news for you, yes.

Here's quote re 8 and your 9, by me:
    "Credit Trevor in past discussions, your tank being on the right indicative of PW c1925 - pre '31 iirc."

A benefit you have (that we all have today) is as time passes more examples post, each example is an opportunity to learn more.
    That ^^^^ and more and more related catalogs, brochures & advertisements are scanned onto the web every day.
    Ads tend to be dated, which could also begin to determine production run (year ranges) for early PW models. Much to look forward to!

It will be nice when an ad for your No. 9 emerges, then we can compare 9 ad with the similar 8 ad... is the only difference the 9 has cast iron grate, I wonder?
    Hmmm :-k > we have dims from 1929 No.8 ad... when closed: 16 3/4 x 10 x 5 3/8" ,
    > you have the 9,
    :oops: I guess no need to wait for no. 9 ad :oops: , are those your dims as well?
    thx omc

PS tags @Joe P @shagratork
    / adding text from image can improve searchability .
    AUTO - COOK - KIT
    Model No.9
    Prentiss - Wabers Products Co.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  15. OMC

OMC Subscriber

My bad. The 9 is wider than the 8. Re dims, when closed:
    the 8 is 16 3/4 x 10 x 5 3/8"
    the 9 is 20 1/2 x 11 x 5"

FYI "The Terrance Marsh Lantern Gallery" website underwent major changes in 2018 .

For this thread, checking his site slipped my mind, it has been a "go to" site when researching camp stoves (yes "Lantern" site is loaded w/stove details as well). I did a google search but forgot about Marsh site in this instance, oops.

As you navigate his site you can find a nice No.9 image, credit goes to Terry Marsh site, the comment is this:
    " The burner on this Auto-Kook-Kit No. 9 is much the same as
    on Model 4 above for preheating and operating the second burner
    but the burner assembly is longer and the stove has a cast iron grate.
    This case on this stove, in Mike Morgan’s collection,
    is 20 1/2″ x 11″ x 5″; 4″ longer & 2″ wider than Model 4 above.
    The stove was likely manufactured in the late 1920’s (Pagan)
    . "

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  16. Joe P United States

I'll be sure to measure. It definitely does pre-date the term Preway, but I figured that's how most people know then today. That, and it's easier to type :)

I'm not sure that this has been repainted. Again, given the provenance, if it was repainted, it would have likely been well over 50 years ago. This thing was covered in dust from being stored in a garage attic for, well, no one knows how long. There are scratches on it, but no other paint color to be seen underneath the topcoat.

As ads are very hard to come by for this stove, I'm not sure if it was offered in this color by the manufacturer.

Regardless, it 100% hasn't been lit in well over 50 years, if at all. I think it'll just occupy a space on my shelf for display :)