1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burmos No. 21

Discussion in 'Townson & Coxson' started by Tony Press, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Here is a Burmos No. 21 that looks like it has never been used... but, I am assured by the seller, it had been restored (15 years ago) before I bought it.

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

The shaped leg holders.
    IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

A fixed pump cup.
    IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

Seeing that it has been restored, and not unfired, I'll have to get some flame shots.

Cheers

Tony

2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Tony, that is a good looking stove and it is obviously in first class condition.
    Thanks for photographing it so well for the SRG. All the detail can be seen and members can compare it to their own Burmos stoves.

Hopefully you will be able to get a perfect flame from it.
    In another thread about which stoves are not worth bothering with, Terry wrote . . . .
    I am hoping that your stove will delight Terry.

3. Tony Press

@shagratork & @Trojandog

That's a challenge, then! I'll see if I can get it going tomorrow night!

Cheers

Tony

4. Jeopardy

Jeopardy United Kingdom Subscriber

High Tony,

That's a very nice example with the engraving etc. Do you have the green and maroon coloured tin?

Try it with a 1/4 filled fount the first time. They are prone to split pump tubes but otherwise they work as well as any 1 pinter that I've tried. The added bonus is the access to the jet / nipple from the top of the burner when you remove the screw in the top.

Regards
    John

5. shueilung.2008 Uruguay

Really well thougt roarer and the stove is in outstanding condition.
    Cheers,
    Enrique

6. Tony Press

Where do I start?

1. @Trojandog & @shagratork

Trojandog gets soothsayer of the week award for saying he'd never seen a well made Burmos.

I did fire it up!!! But... It was leaking air out of the pump. So I attempted to remove the NRV: CRACK!!!!!! The end of the pump tube snapped off. No worries. De-soldered the pump tube...

At the same time, I had noticed when alight that the nipple (jet) was wonky and the flame off-centre. When I went to replace the nipple in the normal way: gentle, no force, the burner tubes twisted like they were putty, and the f¥<€!>g nipple snapped off!!!!

Photos will follow when I get some sleep and humour.

Tony

7. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Awwwwwwwww, Tony.
    I had hoped that your Burmos was going to be the exception to the rule.
    The things that you have just described are the things that other members have mentioned over the years.

8. Tony Press

9. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

when i get to mine .
    i hope it is better behaved ,:) :)

kerry

10. Jack Enright

Jack Enright United Kingdom Subscriber

Re. the tapered thread on the base of the burner; am I right in assuming that the design relies purely on the tapered threads to seal the joint between the burner and tank? Or do you also need some kind of sealant, such as PTFE tape?

I ask because in the last photo (post-fettling), it looks like traces of white on the visible threads.

Thanks, and best regards,
    Jack

11. Tony Press

@Jack Enright

The tapered thread provides the seal.

In the photograph above, the white material in the thread would be the remnants of the Autosol I used to polish the stove.

I usually put a smear of copper grease on burner threads when I'm puttting a stove back together. I've never needed to use thread tape (fingers crossed).

Best regards

Tony

12. Jack Enright

Cheers, Tony! I think both of my Burmos's are going to take some work to get going - particularly the No.21, which won't pressurise at all. So, when I get them sorted, I'll just give the threads a thin wipe of Copaslip, and leave it at that.

Many thanks, and best regards
    Jack

13. Tony Press

@Jack Enright

If I correctly recall previous discussions about Burmos, one of the issues is cracked pump tubes. If yours won't hold pressure, check that.

Tony

14. Jack Enright

@Tony Press

I read about that endemic problem with Burmos stoves, and looked down the 21 pump bore with a small, very bright LED torch; I couldn't see any sign of a split, so before attempting to remove the tube, I'll get an NRV removal tool, and check that, first. It might just need a new pip . . . [-o< . . . or, then again, it might be one of those "marathon pump tube out and NRV rebuild fettles, with 300 pictures" . . . requiring mega caffeine fixes to see me through it! :cry: But I can at least make myself a brew on the Svea 5, or the Primus Mimer, both of which work fine!

The big Burmos (about the size of my Svea 5), does pressurise, and gets as far as lighting - but won't keep going more than a few seconds before the pressure starts to drop, and the blue flame dies down - unless I keep pumping. The sealing washers between the riser / spirit cup / burner all look well past their 'best before' date, so a full set of new washers, NRV pip and pump leather are obviously a good initial investment

We shall see . . .

With best regards,
    Jack

Oh, and I scored a 5 litre container of meths the other day at an agricultural merchants - at about half the price per litre than B & Q were charging. Must have a look at Speedster's spirit stoves . . . :whistle: :mrgreen:

15. Graham P Australia

Might be able to identify leak if you pump pressure remove plunger and fill pump tube with water , see if you have bubbles. If not empty & dunk whole tank under water, only bubbles should be from fuel nozzle

16. Jack Enright

@Graham P
    They sound like easy and useful checks, Graham - thank you!

And best regards,
    Jack

17. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce Australia Subscriber

My BURMOS had a crack in the tube, it if cleaned well solder will stick.
    Only thing a bit of build up will make the pump tube difficult to put in , but it is doable . The bottom part where the NRV screws in is too tight on the tube which leads to the crack. It's seems like the only way apart from a completely new tube. This repair works well.

Cheers
    Rob

18. Jack Enright

@Robert Bruce

Thank you for this info, Rob - I'll bear it in mind; fortunately, I'm pretty good at soldering, having cut my teeth on it with my dad's solid copper bit, gas stove heated iron and Baker's Fluid, over 60 years ago!

With best regards,
    Jack

19. Robert Bruce

Sounds good Jack, you should have no trouble.

Cheers
    Rob

20. Robert Bruce

Jack, once done the BURMOS is a great user. I need a little thread tape on the riser, does not seem to seal propley. Mine is in a box collapsed down, but there is not much room saved unless it's in a tin. The burner is really great the noisey one. You will like the whole set up.

Cheers
    Rob