Burner Jet Threads... Dealing with a leak

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Plantpot, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Plantpot United Kingdom

As The title says... is there anything that can act as a seal on these tiny fine threads to stop them leaking?

Its all too easy to wreck the burner thread female socket by over-tightening... any ideas that will stand the heat? Silver brazing for me is out of the question as it is permanent and I don't have the tools to do it.

I am using fettlebox jets on original 1930's burners, are the modern threads the same as the original as they leak when tried to fit, even with a good tighten or is it time for a new modern small roarer burner from ebay?

Fettlebox does not seem to do the small burners for the primus 210/00 stoves.

Just a passing thought:
    Has anyone tried using a thin strip of aluminium foil (like from your kitchen) to act like plumbers tape on the thread or would it destroy the burner threaded socket? (even if you could get the jet in the hole with the strip on it?) would it cope with the heat if it worked?

So to recap: Leaking jet nipple on burner, how to fix?

Thanks all

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Plantpot
    A smear of graphite grease has been cited as a cure. I don’t think so to be honest. There’s got to be a good match of unworn jet seat threads to jet threads. Certainly a little graphite grease is helpful as an anti-sieze lubricant to ensure the jet can be installed without risk of threads binding and potentially having the jet shear off.

3. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

@Plantpot I have found that on a few occasions a smear of exhaust paste on the threads can help. Exhaust paste expands when it is heat cured. The result, however, even when it works, can only be regarded as a temporary fix with a limited life span. So OK for occasional demonstration firing, but not for a regular user.
    The root of the problem is badly worn or part-stripped threads in the burner body. So-called 'repair' jet nipples, which have tapered threads, are available. Unfortunately these are very difficult to use successfully without the taper thread taps which were once offered for initial preparation of the the worn seat; sadly these special taps are now unavailable.
    Ian:thumbup: