1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BRS-12

Discussion in 'China' started by Kristian123, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Kristian123

Kristian123 Norway Subscriber

Just got myself a Chinese BRS-12 for about 55$.
    It does not run well on kerosene but on petrol/gasoline it burns with a strong pure blue flame.

For the price of this stove I wouldn't expect so much quality, but it is not so bad. The jet is a bit off center and I had to fix the pressure release valve on the tank lid which was letting all the pressure out.

The pump cup is not made of leather, but it is formed as a leather pump cup which you can see on my pictures.

I am dedicating this stove to snow-melting since it boiled a liter of water in 02:38 minutes.
    The tank also holds 4,5DL which keeps the stove running on full throttle for about 3,5 hours.
    It is a roarer, so it makes about as much noise as a 111.

1363815642-P1020845_opt.jpg 1363815654-P1020846_opt.jpg 1363815662-P1020847_opt.jpg 1363815672-P1020857_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Linus

Nice stove. I bought the BRS-8a. I almost got the same stove as you. Your stove is a multi fuel stove right? Does it have two jets? One for low flash point fuel and one for high flash point fuel? I found that the 8a also does not like heavier fuel. Try adding a small amount of fuel injector cleaner to the kerosense. For 450 ml, you can probably add 20 ml of fuel injector cleaner to the tank and that will help. It will light up easier. Gasoline is not very safe. Make sure you can shut off the stove without having to vent the tank before you use gasoline.

4,5 Deciliters. I have not heard that measurement in a while. 450 ml for all those not familiar. 8)

I like your version because you can depressurize it quickly. I have yet to find a way to do that with a BRS-8a.

3. Viscara United States

I just try to give as little of my money to those chinese poor QC monkey's who keep making even more crappy products to the point they dont even work out of the box... I rather invest in a company that has pride in their work.

4. Kristian123

No, I dond have two jets and it burns wery porly on kerosene, this because it has problem prheating the kerosene. Gonna use gasoline since it works best on the stove, jet there was a problem with the tank cap which let a lot of the pressure out while it was lit with gasoline.

Edit- talking about companies that put pride in their work, I am gonna buy a Coleman 442 next, and hopes it is of fair quality and not some rubbish production. Think my Coleman 502 has been one of the faulty produced ones which is almost NOS because it worked wery badly, yet I managed to fix it at least so much that it now can boil some water. :)

5. Viscara United States

The 442 will suit you well. Even a 553 is a well found friend.

6. Linus

It would work better if you had the Kerosene jet. After looking at th photos on the box. Gaslonine Stove sticks out. I guess I did not see that part. They probably omit the extra jet. Having multiple jets makes a difference. Preheating is a big time important step for Kerosene.

7. Kristian123

Hum, will try to get an extra jet for kerosene, hopefully the jet from the other models might work.

Preheating this stove works wery well, I like the way it is made so one can use it in cold climates.

When it runs on kerosene it has yellow flames and every now and then sends a little ball of fire.

8. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

the stainless steel generator is the reason kero doesnt work well. If it had been brass or even steel like the colemans etc it would of worked fine.
    On some other stoves people have got kero working better by wraping the generator with brass wire. This might also work here

9. alnl1996

alnl1996 Canada Subscriber

It doesn't look like a bad stove, and for the price...if it simmered that would be a bonus.
    However I would not take this stove out in the middle of know where and trust it with my life.
    just saying...

10. Linus

Generator tube: would wrapping a piece of solid coper electrical wire (no insulation) work? What happens with galvanic differences (corrosion)?

11. Kristian123

Gonna try also to wrap the generator with brass. Hopefully the producer of BRS can send med some new jets, just hope they can read English, if not I will use a Chinese translator.

Would say that the thing that is weakest on this stove would be the valve on the tank lid.

12. theyellowdog New Zealand

Be careful not to over heat the stove if you try wrapping the generator in copper. It could over pressurise, maybe.

The msr xgk and go system flexi fuel have stainless generators, they look stainless to me. Both burn kero well.

The position of the generator and the jet size are probably the key factors.

13. Kristian123

Gonna try to get a jet for kerosene and also a jet for petrol from the producer of BRS which is a Chinese company who have mostly Chinese written on their webpage. Does anybody know if they might speak English in that company? I can use Chinese translator, but I am not quite sure if it will work.

14. Linus

I wrapped a piece of copper wire around the generator tube on the BRS-8a. That helped the startup geatly.

15. Primus 96 United Kingdom

I had seen the TK111 stove before, not the Bulin BRS12. I therefore looked on the internet.
    The other examples of the BRS12 I have seen have the generator run direct to the fuel valve.
    I am just wondering what the addition represents.
    Is it addressing a safety concern or a matter of operational convenience, (controllability)
    A Coleman 400 has two controls. As I have never used one I do not know how the two interact when lighting and cooking with the stove.
    40 UKP/63 USD is the rate for the unmodified BRS12. The strangest thing is that I have seen the modified example cheaper, at 32 UK/52 US.
    You could definitely score a Coleman 400 series and restore it back to as-new state for the same or maybe less.
    I suspect the burner on the Coleman is more controllable, as we usually find is the case with a silent vs roarer burner.

16. geeves

having the generator run direct off the tank causes 2 issues. First and most important is that a failure leaves little or no way to turn off. A read on the coleman 501 gives an example of what might happen.Second the valve has to heat before proper vaporisation which can cause it to flair like some coleman 505s. Not a big issue but exciting to uninformed bystanders

17. Primus 96 United Kingdom

The valve with the red tag does have a positive shut off when the tank is pressurised?
    The modified BRS12 has an extra shut off valve and the narrow bit of copper tube slows down fuel flow.
    I would guess it reduces the risk of flaring and might make the stove less of an all-or-nothing device.
    If these changes duplicate the arrangement on a genuine Coleman they make sense if the stove is safer to use.
    It is still odd that the un-modified version costs more, especially if it is more dangerous.

18. Primus 96 United Kingdom

I have looked at more images of the BRS12.
    It is made by Futailong.
    It appears the modification might be something to do with getting the twisted metal cord out from the inside of the generator tube to clean it without the need of major disassembly & thus the possibility of a major leak after re-assembly is reduced.
    No, you wouldn't trust your life to it.
    Also using it on kerosene might not be a wise thing to do long-term. If it works after employing the brass wire trick. Well it is your stove, your money.

19. Primus 96 United Kingdom

There are still the unmodified stoves around in Aug 2014. The capilliary tube must be a welcome addition to regulate fuel flow.
    Makes me wonder if there have been problems (accidents) to provoke the change.

Does the valve give a positive shut-off, even with a pressurised tank?
    More worrying is if the Chinese never copied Coleman's use of the screw needle-valve in the base of the pump as insurance against NRV failure.

These stoves are really disposable items, because you don't seem to be able to get main spares separately like seals & replacement generators.
    Does this stove have a cleaning wire like a Coleman?
    It would certainly be a grave mistake to use anything other than white-gas or panel wipe in one.

20. geeves

there are 2 features on the colemans. First is the screw down valve second is that the pump has a tube to the top of the tank so only vapour will come out in case of a leak. Against them though is that if overfilled they flood the burner. If had this happen once but it was cold and nothing lit. I also saw it happen to another stove which had lit. Bit of a panic seeing liquid fuel coming out of the bottom of a running burner. Got it turned off before it lit luckily.
    It might be these stoves also vent the pump to the top of the tank.