British no 12 jet

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Timothy Epp, Jan 9, 2021 at 6:49 PM.

1. Timothy Epp

Hi all. I picked up a well used British no 12 this fall as a Christmas present to myself, and companion to my much appreciated Heinze Geniol.

I washed out the tank, and burned a couple hours of Kerosene. I've also used it for a few outside cooking jobs like deep frying and soup stock boiling. At full throttle the flame is solid blue, very tall, and very loud! However, as I throttle down to a simmer, it turns yellow and leaves a carbon deposit on the pot.

I assume this is probably a worn jet because:

1. The flame was more blue (but not great) when I swapped in a used tip from my 111t, and
    20210107_213919.jpg

2. The flame was even more blue when I changed to Coleman fuel.
    20210103_171601.jpg

Can anyone tell me what tip is recommended? I need to order a few small things from Base Camp (and a seal kit from Fettlebox), so might as well include this. Thanks alot.

Tim

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021 at 8:45 PM
  3. Timothy Epp

Thanks @kerophile, that would be a #2509?

Tim

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Timothy Epp . I believe that the Optimus #2509 will fit the Military No.12 stove. You can ask Base Camp to confirm before ordering.

You showed us an image of your No.12 stove operating on Coleman fuel. I am sure that you are aware that this stove was not specified for gasoline/ Coleman fuel and if you chose to use this fuel that you are aware of the risks involved.

In particular you must ensure that the NRV (Non-Return Valve is in very good condition so that in operation you do not get a gasoline leak into the pump-tube and out past the pump cap. If you do, things can get exciting very quickly should this gasoline ignite!

Be Aware.
    Best Regards,
    Keophile.

5. frg7700

frg7700 Subscriber

Where can I get these jets?

6. Timothy Epp

@frg7700 I believe Base Camp or ebay has these. Between Brexit and super-covid however, not sure if post is leaving the UK these days?

@kerophile thanks for the caution, the fuel cap gaskets and NRV were soft. I have other white gas stoves, so was planning on burning only kerosene in the No 12. Just wanted to compare the flames.

Actually, I learned the importance of an NRV years ago when Optimus shipped my new Hiker+ without one! It's first use was on my back patio was eventful, and I learned to check such things.

Tim