Ca 1930 "Cobra" heater/stove combo

Discussion in 'France' started by Conny C, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Conny C

Conny C Subscriber

A close call if this would qualify as a heater/stove combo, but the "cook top" disc is there on top of the reflector, and I'm convinced it can also brew you a nice cup of coffee; sure hot on the top of the heater disc. The "cook top" disc had the main purpose to have a pot of water so the heater also could serve as a humidifier. This is a "Cobra" branded French parabolic heater, made around 1930 from the Moufflet & Cie company in Paris.

I had a donor Cobra heater to make this one complete, but the overall condition was good.
    Just a bit of cleaning of the burner parts. The heater reflector and tank with handle had a smooth and even brownish patina, I wouldn't polish that off. These heaters give a lot of heat; raised the temperature in my cold shed with 5 degrees Celsius in just a couple of minutes.
    Attached you find a 1933 page from a Moufflet & Cie catalogue. and also a 1924/25 Moufflet heater patent.

I've now got most of the known French parabolic heater brands, I just miss one or two.

/Conny

Cobra parabolic heater.jpg

Cobra parabolic heater back side.jpg Cobra parabolic heater parts.jpg Cobra parabolic heater tank.jpg Cobra parabolic heater logo.jpg Cobra parabolic heater filler plug and pump.jpg Cobra parabolic heater cook top.jpg Namnlöst-1 kopiera.jpg Cobra parabolic heater pre heating fork.jpg Cobra parabolic heater blue flame.jpg Cobra parabolic heater red burner heater dome.jpg Cobra parabolic heater burning.jpg Moufflet Cobra Melius 1933 catalouge.jpg Cobra Moufflet 1924 25 patent.jpg

2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

A good post with great photos.
    Including it as a heater/stove is fine by me.

Here is an extract from a 1933 catalogue courtesy of the Ultimheat Museum.

Cobra.jpg

3. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Thanks for sharing your heater and the information about its maker. That pre-heater is pretty cool. At first I thought you'd lost the spirit cup but I see from the paperwork that it never had one.

BTW, I think pressure heaters like this are a natural fit for this website even if they aren't exactly stoves or camping related. They are so similar to pressure stoves I think everyone here can relate and appreciate them. I'll have to get working on that little Cobra Stove I've got around here somewhere.

Ben

4. optipri

A great item and a great restoration, as usual. I really like the small coking plate on the top. This makes it a worthy item on CCS.

Bo

5. Michel

Michel Subscriber

the plate on the parabole is not for making coffee ;-) too small
    This is a plate for a small copper recipient for humidification of the room
    one put water in. The french name is "saturateur"
    one can find those support on most of french heaters

cobra saturateur.jpg satu.JPG

6. Conny C

Conny C Subscriber

Well Michel…….."air humidification" hmmm...….that´s what is said in the catalogue ads. I´m sure I can make myself a nice cup of instant coffee, by boiling
    water on that heater stand, in a small steel mug. But that´s another cup of ….:lol:;)

/Conny