CA Stove Gathering, #2??

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Doc Mark, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Doron Papo

Doron Papo Subscriber

Just joined this thread and :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Well done!!
    looks like great time and a huge haul of stoves ovens and more
    fantastic!!
    as a hidden lampie :lol: what is the left most object?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Doron,

Thanks, very much! The item at the left of the photo of Jim's goodies, is actually an old Formaldehyde Generator, which was used to sterilize rooms and kill germs! He didn't know what it was, but after some careful scrutiny, I found notations on the stove which led us to figure it out. Later, I found more information on it in my medical books, and online, and found out exactly how to use it. I think that Jim should take some detailed photos and post them here at CCS. This is a very nice old brass medical implement, and it dates from 1899-1905 +/- a few years. He worked on fettling it into shape, but fell a bit short after having pump tube troubles, which, by the way, are the same troubles that cause most all of us deep grief on occasion!! Neat item, though, and I was really tickled to help him suss out what it actually was and how it was used!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Friends,

Time is a bit short today, but I wanted to at least begin my report of our Gathering. As you may remember, we had a very hard time making all this come together, what with our massive Station Fire over in the area in which we'd originally planned our Gathering. But, through the Grace of God, I found a campsite very close to our home, which worked out perfectly for our CA Stove Gathering #2!!

I was first to arrive, and began setting up my camp. I had brought four tents, and wanted to set them all up, then choose whichever struck my fancy, leaving the rest as "Doc's Compound"!! ;) 8) :D I'd brought three tents from The North Face: a Westwind, a Firefly, and a Tadpole, and also the Moss Starlet GT that I got this last Spring. Paid $30 for it, in brand new condition, and it turned out to be one of the best tent buys I've ever made! After setting up two of the tents, I decided to bag my idea of a "Compound", and just sleep in the Moss. Turned out to be a perfect choice and I really love this tent!

1254244326-DSCN1540_opt.jpg

Mr and Mrs Flivver, and their "son", Furry Flivver (Mike, Laura, and Charlie) showed up about an hour or so after I began setting up my tents, and like a well-oiled camping machine, they soon had their fantastic period camp up and ready for habitation! Included in their camp, was an old Zenith Trans-oceanic short wave radio, an original wind-up Victrola record player, complete with a fine selection of period 78 rpm records, and many other wonderful items that made their camp a very warm, welcoming, and homey place to spend time!! Nicely done, Mike and Laura!!

1254244376-DSCN1537_opt.jpg

Here's Mike and Laura at their amazing Clayton and Lambert campstove! This stove, my Friends, is my new favorite, and I hold it in VERY high esteem!! It is my opinion that this type of stove was very probably marketed by companies like Abercrombie and Fitch, back in the 1920's, for very wealthy customers. It is, quite simply, one of the best designed suitcase stoves I've ever seen, and is really without peer, as far as I'm concerned!! Mike and Laura have had and used this wonderful cooking implement for a very long time, as evidenced by the very nice black and white photo they showed us of the two of them, "a little younger", using the same stove!! :thumbup: :D :clap: Make sure to ask Mike to tell you the story of, exactly, how they came to buy this one of a kind stove of theirs! It's hilarious!!

1254244398-DSCN1543_opt.jpg

Laura did a great job at creating some fine food on this stove, including baking some tasty gingerbread in their little single-walled Boss oven. That oven fits their wonderful C&L stove, perfectly!

1254244358-DSCN1536_opt.jpg

That first night, I had simple fare, consisting of two hot Italian sausages, made fresh by a local butcher shop, as well as some rotelli pasta and some good spaghetti sauce and fresh baked French bread. I cooked it all up on my MSR Dragonfly, and X-GK EX stoves. Great stoves they are, too, but not even a patch on the arse of that lovely and brilliant Clayton and Lambert in the Flivver family!! 8) 8) :clap: :clap: Great for backpacking, though, and I really like both of these MSR stoves.

1254244299-DSCN1534_opt.jpg

Note: Though it appears I've found a way to post photos, this small bit has taken my well over an hour and a half to complete. So, I'll still be seeking a way to do something like this in a much more efficient manner. Still, it's fun to be able to share more of our Gathering with you, and I've got many more photos, and more stories, to share, too! Thanks for checking it out, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. For those Stovies in California, please plan to join us at our next Gathering, which should happen in December, or maybe January. Location and dates to be announced very soon!! YES, you are going to have to make a drive to be there, my Friends! We all have to do that. But, as time passes, we'll try to move this little event around the State, so that at least once every couple of years it will be closer to you. Otherwise, whatever driving is required, will be more than worth your while!!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

ATTN: Spiritburner,

Hey, Ross, Mike asked me about whether we should be posting this info here, or in the Events Gallery. I'm thinking he might have a great point, here, but when I tried to move my recent post to the Gallery, I was unable to do so. Which way would you prefer us to add to these reports? The Gallery seems to be a better place than where we're posted Gathering photos, so far. Can you help us with this, please? Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. Jim Henderson

That is the mystery stove. I inherited it from a lady I knew in the chemical business. I had looked at the stove all over but didn't find any identification markings.

Doc solved the riddle. He saw the markings of the top front of the stand the stove sits in. I never looked at the stand, just the stove. It is rather covered with heavy patina, so I won't take full blame for missing the obvious.

It is a Parke and Davis Formaldehyde Generator. probably late 1800s or early 1900s.

Look for Formaldehyde Generator invented by Novy for info.

The top part of this "stove" has a copper domed pot with a funnel and a hose fitting. The bottom part is a kero stove and the fancy shroud is just part of the stand.

You pour in some solution that when heated generates formaldehyde. You use the hose to pump the fumes into a room thru the keyhole. The formaldehyde disinfects the entire room, and I presume kills everything in it. Used for contaminated hospital rooms.

An interesting piece of gear that uses a kero burner as a heat source.

Jim Henderson

6. Doron Papo

Doron Papo Subscriber

WOW that's interesting love to see some close up photos

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Jim, the graphic and chilling imagery you've portrayed of an early 20th century infected hospital ward being decontaminated through the keyhole using the Formaldehyde Generator is a uniquely tough post to follow with a cheery greeting and thanks to you all for the CA Gathering news and pics!

Nevertheless, congratulations on an astounding insight into your event from you, Doc, Flivver and companions. That post and the black and white photos from your neighbour on the campsite were a delight too. Black and white film stock really hits the spot for me for creating atmosphere.

Yeah, that Clayton and Lambert is the business sure enough ... Hell will freeze over before we see one on ebay ...

Thanks again to all.

Regards,

John

8. Jim Henderson

"Chilling Imagery"?? That formaldehyde generator was used to sterilize hospital rooms to make them safe for future patients, a humanitarian task to be sure.

I think it was commonly used in malaria wards and rooms contaminated with influenza, cholera etc. There was no faster better method from what I have been reading. By the way, Formaldehyde is still a very common ingredient in hair and skin care products around the world.

Early methods using formaldehyde appeared to generate too much formaldehyde too fast. "... not enough time for the nurse to get out of the room before the fumes overcame him/her". This design allowed the adminstrator to stand safely outside of the room while applying treatment. But I do like the idea of stuffing a hose in the keyhole and pumping in fumes. Does seem a bit macbre, eh.

That stove of Flivver really needs a close up look to truly appreciate how it is put together and what a great deal of thought went into it's design. For Pete's sake it even has pilot lights so you don't need to look for a match or even wait for preheating. Just turn the knob and woof, you have dinner. Each part fits or slides(on ball bearings yet) or folds into the other and it all, including the legs folds down into a suitcase style stove. Built like a Chinese Puzzle box on steroids.

I imagine some Product Manager telling an engineer who loved his job, to create the ultimate camping stove and indulge himself, "cost is no object".

Flivver and others have been looking for a similar one over many(30+?) years and have yet to find even one more example anywhere. So for now, this may be the only one you ever get to see.

Jim Henderson

9. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Great to see you guys & gals having so much fun! That C&L is certainly the DB's! I can see why you are so enamoured Doc! Right up your street!

Looks like a great location too.

Fantastic to see allhailjerry posting his great pics here - welcome!

It's a real buzz to see collectors getting together as friends around the world & I wish you many more successful meets. :clap:

Doc - I reckon you should just keep posting your pics here. I don't think the 2 forums have worked as successfully as I'd planned as there is always this dilema about where to post the pics of the event - in a new thread in the event gallery or in the old thread in the even forum? I'll take a look in the near future & maybe merge everything into one forum

10. theacox

Great pictures...although I am troubled. There doesn't seem to be adequate 'Adult Supervision' for this wild looking bunch!

;) ;)
    Tim

11. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi Jim, Doc, Hydro, John etc: Thanks for the praise on the Clayton & Lambert. I'm sure Mr. Clayton & Mr. Lambert would be happy that their marvelous creation is drawing attention all these years later. I agree the attention to detail is an engineering marvel for 1928 or today for that matter. I have seen many stoves but never before one with a design that I don't feel could be improved upon at least in some manner. I will be posting a photo essay on the stove later this week to replace the existing photo in the reference gallery due to the many requests for more detailed pictures.

Jim, please post some detailed pics of the formaldehyde generator. Mike...

Tim: You are so right! That is why we brought Charlie to keep us in line.

12. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Adult supervision:
    1254281421-Laura___Nelda_opt.jpg

The "wild bunch" on being told to sit for a photo:
    1254281448-Mike__Jim__Mark__Arch_opt.jpg

....Arch

Attached Files:

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Friends,

Here is another glimpse of our recent CA Stove Gathering #2.

Mike and Laura provided lots of entertainment, with their old Victrola record player, and also the Trans-oceanic shortwave radio. On several nights, we enjoyed some jazz music through the radio, and here's Flivver, getting ready to start an old 78rpm record. He had brought a fine selection of vintage music for this neat old record player, and it was truly unique and fun to be able to enjoy that in our camp!

1254322944-DSCN1544_opt.jpg

We got plenty of fettling done, too, some of it successful, and some of it not....! :oops: :whistle: 8-[ ;) :D Here, Mike works on a small Coleman lantern that seemed to continue leaking pressure, no matter WHAT he did! We changed o-rings, fuel caps, tightened all the fittings, and did a dunk test, all to no avail. This little lantern now belongs to Jim, who will undertake the task of trying to suss out it's problems! ;) 8) :D I'm working on a Coleman Speedmaster that I think was marketed and sold in Mexico, around 1947. It's original box, somewhat tattered, is printed in half Spanish, and half English, and the horrible residue inside the generator was very probably caused by someone using cheap, and nasty, old Mexican gasoline it this stove. It "wants" to work, and it WILL work, soon. But, during this fettle, I succeeded in breaking off the cleaning pin, and with all the other residue in the generator, from the crusty, stuck-fast spring, it continually plugged on every attempt to use it!! Oh, well.... With a new generator, cleaning needle, and spring, this old Coleman will soon be doing what it does best! It's otherwise in very good condition, and I'm truly very impressed by these old Coleman 500 Speedmaster stoves!

1254322983-DSCN1546_opt.jpg

Now, what, you may ask, did Mrs Flivver and Furry Flivver (Laura and Charlie) do whilst Mike and I banged our heads together, trying to fettle two recalcitrant items into life, without success? Well, they enjoyed one another's company, under a nice shady tree, Laura reading a good book, and Charlie enjoying his special doggie bed!

1254323008-DSCN1547_opt.jpg

I will continue to post photos, and hope they will show a little of the fun we enjoyed at our Gathering. For those that didn't make it, you missed a truly fine time! We all hope you can be there with us next time. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Attached Files:

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Gang,

Here are some more shots of our Gathering. We did enjoy some fine food, and I figured it was high
    time to show a bit of it!

As you know, I used our old Blue Bird oven, circa early 1920's to roast up a nice, juicy game hen. Here it is getting close to being ready to enjoy!

1254325079-DSCN1553_opt.jpg

Whilst the Bluebird oven, perched upon our Coleman 426 3-burner stove (with only the middle burner going) came up to it's required 400°F roasting temperature, I basted the bird in the following:
    melted butter, minced fresh garlic (one clove), fresh sage leaves (compliments of Nelda and Mac!), orange juice, white wine, black pepper, a bit of cummin, and a shake of cayenne pepper. Also, half a squeezed lime was placed inside the bird whilst it was basting. Leaving that to marinate for a bit, I fired up the wonderful Trangia 27, kindly sent my way by Ross and Tess, and made some nice fluffy rice to go with the bird. I used my tried and true method of cooking on this neat little stove: first use a popcan stove in place of the Trangia burner, to boil up water in a shake of a lamb's tail. Then, after that popcan stove has burned out, which is in only a few minutes, and my water had boiled, replace that burner with a fired up Trangia burner, with simmering ring tapped into place. Add rice to the water, and simmer until it was just perfect! If you haven't tried this combination, you really should give it a shot. It works wonderfully, and my rice was soft, fluffy, and not at all sticky! Perfect addition, along with some fresh veggies, to my roasted game hen!

1254325503-DSCN1551_opt.jpg

When all was ready, and a frosty mug of Guinness Draught had been poured, I served up my delicious comestibles! Laura asked if she could have a taste, and thought it was done perfectly, as did I! A VERY tasty meal, not only at home, but with the help of a fine little stove, a large stove, and our trusty and much beloved Bluebird oven, in camp, as well!! Cheers!!

1254325673-DSCN1554.JPG

Dish water was thoughfully provided by my wonderful and very reliable MSR X-GK EX! LOVE that cherry red, Mates!! ;) 8) :D :D/

1254325759-DSCN1541_opt.jpg

So, who says camp cooking needs to be dull and boring?? With a little planning, and the proper equipment, you can eat like a King or Queen whilst camping in the wilderness, or in our case, the very nice Dogwood Campground!! ;) 8) :clap: More later.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Attached Files:

15. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi All: More pics.

1254349179-CA_Meet_075_1_1.jpg

1254349248-CA_Meet_073_1_1.jpg

1254349267-CA_Meet_068_2_1.jpg

1254349288-CA_Meet_018_1_1.jpg

1254349324-CA_Meet_077_1_1.jpg

Mike...

Attached Files:

16. hikin_jim

Ah ha. I thought I saw a Powermax canister. I can't tell from the photo, but is that Coleman gassie a 2 burner or a single burner? Coleman made three stoves in this "X" series line of stoves, the Xtreme (1 burner, 3 legs), the Xpert, (1 burner, 4 legs), and the Xpedition (2 burners). They're really excellent stoves. Many backpackers and mountaineers consider Coleman's X series stoves to be the best winter canister (gassie) stoves. The "X" series stoves have a tube inside the fuel cansister that feeds liquid propane/butane to the burner instead of as a gas as in most gassies. The liquid feed means that the butane and propane don't have to boil and therefore are far less temperature sensitive. A normal gassie is good to about -5C (depending on fuel, proper technique, and conditions), but a Coleman "X" series gassie is good down to about -20C. Still not an arctic stove, but for most of us the ability to operate down to -20C is more than sufficient.

Unfortunately, they never caught on, and Coleman has discontiued the entire series. Some of us "X" series owners have stocked up on canisters in expectation of that inevitable day when Coleman will not only have discontinued the "X" series stoves but also their unique Powermax canisters. Coleman does make a lantern that uses Powermax canisters, so perhaps the canisters will be around a while yet.

GREAT STOVES ALL. I'm so envious. I look forward to hearing details about CASG#3.

HJ

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, HJ,

Mac's stove was the 2-burner variety, and the folks to whom he loaned it seemed to like it quite a bit. I'd love to have one, myself, and may have to seek one out. I've seen them in quite a few hunting suppliers, like Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, and the like. But, usually at full price, and not being discounted, even though discontinued, Hummm.... :-k In any case, a very nice gassie, and well worth owning and using.

Not to worry about CA Stove Gathering #3. All will be falling into place soon, with firm dates and location to be announced. We all look forward to seeing you there, if you can make it, as well as many others that missed our #2 Gathering. Fun will be had in abundance, that's for sure!! Once again, congrats on your new little one, Jim, and God Bless!!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

18. hydro451

HI All,

Doc, your killing me with those pics of your baked to perfection bird from that BlueBird oven - I think that oven might have gone missing had I been fortunate enough to attended the meet :roll: :whistle:

Great pics from everybody - Mike you all know how to do some relaxing camping- hand-cranked phonograph, radio , now thats' the way to do it :)

Tom

19. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, All,

Thought I'd toss in some fettling photos, such as I have on hand. I know that some of the others have a few fettling photos, too, and hope they will post them here.

Some of you may remember our old Glenwood Camp Stove, which we bought a few Summers ago, at a local antique store, along with our wonderful Bluebird oven. Both items were used by the Grandmother, then the Mother of the fellow who sold me the stove. Long ago, his Mom had told him that this combination had been bought around 1910, then passed down through the family. His Mother now has Alzheimer's and really could offer no other information, other than telling her son to make sure the buyer primed both burners with alcohol, otherwise the stove would smoke and the food would taste horrible!! The seller told me that was nonsense and showed just how far gone his Mum's mind was. I told him that what she had said was right on the money, and he actually began crying, telling me that was the first lucid thing his Mom had said in years!! Life is strange, indeed, Friends.

In any case, with Flivver's help, I have found that this nice old Glenwood Camp Stove, made in Pasadena California, by Foss and Jones, was made around, or very possibly before, 1923, which puts it into the range his Mom thought. Here's our neat old campstove.

1254406579-DSCN1575_opt.jpg

Until this Gathering, we'd never tried to fire this nice old stove up, but I'd wanted to begin fettling it. With help from Flivver and Mac, I decided to go for it, and after some trial and error, I had success in removing both burners, which were completely clogged up!! One note: The Mom of the seller told him that they used kerosene in this stove. One of Flivver's old books on auto camping specifically stated that this old stove was to be used with gasoline!! Interesting, eh?!! With that in mind, when we tried this stove, we used Coleman fuel. Of course, we found no fuel movement, and after having removed the burners, realized that they were both clogged up. Each burner had a roll of brass mesh stuffed up inside it, and the only way to get it out, was to heat the entire burner assembly, complete with fuel pipes, over Mike's old Coleman #1, which is a real blowtorch, then quench the works in Mac's bucket of water!! I did this several times, and then, voila, the brass mesh came out of both burners!! Here's a shot of one that I had already unrolled and cleaned, and the second one, which I had yet to unroll. Each bit of mesh also had a bit of rolled cloth inside it, which looked all the world like cheesecloth, or very old linen fabric!! Both tolls were filled with hard, chunky bits of solid old fuel!!

1254406602-DSCN1605_opt.jpg

I'll continue working on our Glenwood Camp Stove and hope to have it up and running for CA Stove Gathering #3.

The oldest stove at our #2 Gathering, belonged to Mac, and was his old Victoria stove. We believe taht this stove was the forerunner of the Max Sievert company, and that it was made around the 1880 time period. Here it is, complete with it's "Baby Butt" burner!

1254406631-DSCN1607_opt.jpg

This stove had a very odd NRV, and also the pump leather apparatus was quite different. After much scraping, sweating, and maybe bit of cursing under his breath, Mac succeeded in getting it apart, and it now wears one of Brother Sefa's fantastic pump leathers!! Here, Mac is part way through the disassembly process.

1254406646-DSCN1606_opt.jpg

Neither of our old stoves came completely around to our fettling attempts. Mac's needs a complete pump tube removal in order to get to the NRV, and the Glenwood Camp Stove needs a rebuilding of the mesh/cloth arrangement, then reassembly and testing, before it will once again work. Only God knows how many years it's been since either of these very nice Old Timers were last fired up and used. But, suffice it to say that we hope to have them both up and running, once again, in the near future!! Fun!

More photos later, Friends, and until then, God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Attached Files:

20. b-gin

Here's one at a good price:

I wanted to come down for the show, thou it would have only a day trip...maybe I could've sold you the Xpert model with fuel adapter :p. But my choices were either the CASG#2 or an upcoming camping/fishing trip to the eastern Sierras.

Maybe the CASG#x

b-gin