Brunton Vapor AF

Discussion in 'Japan' started by yonadav, May 9, 2012.

1. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

I recently bought a brand new Brunton Vapor AF. Got it at a decent price from Moontrail.

First and foremost, here's a flame shot:

1336572919-IMG_4667.JPG

The stove looks well made, folds into a compact package, allegedly will burn any fuel (so far only tested with kerosene), and is easy to set up and use.

1336574404-IMG_4653.JPG

1336574436-IMG_4655.JPG

1336574460-IMG_4656.JPG

There is a lot of similarity with the XGK-EX and the Primus Omnifuel (although I do not have either).

The burner design is somewhat unique. It only has one jet for all fuels. The outer burner cup can be twisted left or right, changing the air intake openings of the inner bell. Twist left for liquid fuels, twist right (smaller openings) for Gas. The flame spreader is held in place by a spring, making it very easy to remove, but also to get lost. The three swivel pot rests fold out to form a wide and stable base, and are held together by a hinge above the burner. This makes the contraption very sturdy and stable, but restricts access to the jet. I am afraid it will also prohibit the use of a silent cap, unless a very slim one is made.

The fuel hose is flexible, and attaches to the pump with a standard gas canister thread (presumably compatible with Primus and other pumps).

There are two valves - main valve near the pump, and simmer control on the burner.

The pump is plastic :( , similar to the MSR grey pump. However, it has a "flip tank to turn off" system like the Primus pumps.

1336574493-IMG_4658.JPG

1336574511-IMG_4660.JPG

I tried the stove a couple of times with kerosene. I primed with alcohol (there is a priming pad), but the burner was still not hot enough when the alcohol burned out. Priming sort of continued with some liquid fuel squirting out and generating soot, but soon things stabilized and I got a beautiful, strong blue flame (with only some hints of yellow). There is more yellow in the flame when you turn it down to simmer.

I love the "flip tank to turn off" system. This is one big advantage over the XGK. I hate the spilling of fuel from the fuel line of an XGK when I disconnect it, especially when I use the foul smelling kerosene.

All in all, I feel this is an excellent stove, although I still have to give it more use. I don't use my stoves in extreme conditions (low temp, high altitude), so I cannot compare it with the aces in these environments.

1336574665-IMG_4662.JPG

1336574741-IMG_4663.JPG

1336574779-IMG_4665.JPG

1336574799-IMG_4666.JPG

1336574823-IMG_4668.JPG

Yonadav

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. RonPH

Contratulations Yonadav, those are also fine stoves. Yup, mine works a treat with all types of fuel and the only thing to adjust is sliding from gas to liquid on the feedtube although I did not notice much difference.

Ron

3. hikin_jim

Yonadav,

I use the flip stop technique on my MSR stoves frequently. Is there a reason you can't use the flip stop on your XGK?

HJ

4. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

Thanks for the tip, HJ. The MSR pump has a tab that locks the metal block from rotating. In order to flip the tank, you have to unlock the retaining clip and pull the fuel line some 3 mm out of the pump. I am concerned that the tank pressure may cause the fuel line to shoot out of the pump. Is this a false concern?

Yonadav

5. itchy

Yonadav,

If you have an MSR, give it a try. You should find you can flip the bottle without any of those gymnastics.

6. theyellowdog

Hi Yonadav. I think you have a xgk with the solid fuel line. That being the case you can't rotate the fuel line, but you can rotate the entire stove, if you can be bothered holding it.

7. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

Of course I have an XGK with the solid fuel line. They all have it. Only the XGK-EX has a flexible line.

Will the XGK burn upside down?

8. theyellowdog

Hi, Jim is referring to rotating the rubber fuel line where it meats the block. It works well however it pays to be careful with msr fuel lines as they are not sold separately. Not a problem if you live in the US, as MSR will fix it cheaply but over here in the cheap seats you are looking at DIY repair or replacing the entire burner unit in the (unlikely?) event of a fuel line failure.

Doc Mark pointed out to me sometime ago an old set of instructions for the xgk, or gk (solid fuel line). They said to simmer, turn off the stove so the flame goes out, flip the entire thing, turn on the stove to release pressure out the jet. Turn it back over and re-light it. I tried it and found it a bit smelly (on kero). Does this work this the stove lit? I am 99% sure I tried it and it did work. I do not have a xgk now so can't try again. I can't see why it would not work.

9. butthead

1422825558-PC120055_opt.jpg 1422825240-PC120053_opt.jpg 1422825282-PC120057_opt.jpg 1422825302-P1110002_opt.jpg 1422825323-P1110010_opt.jpg

Picked this up last Nov. Running a Primus pump and adapter for liquid fuel (burning Coleman in photo).

KM

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015