British Primus 96

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Tacho D, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Tacho D

P1060108.JPG Hi Guys, I found myself with a small camping stove in a tin, very similar to a Primus, or Optimus 96 No name on the tank except "BRITISH MADE" The main difference to the Primus is the short legs, not foldable, but permanently down. Any ideas as to who made these? Burmos possibly? P1060109.JPG P1060109.JPG P1060110.JPG

2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

My guess would be RM MFG & Engineering Co Ltd. You stove looks similar to this example in the Reference Gallery.

Ben

3. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@Tacho D the British stove building timeline isn't as codified as other countries.

RM decals fell off as soon as they got near hot water.

The link posted gives you an idea of the problem. I had a similar find which I can't now give you a link to, which currently sits on the to do shelf.

Either way they are classic solidly built stoves.

If it's been polished I'm guessing there will be little if no evidence of the original decal.

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, or possibly an SH&S Thermidor half-pint stove:

SH&S Thermidor Wickless Stove

Compare the distinctive fixed feet of this stove with the fixed feet of your model.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

On second thought it might be a Cobra like this one. Same raised letters same feet.

1306001175-P1010132.gif

Ben

6. Tacho D

Bingo! The RM stove on your link looks convincing except the first picture, the legs on that are longer. The instruction sheet shows the short fixed legs similar to mine. Had another look at the tin, the size and shape look identical to the link, and what little paint is left matches that light sky blue. Saying that, the Cobra stove on Ben's post looks spot on too. Hmmm.:-k

7. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

8. Tacho D

I also have that 4 part foldable windscreen shown on the RM stove. The original cast flame spreader is missing, this being replaced by crude home made stainless plate ones. And so is the reserve tank cap, I am hoping to replace these items with those on E-Bay, but these will be for a Primus 96. They should match.