British Stove

Discussion in 'Mystery Stoves' started by Archivist, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Archivist

Archivist Archivist

Bryan Miller has this mystery stove he would like to identify. It came with 'Instructions for using British Made Paraffin Stoves'. It is 1¼ pint capacity & has a heavy quality steel top plate sized to fit the tin rather than the stove. The burner assembly is a one piece fitting incorporating the the riser tube. The spirit cup is on a tube which slides onto the bottom of the burner assembly. The tank lid doubles as the the air screw, the air escaping down a groove in the threads of the tank lid screw. The folding feet are similar to a Primus but are turned up at the ends. The storage box was brass plated.

1210404188-bryan_miller_01.jpg 1210404195-bryan_miller_02.jpg 1210404206-bryan_miller_03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Ross

You had me fooled there. I though someone else had found the same stove as me

Regards Bryan

3. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

I have one like it Bryan, although no tin.

I also have no idea who manufactured it.

4. Bom Bom Bom Bom

I can't positively identify this stove. However I would make the observation the the pressure release arrangement looks the same as that employed on Veritas stoves?

Whether this was exclusive to them I don't know, but Veritas are the only stoves in my collection that have this type of pressure release (with a non-regulated burner).

5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

My guess would be Monitor... 8-[

6. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

The problem is, if they were Monitor or Veritas, why do they not bear their name, like on their other models ?

7. David Shouksmith

Because they were manufactured for someone else? But that then begs the question, why wasn't that company's name on them? Maybe they were pre-production prototypes? Maybe...

Answers on a postcard, please, to...

I based my guess on the arrangement at the bottom of the burner looking uncannily like the one on the Monitor Regal C16 and the feeling that I've seen that 'Paraffin Only' inscription on another Monitor stove, somewhere. But I'd say one of the Birmingham bunch as an each-way bet...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. David Shouksmith

:-k Although on closer examination, I see that the 'arrangement' is threaded at the bottom only, so it's going to sit above the tank as a riser tube, rather than within it. Still could have the Monitor 'Auto-Seal' within it, though. Has yours, Keith, or is it just a plain riser..?

9. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

Apologies for the delay in getting back on this point David, I missed your post ! As yet I haven't tried to remove the burner, but suspect that it is the same as on Bryan's. Basically it is a standard taper burner, and the spirit cup just rests on the tank top, as shown in the picture of mine with the filthy burner :oops: . . .but nice new flame ring :)

1237306131-Unknown3_opt.jpg

I can't see any particular advantage in having it sliding up and down, but it does remove the need to seal the riser / burner junction where the spirit cup usually fits and where I find most stoves tend to leak.

Note also that there is no air screw, just a vertical groove in the filler cap collar which releases pressure when the filler cap is slackened.

I must get this one going !

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  10. brassnipplekey

The stamping 'Paraffin only ' looks familiar ..So coupling this with the 'distinctive' fuel fill cap could be clues to its origin .

Nick

11. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

I note that Bryan's filler cap is domed whereas mine is flat . . . :-k

12. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Keith

I found out why the spirit cup is removable when I took the stove out of the tin and assembled it.

I was on for several minutes trying to repack the stove in the tin but could not get the burner back in. The spirit cup or burner stopped it going in.

After a lot of frustration I suddenly realized that the reason for the sliding spirit cup was so that it could be removed for packing in the tin. Once I did that everything went in although it was a very tight fit.

I suspect that the tin came first and the rest of the stove was designed to fit into it

It is an odd concept but it accounts for the 1.25 pint tank, the odd sized top plate and the removable spirit cup arrangement.

It is going up for sale shortly and I am puzzled as to what title to give it.

UNUSUAL BRITISH MADE 1.25 PINT PARAFFIN STOVE BOXED is my current favourite

I have had it about 4 years and often wondered about the make. It is going to be ironic if I found out who made it after it is sold.

Regards Bryan