Bulgarian petrol stove

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by presscall, Jan 2, 2016.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Well that's where I got it from and where I see they're currently available from on ebay, though I didn't buy mine - it was a gift from another Bulgarian source when we agreed a price on a BAT and a Bevarex stove.

It's quite crudely made, is a poor performer susceptible to being extinguished in a gentle breeze without separate windshielding and has no safety valve or alternative overpressurisation device, such as a Primus 71 pin arrangement.

image.jpg

A manufacturer's identification stamp I assume and a possible date. ^ and B have me stumped.

image.jpg

Size comparison with a Svea 123R.

image.jpg

The riser tube spun round in the fuel tank when I received the stove and I flowed a fillet of soft solder around the joint.

image.jpg

I made no effort to wipe off excess solder, since it was still a neater job than the manufacturer's effort on the tank riser tube.

image.jpg

The burner head ...

image.jpg

... screws onto there once the circular brass disc protecting the tank from radiant heat (and incorporating a priming cup) is slipped on first.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Given the absence of an overpressurisation device and with a nagging doubt that a soldered riser tube (as opposed to the taper screw fitting I was mostly used to in a small petrol stove) might not cope with conducted heat down the stem, I initially fuelled the stove with alcohol.

I needn't have bothered. I got barely a glimmer out of it, incapable of generating enough heat for combustion, let alone anything capable of boiling a kettle.

With Aspen alkylate petrol in the tank a modest but usable flame was possible, bringing a litre of water to the boil in eight minutes. Thankfully, the riser tube didn't get anywhere near hot enough to melt the solder.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

John

2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Interesting to see one in such detail John. Seen these on ebay many times.

3. presscall

One to be avoided at any price if someone has a 'user' stove in mind!

4. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Ahaa, you got one!
    I have resisted the temptation to buy one of these. The seller started at £300 and after about 6-8 months was down at £15!! :mrgreen:
    A big seller eh? :lol:

Thanks for the break-down and running shots, a great addition for the gallery! :thumbup: :content:

Alec.

5. presscall

I must emphasise, Alec - in case anyone were to doubt my sanity - that I didn't actually buy it. £300 at one point eh? £40 currently with one listing I see. You were right to resist the temptation.

John

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi John, it is good to see that you have one of these stoves and have given us all clear reasons why to not buy one as a 'user' stove.
    But, I must admit that I like the combined spirit cup/windshield.

7. presscall

The heatshield/spirit cup is probably its best feature, no matter that there's so little heat for the fuel tank to be shielded from.

It's 'brasswear' essentially and reminds me of one of those little lady figurines with a flared skirt incorporating a bell. It's for a shelf, to collect dust.

I might well fit a clapper to it and resurrect it as a entry in the Frankies, Mods and Hybrids forum. A stove combined with a bell to summon guests when the water's boiled for afternoon tea. They'd have a long wait ...

John

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  8. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

Hi John,
    Enclosing it in a wrap around wind shield would probably increase the output. But, then again, as it's so easy to extinguish could some other way to preheat it allow the heat shield to be left off to see if the performance can be improved?
    Regards,
    John

9. presscall

Hi John

Downside is that hot-rodding it to improve performance - were that possible - would expose the potential flaws of a soft-soldered riser stem joint and lack of safety release valve.

A 'wrap around' windshield might just push it into 'pipe bomb' category.

John

10. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

Hi John,
    I see where you're coming from. Testing it to destruction would be a tad foolhardy. I was merely thinking of seeing if it has more firepower to give then stop (blow it out or take the wind shield away) before it got to that stage. I take it that a svea 123 or similar filler cap wouldn't fit. You've said it's a bit gutless so that's a good enough reason not to buy one from my perspective.
    Regards
    John

11. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Like it - Always a sympathetic repair! :lol:

12. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

10 80 лв
    this is price in "leva" currency
    Bulgarian Lev (лв)