Bull Dog brand kettle

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by presscall, Jul 12, 2015.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Handsome-looking kettle, British manufacture so maximum capacity in Imperial Pints is 1 3/4, or the equivalent of the 1-litre Primus Litech I've pictured it with

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

The Registered Design number on the base checks out as a 1956 registration - it's a case of identifying the date year by consulting a table such as this one:- http://www.925-1000.com/registry.html

4.JPG

I applied to the National Archive for a copy of the Registered Design for the kettle, stumped up the princely sum of £4-something (including postage) and got a couple of photocopies back showing contemporary photographs of the prototype kettle. There was no accompanying text, which disappointed me a little, since I'd have liked to have read the designer's reasoning for putting the (uninsulated) folding wire handles outboard - they get scorching hot in use (the Bull Dog bites) and the offset weight of a kettle full of water makes it difficult to lift the kettle.

The barrel distortion on the prints is down to my camera and not the copying process

5.JPG

6.JPG

Posing the production model kettle to reproduce the perspectives the prototype was photographed by clearly shows a more curved shape on the prototype and differences in the detailing, primarily the handle shape and fixing arrangement

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

In use it's wholly impractical. I've even tried some silicone sleeving on the handles and the silicone scorches at the ends nearest the flame - even with the moderate flame spread of the Primus 96. Simply, the handle's too low down and near the flame

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

Curious design dead-end.

John

2. jbf

jbf Subscriber

Looks like a shelf queen, hope you have the space. Lovely to look at, thanks for the education use wise.
    john

3. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Use a pot holder?

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

A very nicely shaped camping kettle - but as you say, there is no easy way to pick it up when hot.

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Great research John. Hope you find a way to use it. Looks like a ideal candidate for a speedster windshield. I have a Ti pot with handles like that & they stay cool on the windshield Gary made for it.

6. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Neat looking kettle. It is a pity about the handle.

7. presscall

Spiritburner said,

Made sense, so I gave it a try with the windshield of the set I bought from Gary at Newark. The stone base is to project my decking from scorching.

Success! Though the aluminium of the kettle obviously reaches the temperature of the boiling water inside, the steel handles poke out between the gap in the windshield, so they're in cool air, are shielded from the burner heat and don't get too hot to hold. Nice one Ross and Gary!

13.JPG 14.JPG 15.JPG 16.JPG 17.JPG 18.JPG 19.JPG

John

8. Dutch_Peter

Hi John,

Perhaps you could tie or knot some tight rope windings around the handles (like on the hilt of a survival knife). Sisal rope worked for me on another kettle, although the sisal wasn't directly in the flame.

Cheers,
    Peter

9. presscall

It's a good idea Peter, especially if I use it with spirit stoves for a gentler, less intense flame.

John

10. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Like my kettle in my avatar - string then coated in epoxy as the rubber was long gone & I don't think I'd heard of silicon tubing all those years back. The end's charrred & smelt for a few brews but been sound for years