1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burmos no 96 pocket outfit.

Discussion in 'Townson & Coxson' started by nmp, Dec 5, 2015.

1. nmp

nmp United Kingdom Subscriber

image.jpg image.jpg
    Nice complete boxed outfit in need of a little TLC. Burner bowl is siezed onto the lipstick and washers all need changing of course.
    Nice ingraved tank as opposed to the later stamped lettering.
    Also nice to find the instruction card with it.The only thing missing is the windshield?
    Original cardboard box as well.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Interesting, Nick, a Burmos 96 sold in a box without the tin, as the Swedish equivalents were offered as an option.

Is it a runner? Why I ask is that two out of three Burmos 96's I've had have required NRV pip renewal and the pump tube end cap with the NRV immovable in it has sheared off, requiring pump tube removal to sort it.

John

3. nmp

Evening John I am sure it will run but have only got as far as the siezed burner bowl.
    I will have a go at the NRV in a minute .........

4. nmp

NRV OUT!
    I put plus gas down the tube and filled the tank with boiling water for a few minutes then applied a bit of force and crack! It undid!
    Phew!

5. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Lovely set! :thumbup:
    Without a tin, unusal! :-k

Try heating and quenching to free the bell, squirt cold water down the vap once its red hot, this can be enough to shock it free.
    I have had surprising success with the method! :content:

Alec.

6. nmp

Thanks rangie got it off with heat plus gas cold water etc.

7. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi John, I thought it was the larger model that had the problem with the pump tubes? (the N°21 size). I've just started to have a look at all my N°96 sized stoves, they usually have the small dia pump tube but one has a 'large' sized one. It is one of my British ones (will see which one), and it came with a long rod! Will have to do something about that...
    Hi Nick, I like this size of stoves very much, they may be small but they are good performers in a small package! My Burmos came without any packaging, no tin nor cardboard box sadly. I'll look out for a suitably sized tin, may have to eat extra cookies....:D/:lol:.

Best regards,

Wim

8. presscall

9. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi John, had it all wrong, it is a Duo Burn I have (just went to have a look). I do have some of the larger size. The 'fat' pump tube is on a Monitor (later model I think, the one that 'looks older':roll: has the small tube).

Best regards,

Wim

10. nmp

John
    Do you think your bad luck with the pump tubes was coincidence? Or bad luck? Or a generally bad run of manufacturing?
    I have I soldered many pump tubes back in but always dread having to do it, let alone having the end cap just falling off inside the tank!
    Cheers Nick

11. presscall

I concluded it was poor manufacturing in that thread above, Nick. The evidence was there of inadequate soldering technique. I expect the soldering was done by hand and someone with a shortfall in terms of technique could have been responsible for a lot of defective stoves. Even if inspected or tested the fault wouldn't have shown up. It's just decades later when I've wanted to remove the NRV that the solder joint failed.

John

12. nmp

I thought that was your conclusion when I read the original post.mlets hope mine is not another example just waiting to go as I tighten it back up.

Just soaking a leather cup overnight before reassembly tomorrow.
    Nick

13. Jeopardy

Jeopardy United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Nick,
    John is probably on the mark regards a lack of skills at the factory. All of my Burmos 1 pinters (here) had problems including parts that were rammed together so tightly that the pump tube was split. Maybe that would have caused the lack of solder too.
    Regards
    John

14. nmp

image.jpg The tip of the NRV inlet was mangled so I ended up with a pump tube full of fuel so I tried cleaning it up without success,so fitted a new one,the jet orifice was was oversized so that was preened several times and this is the result!

15. Longilily

Longilily United Kingdom Subscriber

Nice

And well done :thumbup:

16. nmp

Long illy I see you are from dugeness it's one of my favourite places.I enjoy the fish and chips in the Pilot then a walk out to the lighthouse and the bird observatory , love all of the railway carriage cottages etc.
    Cheers Nick

17. Longilily

Hi Nick

Yes it can be a very popular place for people to visit, some for the RSPB, some for the Light houses, power station, the fishing ,light railway and the 'Listening ears' from the war. I've since moved but I'm still only 3miles away, think I'll finish my days here on the marsh as well as starting here :whistle:

'The Pilot' still remains to do well with the locally caught cod and chips !

Some of those Carriage Cottages fetch around £200,000 now :shock:

Not bad for what's nothing more than an abandoned mini railway carriage left on the shingle spit of Dungeness and converted to a living accommodation some decades ago

Cheers Nick

Ray

18. nmp

Never know might bump into you one day having a brew up on the beach.
    Not surprised about the prices one of them has even featured on tv.aprt from DEREK Jarmans of course.

Cheers Nick

19. Longilily

Ok Nick :thumbup: cool 8)

20. Longilily

Feel free to Shout me when your down Nick :thumbup: we'll have a brew somewhere or other