British Army No1 Cooker

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Surveyor, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Surveyor

I have the book but the fun way sounds interesting.

Still looking for a picture of the complete label in the lid or at least the top part above the section of operating instructions

2. Ian

Ian Subscriber

When you come to use it, you can disconnect the air hose at the tank and fit a car tyre inflator to the schrader valve there. Saves a lot of effort, particularly if there's not much fuel in the tank.

3. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

That would be me :lol:
    I'm still looking for equipment but have made some headway.

Alec.

4. Surveyor

Thought who ever it was might be on here

Richard

5. Surveyor

As the weather is fine but cool decided to see what needs done, all valves and hinge for the pump need eased.
    Tried to get pressure in the tank bur the adaptor does not stay on the tank, the tank section has a thread, the part that fits to it seems to have a part to tighten but nothing seems to hold it in place.

Any suggestions.

Attached Files:

6. Surveyor

A bit of an update, still looking at the kit, have at last mad some progress work and other commitments, I have stripped the cover, now its ready to go first to the panel beater to sort the handles and then Sand Blaster.

I have now stripped out all the loose fittings and bagged along with a picture where they were. Taking one bag with the chain to a hardware store to get a metre of the chain for repairs and spare.

Will look at the cooker its self tomorrow, my daughter is going to help make a stencil of the tank lettering. IMG_20210122_141458.jpg

7. Surveyor

Looking at the tank, I should remember the name of the tool to take the pressure gauge out, what i can recall its a bit like pliers but has 2 prongs to go in the holes. A reminder would be great. IMG_20210122_141031.jpg

8. mike_p

circlip pliers ?
    Mike

9. Surveyor

Mike

That was the name in the back of my mind but couldn't remember the name, I know there are 2 versions and think my dad has both, next call him

10. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Pin wrench or pin c-spanner are other terms.
    Two bits of flat bar connected like scissors, with bolts at one end to engage in holes.

Useful for flanges, pulleys, all manner of devices, I have three sizes made for various tasks from steering box nuts to holding flywheels.

Alec.

11. Surveyor

Alec
    Thanks any name to remind me

12. Surveyor

I have stripped down the cover ready for for fixing the handle and sand blasting, I have decided only to do the base frame and cover, the tank and the pump have minor rust on them so think will leave as is.

A couple of the chains have broken, been to the hardware store they have some chain slightly smaller but trying to source more accurate chain.

Reading on line I understand that its the internal measurements needed, its 18mm long 10mm wide and about 3 mm diameter.

Does any one have a source please IMG_20210206_135804.jpg IMG_20210206_135834.jpg

13. Surveyor

Alec

The pressure valve spanner.

Went to the box where the parts are when dismantling, found the bag of original kit and spanners, yup you've guessed it the original spanner to get the pressure valve off

14. Surveyor

Next phase, took a good look before going further, the pump needs new washers etc. decided the cover and base are the only things I will get clean and repainted, the remainder looks in good condition.

Loosened the nut on the bas and looks like a load of sludge inside, stopped and put back in place to have a think about how to clean out the tank.

Took the metal instruction plate off was fixed with copper rivets.

Going to have another look at the instruction book tonight with a view to getting off base plate and list which valve is which, IMG_20210220_134140.jpg IMG_20210220_134137.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Surveyor

The cover is away to get the handles fixed.
    I have dismantled to get fixed, the burners are brushed with a wire brush and now painted.
    It was interesting these were black gloss and the rest was matt either black or green.
    IMG_20210228_135531.jpg IMG_20210228_160324.jpg IMG_20210228_160442.jpg

16. frg7700

frg7700 Subscriber

Delighted to see another wheelie bin workbench! Ours is always the colour of my latest project.

17. Surveyor

Yes they are a nice height to work with, my daughter says why not us black paint on a black bin,

18. Surveyor

I have been speaking to my local Kwik Fit garage when the car was in for a brake repair and they suggested using petrol to rinse out then spray in carb/fuel cleaner but make sure the cleaner doesn't go on paint.
    Put about 2 litres of petrol in gave a good swirl, undid the drain plug and its not sludge but rust.
    Gave it a poke with a stick and nothing moved but petrol is for want of a better description oozing out, stopping at this point to see if the petrol loosen the rust.
    I recall watching, 'Find it fix it flog it' one way to clean rust out of the inside of a petrol tank is to use gravel and then tip it out, has anyone else tried that? IMG_20210307_131438.jpg

19. richmay

richmay SotM Winner Subscriber

Try BB's or small screws, steel is better as they can be fished out with a magnet if they dont all come out of the tank. IMHO Much better than gravel,

Cheers

20. Surveyor

Good point, never took a thought about BBs, looking at the fuel filler I can't get anything out, and the drain hole is about 20mm so thinks screws may be out,