Brass Primus No. 109 - Need Help

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Curt A, Mar 13, 2019 at 7:09 PM.

1. Curt A United States

I gave this stove and several others away when I moved in 2015. The guy I gave them to still had this Primus stove and wasn't attached, so I got it back. It looks pretty rough and I'm not sure what is missing to get it back in shape. It appears that there is supposed to be a winged screw for pressure control that is missing... what size do I need and where might I find one? Does this burn kerosene or Coleman fuel? I have Googled Primus No. 109 without any luck, except to find a more modern stove listed as a 109. I figured that this is the place to discover more about this stove and possibly obtain a copy of an instruction manual. Any help is appreciated...

2. Nicola Francesco Elia

Nicola Francesco Elia Subscriber

Hi Curt,

the 109 is a really interesting model and it should use the 4049 burner, not sure if the size of the burner is the same of the Primus 110 that uses the 4047. Basically the 109 should be a 110 with fixed legs/pot stands.

It burns kerosene, not coleman fuel, so be aware.

Could you please some photos of the stove, I'd really love to see it.

Cheers,

Nicola

3. Curt A United States

Thanks for the info... I tried to post pics, but apparently the forum doesn't accept .png picture files. I need to convert them to .jpg and post them when I can...

4. Nicola Francesco Elia

Anyway, you can check the gallery for Primus models 107 and 110. Your 109 is basically a bigger 107 or the same size of a 110 but with standard fixed pot stands. The burner is different if compared to the classic silent ones and it includes a cleaning system that is operated by the wheel that you should have at the base of the burner riser tube.

Parts for these stoves are hard to find, but if you only miss the air release key that is a very common part that you can take from any other primus stove.

Nicola

5. Nicola Francesco Elia

Hi, you can use an online tool to convert pictures from png to jpeg: Convert PNG to JPG

6. Curt A United States

I'm familiar with file format conversions, just needed to take the time...
    109.jpg
    Pics of my 109...

7. Curt A United States

8. Curt A United States

9. Curt A United States

10. Curt A United States

11. Curt A United States

12. Curt A United States

13. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

@Curt A

The missing winged screw. On ebay type in 'Primus air screw' and you will get a number of choices.
    The air screw on the 109 was the same as the much more common No.1 and No.5
    Basically Primus used the same part on many stoves.

14. Nicola Francesco Elia

Hi Curt,

well, it is as I described it, unfortunately the stove is missing its original burner and clearly the cleaning system has been removed (the internal rack that holds the cleaning needle cannot work inside a traditional burner). The rotating pinion that moves the rack up and down is still there to make the seal, but the knob is missing.

The stove now is equipped with a roarer burner, but erroneously someone put on it what looks like the internal cap of the original silent burner that should be saved (it’s a scarce part) and replaced with a flame ring for a roarer burner.

The air release screw is the only part that can be easily obtained.

Please take care of this stove because it’s rarely seen, restoring it to its original state is a long run project but would be great.

The world doesn’t need another working stove with just a roarer burner, but a saved example of a Primus 109 as it is supposed to be

Nicola

15. Curt A United States

Thanks Trevor and Nicola for the information.

Nicola, what does the original burner look like? Is there a model number or reference number to find an original.

I surmised that something wasn't quite right with the current burner, but never saw a picture of a completely original 109 to compare... I'm in no hurry, so looking for the correct burner may take some time, but is not a deterrent if I know what I'm looking for... I would love to restore it to original. The only deterrent may be the time left in my life to complete it...

Any pics of an original burner or info on where one might be obtained would be appreciated. Is there a copy of an original manual that might show it?

Curt

16. Curt A United States

Also, any idea of the manufacturing year of this stove?

17. Nicola Francesco Elia

Hi Curt, I have sent an image privately. In any case use a Primus 107 as visual reference.

For the date, on the bottom plate you will find a letter within a circle. The letter is the year of manufacturing, just check the Primus dating chart in the gallery.

Nicola

18. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

19. Curt A United States

Thank you guys for the information. I looked on the bottom of the tank and in a circle is stamped Z and under it 29, so from the dating chart I assume it was made in 1935.

What is the difference between a 4047 and a 4049 burner?

20. Nicola Francesco Elia

Hi Curt, you’re welcome. I have never seen a 4049 in real life so the only difference if compared to the 4047 could be the size, but I doubt it, considering that the 4047 is used on the 110 that is the same tank size of the 109. So probably the burner are the same, what changes could be only the part number.

If you measure the diameter of the inner cap I can see if is the same of the 4047 or bigger

Nicola